Remote ID Questions
3296 20 2023-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Snook911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 425180 ft
United States

Hello Pilots!!  I updated my software and like eveyone else noticed that the Air 2S was made remote ID compliant.  Since the rule does not go into effect until September 2023 is the Air 2S Broadcasting the signal now or will it be enabled once it is a required?  Also are Sub 250g drones required to have Remote ID? I noticed the Mini Pro3 on the compliant list but I thought Sub 250g drones were not required to have remote ID?  Thank for an answers!!  
2023-1-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Yes, the 2S is broadcasting now. All drones that require registration must have RID. That includes sub 250 gram drones that are used as Part 107.
2023-1-6
Use props
Snook911
lvl.3
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-6 10:52
Yes, the 2S is broadcasting now. All drones that require registration must have RID. That includes sub 250 gram drones that are used as Part 107.

Thanks for the reply.  So if  you have a sub 250g that is used for recreation the Remote ID is not required, correct?  Do you think there will be an option to shut of the remote ID for recreational flyers or will recreation users of the sub 250g drones be forced to use it because some users are part 107 licensed.  
2023-1-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

NO!! Per FAA RID regulations, it cannot be switched off.
2023-1-6
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

Github.com_CIAJeepDoors

I'm just going to leave this here...
2023-1-6
Use props
Snook911
lvl.3
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-6 10:58
NO!! Per FAA RID regulations, it cannot be switched off.

But the regulations state that only drones requiring registration will be required to use Remote ID.  SUB 250g drones being used for recreation don't require registration therefore are not required  to use Remote ID.  Or am I missing something???
2023-1-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Snook911 Posted at 1-6 11:18
But the regulations state that only drones requiring registration will be required to use Remote ID.  SUB 250g drones being used for recreation don't require registration therefore are not required  to use Remote ID.  Or am I missing something???

here's what you are missing:  there is only one drone.  it's the mini 3 pro.  it is either rid complaint or it is not.  dji chose to make it compliant.  therefore it will transmit.  there are no options.

i heard rumors about providing a one time option (at activation) to enable rid or not but it's only a rumor.  the idea was once you turned rid on, it stayed on permanently.  those who fly recreational or those who flaunt the law could choose to skip this first step but turn it on once they registered or flew commercial.  this would give our foreign friends a way out if rid is not tied to location.  sounds like a recipe for a bunch of american cheaters.  my guess is this won't happen because dji officially applied for rid certification for this model and they were granted which means the m3p is broadcast always, not broadcast sometimes.  your best bet is to wait for a hack.  or move to another country because i am starting to hear that rid is turned off (no broadcast) outside america (or other countries where legal).
2023-1-6
Use props
Snook911
lvl.3
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-6 11:55
here's what you are missing:  there is only one drone.  it's the mini 3 pro.  it is either rid complaint or it is not.  dji chose to make it compliant.  therefore it will transmit.  there are no options.

i heard rumors about providing a one time option (at activation) to enable rid or not but it's only a rumor.  the idea was once you turned rid on, it stayed on permanently.  those who fly recreational or those who flaunt the law could choose to skip this first step but turn it on once they registered or flew commercial.  this would give our foreign friends a way out if rid is not tied to location.  sounds like a recipe for a bunch of american cheaters.  my guess is this won't happen because dji officially applied for rid certification for this model and they were granted which means the m3p is broadcast always, not broadcast sometimes.  your best bet is to wait for a hack.  or move to another country because i am starting to hear that rid is turned off (no broadcast) outside america (or other countries where legal).

I am not to concerned because I fly within the law but was just curious since when I read the regulation it said that only drones requiring registration would require remote ID.     I guess ultimately its up to the drone manufactures whether or not its included in their sub 250g drones.   
2023-1-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Snook911 Posted at 1-6 12:37
I am not to concerned because I fly within the law but was just curious since when I read the regulation it said that only drones requiring registration would require remote ID.     I guess ultimately its up to the drone manufactures whether or not its included in their sub 250g drones.

correct.  dji has decided to go above and beyond the law.  autel, on the other hand, has not so far made rid available to the autel nano.  come late next year, that drone will only be able to legally fly recreational missions unless you attach an external module.  if i were a drone manufacturer and i had to choose one or the other, i would have chosen the former every day of the year.  why?  because there are tons of 250g drones being flown recreationally by registered pilots.  to me, that's going to be somewhat of a problem later on and lead to some confusion.
2023-1-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Johnnokomis Posted at 1-6 11:08
Github.com_CIAJeepDoors

I'm just going to leave this here...

thanks for that Ive saved that away,  could be useful one day.  
2023-1-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Snook911. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Air2s support for United States RID requirements has been added when the firmware has been updated to v02.04.23.20. The said firmware version was released on Oct. 26, 2022. For the Mini 3 Pro, in accordance with FAA Remote ID rule -§ 89101 (a) (1), users operating a drone for business purposes must register their drone and comply with the Remote ID rule regardless of takeoff weight. The manufacturer is unable to determine whether the DJI Mini 3 Pro was used for recreational or business purposes. To meet user compliance requirements to the maximum extent, all DJI Mini 3 Pro drones come with the Remote ID function. Hope this helps. Thank you for your support.
2023-1-8
Use props
Snook911
lvl.3
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-8 07:24
Hi, Snook911. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Air2s support for United States RID requirements has been added when the firmware has been updated to v02.04.23.20. The said firmware version was released on Oct. 26, 2022. For the Mini 3 Pro, in accordance with FAA Remote ID rule -§ 89101 (a) (1), users operating a drone for business purposes must register their drone and comply with the Remote ID rule regardless of takeoff weight. The manufacturer is unable to determine whether the DJI Mini 3 Pro was used for recreational or business purposes. To meet user compliance requirements to the maximum extent, all DJI Mini 3 Pro drones come with the Remote ID function. Hope this helps. Thank you for your support.

Thank you for reply.  I agree with you but on drones where flights might not be required to have remote ID (sub 250g) they should give the option to turn the remote ID on or off depending on how the drone is being used.  
2023-1-12
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Snook911 Posted at 1-12 07:46
Thank you for reply.  I agree with you but on drones where flights might not be required to have remote ID (sub 250g) they should give the option to turn the remote ID on or off depending on how the drone is being used.

Read the RID regulations. It cannot be switchable, that is against the rules.
2023-1-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Snook911 Posted at 1-12 07:46
Thank you for reply.  I agree with you but on drones where flights might not be required to have remote ID (sub 250g) they should give the option to turn the remote ID on or off depending on how the drone is being used.

Hi, Snook911. Thank you for the reply. As Mobilehomer mentioned above, in accordance with the Remote ID rule and compliance methods, manufacturers are prohibited from providing users with any method or tool in any form that can disable Remote ID. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-1-17
Use props
AE1M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1862884 ft
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-8 07:24
Hi, Snook911. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Air2s support for United States RID requirements has been added when the firmware has been updated to v02.04.23.20. The said firmware version was released on Oct. 26, 2022. For the Mini 3 Pro, in accordance with FAA Remote ID rule -§ 89101 (a) (1), users operating a drone for business purposes must register their drone and comply with the Remote ID rule regardless of takeoff weight. The manufacturer is unable to determine whether the DJI Mini 3 Pro was used for recreational or business purposes. To meet user compliance requirements to the maximum extent, all DJI Mini 3 Pro drones come with the Remote ID function. Hope this helps. Thank you for your support.

What is the 2S using for broadcast, WiFi or Bluetooth or other?   How can I view my 2S’s transmission like some Karen might?
2023-2-19
Use props
djiuser_HkGZ6LORukkP
lvl.2

United States

I'm an Air 2 user. My drone works great and does not need replacement. SImply put, if DJI does not implement Remote ID on Air 2 soon, then I will not continue on as a DJI customer. September is 7 months away, it's time for DJI to "fish, or cut bait"... COme on?
2023-2-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_HkGZ6LORukkP Posted at 2-26 04:13
I'm an Air 2 user. My drone works great and does not need replacement. SImply put, if DJI does not implement Remote ID on Air 2 soon, then I will not continue on as a DJI customer. September is 7 months away, it's time for DJI to "fish, or cut bait"... COme on?

the law does not force the drone manufacturer to be compliant with their older drones.  if dji chooses not to update the air2 with rid then the user will need to seek other solutions in order to be compliant with the regulations that go into effect for flyers.  for example, the regulations allow you to mount an external module.  you should be able to do this without help from dji.
2023-2-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

djiuser_HkGZ6LORukkP Posted at 2-26 04:13
I'm an Air 2 user. My drone works great and does not need replacement. SImply put, if DJI does not implement Remote ID on Air 2 soon, then I will not continue on as a DJI customer. September is 7 months away, it's time for DJI to "fish, or cut bait"... COme on?

Do you expect Chevy to add emissions equipment for a 1957 Nomad because the rules were changed back in the seventies?
2023-2-26
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

I think that the FAA should at least provide some kind of voucher or discount for the RID module. Kinda like when the FCC changed broadcast TV from analog to digital, they mailed out coupons for people to buy converters for their TVs.

Or they should at least make the law only applicable to drones made/purchased after a certain date.

I just don't like that the FAA is basically making me go spend 100s of dollars on a module to retrofit my drone to comply with their new rule.
2023-2-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

blue_canyon21 Posted at 2-26 15:12
I think that the FAA should at least provide some kind of voucher or discount for the RID module. Kinda like when the FCC changed broadcast TV from analog to digital, they mailed out coupons for people to buy converters for their TVs.

Or they should at least make the law only applicable to drones made/purchased after a certain date.

i agree and i believe the faa is trying to use "time to adjust" as their rationale except they are not allowing enough time.  a few years is not enough.  it should be closer to 5 to 8 years before drones are "prohibited."  that way, you can't complain if your 6 year old drone don't meeting the new rules since you've had many years of opportunity to comply.  obviously the manufacturers haven't helped but it's probably because they want you to abandon the non-compliant drone and buy one of their new ones.

i wouldn't want this process to be super complicated but if you have a non-compliant drone and you bought it in the past 5 years and the manufacturer will not update rid, the manufacturer should be able to either supply a low cost module or a govt subsidized module so you can be compliant even if that module only works for you and/or your drone (not other pilots, not other manufacturers).   my evo2 v1 is going to fall thru the cracks and i honestly feel like it's one of my best drones and it has a good couple years left in it; i'd hate for it to get grounded.

btw, i don't mind paying $100 for a module that will work with any drone, forever.  i'd rather not have a govt issued module but i wouldn't mind a govt check to pay for it.  ;)
2023-2-26
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 2-26 16:47
i agree and i believe the faa is trying to use "time to adjust" as their rationale except they are not allowing enough time.  a few years is not enough.  it should be closer to 5 to 8 years before drones are "prohibited."  that way, you can't complain if your 6 year old drone don't meeting the new rules since you've had many years of opportunity to comply.  obviously the manufacturers haven't helped but it's probably because they want you to abandon the non-compliant drone and buy one of their new ones.

i wouldn't want this process to be super complicated but if you have a non-compliant drone and you bought it in the past 5 years and the manufacturer will not update rid, the manufacturer should be able to either supply a low cost module or a govt subsidized module so you can be compliant even if that module only works for you and/or your drone (not other pilots, not other manufacturers).   my evo2 v1 is going to fall thru the cracks and i honestly feel like it's one of my best drones and it has a good couple years left in it; i'd hate for it to get grounded.

Yeah, a $100 module wouldn't bother me either. But last I looked, the only module I could find was around $400.
Edit: I just found again the one I had found a few months ago and it looks like it has gone down in price to around $200.
2023-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules