Swapping from Mini 2
1311 14 2022-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all and hope a happychristmas came your way.
Simple question that may have been asked but I cannot find it, who has swapped out from the Mini 2 to the Mini 3 pro and what are the percieved advantages?  Thinking of taking the plunge but don't fly that much so really don't know if it is a wise choice.  Can't see any advantage at all going for the standard Mini 3 but really fancy that nice controller even though I do use Litchi and Maven at times.  Possibly no advantage with these apps with the Mini 3 Pro.

Thanks, and appologies if this is a repeat question.
2022-12-27
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

If you only fly occasionally, it's not worth the upgrade. Plus, Litchi and Maven do not work with the Mini 3.
2022-12-27
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

usually i sell my previous drone but even after buying the mini 3 pro, i'm keeping the mini 2.
2022-12-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The BIG and ONLY advantage of the Mini 3 for me is 90° roll that is possible with the camera, ideal for tall, narrow subjects.
Nothing else that is new to it takes my fancy ...... but I think it is simply over priced so I won't buy it until the second hand prices are sensible.
Camera fogging is a concern.

2022-12-27
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Shame the Mini 2 can't use the new Controller.
2022-12-27
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

Probably no point upgrading unless you want the vertical format feature?
2022-12-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mini 3 has
1, a faster descent in sports mode 6m/s (Mini 2 only 3.5m/s)
2, longer battery and even more so when using the Plus battery
3, a more reaching gimbal = Roll  -135˚ to 45˚ pan  -35˚ to 35˚  (Mini 2  roll -20˚ to 20˚ Pan  -30˚ to 30˚)
4, 1080p live view (Mini 2 is only 720p)
5, 1.7f aperture, upto 48mp, upto 6400 iso, lower FOV though at 82.1º (Mini 2 2.8f, 12mp, 3200 iso and FOV 83º)
6, 1080 @ 120fps, upto 150mbps
7, Obstacle Avoidance with APAS 4.0
8, Master Shots
9, Hyper Lapse and Time Lapse
10, DJI RC, its a bit more programmable than the N1 (new screened RC, its not for the Mini 2, yet!)
11, Occusync 3.0, the range, for the most part, CE over rural @ 5.5km (for me), is greater than the Mini 2 at only 4.8km, but the alignment is very sensitive, you have to be spot on unless closer in.
12, quieter than the Mini 213, heavier than the Mini 2 though so even a strobe may take it over the 250g, in the UK the A2 CofC is a way around that, till end of 2025
14, can fly in -10ºC and the warranty will be safe

I found that it was a good enough upgrade, although expensive over the Mini 2, the above does make a reasonable difference, enough so that i sold my Mini 2 but kept my P4. When you take into consideration the cost of inflation due to the war in Ukraine, the price doesn't seem too much of a great leap when you look at the cost of other products, everything is going or gone up. The Mini 3 Pro came out after the war started, i have a feeling DJI probably took that into consideration when doing the pricing hence the decent jump over the Mini 2.

In my opinion, folks above have based their opinion on 1 or maybe of the above upgrades, so for them, its probably not worth it, but when you look at the list as a whole, then yeah, its worth it especially if more than just a couple of those will be of use to you.

You can always use the Mini 2 controller or if you sell that buy a used RC N1 if you want to use 3rd party apps

I have not had the fogging issue as yet and i have flown straight from my house at 17.5C to flying in 0ºC (from my garden)
2022-12-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Rockbyter. Thank you for reaching out. We'll leave the Pros and Cons feedback to our users and those who have known experience on either the DJI Mini 2 or the DJI Mini 3 Pro, or both. You may also check the Consumer Drones Comparison to see if it can help you decide. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day!
2022-12-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have not found the cash to upgrade yet, but for me the Mini 3 Pro has a couple of advantages over the Mini 2 (relevant advantages to me).
- Portrait mode. Very handy for taking manual pano's.
- AEB5 instead of 3 (I always shoot AEB, so having a bit more range is handy)
- D-Cinelike. This is my biggest disappointment in the Mini 2. I don't like the hard color profile it uses (very contrasty and saturated).

I wanted to add hyperlapse to the list, but so far most of the results I have seen are way too jumpy to be useful.
I hope the Mini3 has a better (more stable) connection than the Mini2, but I hear mixed results about that too.

The rest of the 'improvements' is 'nice to have' at best for me. Not worth upgrading, since I don't miss it on the Mini2.
2022-12-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I swapped from Mini2 to Mini3 for one main benefit that the -90 gimbal doesn't work properly on the Mini2 and it does on Mini3 Pro
2022-12-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-28 00:08
I have not found the cash to upgrade yet, but for me the Mini 3 Pro has a couple of advantages over the Mini 2 (relevant advantages to me).
- Portrait mode. Very handy for taking manual pano's.
- AEB5 instead of 3 (I always shoot AEB, so having a bit more range is handy)

I forgot about those, also 10bit as opposed to 8bit
2022-12-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 12-28 04:14
I forgot about those, also 10bit as opposed to 8bit

Yes, that is the main thing for me (I called it Cinelike, but that is not 100% correct)
2022-12-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 12-27 19:33
Mini 3 has
1, a faster descent in sports mode 6m/s (Mini 2 only 3.5m/s)
2, longer battery and even more so when using the Plus battery

When looking at the list it definitely outweighs only 1 or possibly 2 reasons to upgrade.  Again, potential buyers need to do their due diligence and look at the "whole picture".  For me the Mini 3 Pro just flat out performs the Mini 2 all day long.  
2022-12-28
Use props
fans21f46d12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129514 ft
United States

So many advantages of the M3P over the mini2.  Sell the mini 2 and get the M3P, you'll find yourself flying far more often!  And the fogging is a non issue
2022-12-28
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies, I already knew all the specs that differ and was just after an idea of the advantages for someone who doesn't delve deeply into the video and resolutions.  I mainly send it up, take a video or some pictures, get home and edit them and add a bit of music.  Maybe send them up to my youtube channel to view then move to the next time.  I will certainly consider upgrading, my grandson has just bought the Mini 3 non pro and see very little advantage apart from the better camera and portrait mode.
Thanks again for advice, always taken and helps a lot with my decision.  can't see any point in keeping the Mini 2 if I get the 3 Pro.  Have to see what sort of money I can get for it.  Batteries have had only 7 cycles.
2022-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules