what is the cheapest DJI for FAA Part 107?
875 25 2022-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nostalgiablk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17211 ft
United States

I am trying to stay on the "legal" side of my droning hobby (I sell and post videos I make with my drone) so I got my FAA Part 107. I currently own a DJI MINI 2 but was told it will not have the remote id required come Sept 2023. So I am on the hunt for a drone that i can use with my FAA Part 107.

I found this article (https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-top-drone-models-approved-faa-remote-id) it shows the MINI 3 Pro should work BUT when I went to the FAA site i found this. (https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs/RID000000062) and it just says the Mini 3. With such a price difference between the two models (Mini 3 PRO VS Mini 3). I am trying to figure out which one is the right one to get to still be able to fly with my Part 107?

2022-12-31
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry, but really not understanding what the Part 107 license has to do with this.   What is it you are trying to accomplish?  You want;

1.  An inexpensive drone.
2.  A drone with native remote id.
3.  A drone to do what exactly related to your commercial 107 activities?

Hard to say what your best choice is because it is not entirely clear what you plan to be doing with the drone.
2022-12-31
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

You need to check the list a little better. The Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro are both on the list.
2022-12-31
Use props
nostalgiablk
lvl.1
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 12-31 12:55
I'm sorry, but really not understanding what the Part 107 license has to do with this.   What is it you are trying to accomplish?  You want;

1.  An inexpensive drone.

I bought a DJI mini 2 back in July and was told by the FAA that come sept of next year I can not fly it commercially anymore.

There are many options for DJI but I already broke the bank with this mini 2 so I need to sell it, and try to find the most inexpensive model that still lets me use my part 107.

at the time of the OP i saw several lists online and I didnt want to spend 1,400 on a drone if i can still fly as PART 107 for less.

i hope that helps
2022-12-31
Use props
nostalgiablk
lvl.1
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-31 12:58
You need to check the list a little better. The Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro are both on the list.

yah i went back to the site on my PC and i see what you mean there was a next button. I guess it will be a toss up between the two models thanks!
2022-12-31
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

What do use the Part 107 to do?
2022-12-31
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer
Flight distance : 247474 ft
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-31 14:51

Part 107 will require remote id.
2022-12-31
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Mikem691 Posted at 12-31 16:39
Part 107 will require remote id.

Nothing to do with my question.
2022-12-31
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Remote ID laws don’t go into effect until Sept 2023 for operators.  The landscape of available drones and add on modules will likely be quite different in 9 months compared to today.  If your Mini 2 does what you need it to do right now, stick with it.  Don’t waste good money to upgrade because of a law that doesn’t even affect you right now.  Then you can make an appropriate decision closer to the implementation date based on the technology that is available at that time.
2022-12-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mini 3 Pro is on the FAA list.  Also, why not keep the Mini 2 if it is working for you now and purchase an add on RID module when you get closer to the required compliance date?  
2023-1-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, nostalgiablk. Thank you for reaching out. Both Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro can be registered under  FAA Remote ID beginning September 16, 2023. If you're looking for the cheapest one, then you may go with the Mini 3. Hope this helps. Thank you for your support.
2023-1-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Keep using the Mini 2 and put all the money you earn in a New Drone Fund.
2023-1-1
Use props
nostalgiablk
lvl.1
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2022-12-31 14:51

videos for bands, established shots, and real estate
2023-1-2
Use props
nostalgiablk
lvl.1
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2022-12-31 17:14
The Remote ID laws don’t go into effect until Sept 2023 for operators.  The landscape of available drones and add on modules will likely be quite different in 9 months compared to today.  If your Mini 2 does what you need it to do right now, stick with it.  Don’t waste good money to upgrade because of a law that doesn’t even affect you right now.  Then you can make an appropriate decision closer to the implementation date based on the technology that is available at that time.

its best to get rid of the mini 2 now before Everybody else does. Right now in my town there are 15 on sale fully loaded (6 batteries,case and extras) for $500. I would hate to think how many would be out there closer to sept.
2023-1-2
Use props
nostalgiablk
lvl.1
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-1 06:25
Mini 3 Pro is on the FAA list.  Also, why not keep the Mini 2 if it is working for you now and purchase an add on RID module when you get closer to the required compliance date?

talked to a FAA buddy of mine (pilot that is also a trainer and has his own mini 2) he said the RID attachments will more than likely not make the cut and it would be a safer bet to get one with Remote ID built in.
2023-1-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

nostalgiablk Posted at 1-2 03:04
talked to a FAA buddy of mine (pilot that is also a trainer and has his own mini 2) he said the RID attachments will more than likely not make the cut and it would be a safer bet to get one with Remote ID built in.

I sure hope that is not the case as many companies are already working on producing RID modules based on current FAA requirements.  
2023-1-2
Use props
nostalgiablk
lvl.1
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-2 03:21
I sure hope that is not the case as many companies are already working on producing RID modules based on current FAA requirements.

i agree that would be horrible. He said what he is hearing is if people "forget" to attach the RID or do not keep it charged they could be flying without a working RID, and to enforce the new laws it would be easier to have it be for any drone that has it natively vs as an add on. which spurred me to sell my mini 2 and start this thread lol!
2023-1-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

nostalgiablk Posted at 1-2 03:56
i agree that would be horrible. He said what he is hearing is if people "forget" to attach the RID or do not keep it charged they could be flying without a working RID, and to enforce the new laws it would be easier to have it be for any drone that has it natively vs as an add on. which spurred me to sell my mini 2 and start this thread lol!

Not doubt was a wise decision on your part.

I still have a Mini, Mini 2 and and Air 2 that I would have to use add-on modules.  At least the Mini 3 Pro and Air 2S are already on the FAA approved RID compliant list.  Skydio will enable Standard Remote ID compliance through software updates so my Skydio 2+ will also be compliant.  

2023-1-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

nostalgiablk Posted at 1-2 03:04
talked to a FAA buddy of mine (pilot that is also a trainer and has his own mini 2) he said the RID attachments will more than likely not make the cut and it would be a safer bet to get one with Remote ID built in.

Some of the RID modules have already made the cut.
Check this, the latest list -
https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs
2023-1-2
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, the info above about some unnamed FAA source is a touch out of date.  
2023-1-2
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

So since I have my 107 that means I can't fly my "older" drones come September? That makes ZERO sense. Plenty of vehicles on the road today were made before seatbelts were required. They are still just legal today as a brand new car with all the safety bells and whistles. So the FAA is fine with a young kid out flying a Mini SE, but a licensed pilot isn't allowed to fly the same drone? I follow all laws that are understandable even if I don't like it. However, this law is one that I will not abide by. Shame on you FAA.
2023-1-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 1-2 15:14
So since I have my 107 that means I can't fly my "older" drones come September? That makes ZERO sense. Plenty of vehicles on the road today were made before seatbelts were required. They are still just legal today as a brand new car with all the safety bells and whistles. So the FAA is fine with a young kid out flying a Mini SE, but a licensed pilot isn't allowed to fly the same drone? I follow all laws that are understandable even if I don't like it. However, this law is one that I will not abide by. Shame on you FAA.

You really need to read up on RID. To fly older drones, you need an add-on RID module.
2023-1-2
Use props
nostalgiablk
lvl.1
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 1-2 15:14
So since I have my 107 that means I can't fly my "older" drones come September? That makes ZERO sense. Plenty of vehicles on the road today were made before seatbelts were required. They are still just legal today as a brand new car with all the safety bells and whistles. So the FAA is fine with a young kid out flying a Mini SE, but a licensed pilot isn't allowed to fly the same drone? I follow all laws that are understandable even if I don't like it. However, this law is one that I will not abide by. Shame on you FAA.

From what i am reading they are looking to have recreation flying areas and nonrecreation flying areas if you have your part 107 you can fly in both. if you do not you can only fly in the recreation areas. I know there are "dumb" drones that only fly via line of sight so they would be more at risk to fly in the wrong area. But I would think companies like DJI would let you know if you were in either zone.

granted allllllll of this is based on a couple of calls the FAA released online where they are playing around with these ideas.

All i am trying to do is try to be on the right side of the part 107 before the market gets flooded with people leaving the drone world.
2023-1-2
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-2 15:30
You really need to read up on RID. To fly older drones, you need an add-on RID module.

I would have to disagree. I've been flying drones for years just fine without one. Wouldn't the whole point of a 249g drone be made irrelevant if an additional module was strapped to it? I know that doesn't matter to us 107 holders since it would have to be registered anyways but still. a recreational flyer would now have to choose between either breaking the law (unregistered 250g+ drone) and/or breaking the law (no RID). Back to my original comparison: Older vehicles that didn't come with seatbelts weren't required to install them. The FAA should worry more about saving the airline industry that's a mess right now. They've had years to figure out this RID business and it's still a major fail.
2023-1-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 1-2 20:38
I would have to disagree. I've been flying drones for years just fine without one. Wouldn't the whole point of a 249g drone be made irrelevant if an additional module was strapped to it? I know that doesn't matter to us 107 holders since it would have to be registered anyways but still. a recreational flyer would now have to choose between either breaking the law (unregistered 250g+ drone) and/or breaking the law (no RID). Back to my original comparison: Older vehicles that didn't come with seatbelts weren't required to install them. The FAA should worry more about saving the airline industry that's a mess right now. They've had years to figure out this RID business and it's still a major fail.

Yes, you do need to read up. ANY drone that should be registered has to have RID. Like it or not(I don't), that's how it is.
2023-1-2
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-2 21:01
Yes, you do need to read up. ANY drone that should be registered has to have RID. Like it or not(I don't), that's how it is.

I think you're missing my point here. It doesn't HAVE to have it. Some guy sitting in a corporate office suite might WANT me to have one and that's fine. They can write up any paper tiger they want. lets see how they plan to enforce it.  
2023-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules