2 WEEKS OLD AIR 2S SWOLLEN BATTERY
604 14 2022-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
keanhls
lvl.1
Flight distance : 180869 ft

Philippines

I discovered a small bulge on the label with two of my three batteries yesterday while cleaning my drone and its batteries. I'm shocked to find that batteries #2 and #3 are already swollen. I just recently purchased my Air 2s FMC last December 12, and all of my batteries are only at 6 cycles.

Please watch the following video ​​​​

I don't know what causes it, but as a seasoned drone pilot who previously flew the Mini 2 before upgrading to the Air 2s this year, I am also aware of how to care for a DJI battery. I don't believe it is likely that I treated these batteries poorly from the time I purchased them. These batteries are not overcharged nor over discharge. Even if I store them at between 40 and 60 percent, I don't even immediately recharge them after a flight; instead, I wait at least 15 to 30 minutes for my batteries to cool down.

It seems this is not normal for an almost new batteries with just low cycle. Is there a possibility that I may get these batteries replaced?

2022-12-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can open a case at http://repair.DJI.com
2022-12-29
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

I just checked two of mine. I'm not sure that is swelling. Looks more like manufacturing tolerances to me.
2022-12-29
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24446450 ft
United States

I had my Mini 2 batteries start to swell after about 18 months of use. I have Care Refresh, so I contacted DJI Support and they replaced all 3 batteries for free.
2022-12-29
Use props
keanhls
lvl.1

Philippines

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-29 08:46
I just checked two of mine. I'm not sure that is swelling. Looks more like manufacturing tolerances to me.

What do you mean by that? Could you please elaborate it more? Manufacturing tolerances are not something I am very familiar with. Did you also mean that your two batteries have this slight bulge? Would you kindly share some pictures of your batteries with me?
2022-12-29
Use props
keanhls
lvl.1

Philippines

blue_canyon21 Posted at 12-29 08:46
I had my Mini 2 batteries start to swell after about 18 months of use. I have Care Refresh, so I contacted DJI Support and they replaced all 3 batteries for free.

I didn't register with DJI Care Refresh, but I'm hoping they can give me a free service/replacement as my drone is still under warranty and just recently purchased. Thanks for sharing though.
2022-12-29
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

keanhls Posted at 12-29 08:56
What do you mean by that? Could you please elaborate it more? Manufacturing tolerances are not something I am very familiar with. Did you also mean that your two batteries have this slight bulge? Would you kindly share some pictures of your batteries with me?

Yes, mine have this slight "bulge". Manufacturing tolerance, simply, is the minimum to maximum measurement of a finished product/component that will fit or work properly.
2022-12-29
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

keanhls Posted at 12-29 08:58
I didn't register with DJI Care Refresh, but I'm hoping they can give me a free service/replacement as my drone is still under warranty and just recently purchased. Thanks for sharing though.

You can still get Care Refresh, but you have to qualify. Look it up. It IS worth having.
2022-12-29
Use props
keanhls
lvl.1

Philippines

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-29 09:48
Yes, mine have this slight "bulge". Manufacturing tolerance, simply, is the minimum to maximum measurement of a finished product/component that will fit or work properly.

Oh, I see. How old is your battery anyway? And any case with your batteries getting worse or the swell part is getting big? So, you think in my case my batteries don't count as swollen?
2022-12-29
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

keanhls Posted at 12-29 09:53
Oh, I see. How old is your battery anyway? And any case with your batteries getting worse or the swell part is getting big? So, you think in my case my batteries don't count as swollen?

Three of my batteries are a year old, two about six months and the sixth about two months. LOTS of charges on the three.
2022-12-29
Use props
Flyin Ryan 406
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2334925 ft
United States

I noticed that on my new Air 2s when I bought it new in April. Mine haven’t changed and are exactly the same 9 months later.
2022-12-29
Use props
keanhls
lvl.1

Philippines

Flyin Ryan 406 Posted at 12-29 14:32
I noticed that on my new Air 2s when I bought it new in April. Mine haven’t changed and are exactly the same 9 months later.

Are your batteries that have this slight swell are those 2 that comes with the fly more combo? Because mines are, only those 2 that comes free with the FMC have slight swell unlike the other 1 that was in the drone.
2022-12-29
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

I just checked my other four for you. All six are the same, from one year to two months old - all the same. You have no swelling.
2022-12-29
Use props
keanhls
lvl.1

Philippines

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-29 18:41
I just checked my other four for you. All six are the same, from one year to two months old - all the same. You have no swelling.

Wow! That's so kind of you, I can now have a peace of mind. Maybe I'll just keep an eye on these batteries just to be safe. Thank you so much for your help and sorry for the trouble.
2022-12-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. If your battery is still in the warranty period, you may contact our support for help. Here is the link: https://www.dji.com/support?from=store_footer
2022-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules