1172 29 2023-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

It's great when youtubers starting to see that GoPro is not the right camera, and like he said before it could never trust it was recording so that's why he bought OA3.
In this video he show which cameras he use when out making videos.
And since he do a lot of recovery in the cold winter, OA3 is probably perfect for him since it can handle the cold best of them all.

2023-1-7
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The battery life; especially in cold is a big bonus. I’ve not flattened the battery on mine since getting it. It does last a long time. Great for whole day shooting.
2023-1-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-7 03:33
The battery life; especially in cold is a big bonus. I’ve not flattened the battery on mine since getting it. It does last a long time.

Mine last really long when I have been out plowing snow, and I think I can use it for 2 videos without recharging it.
2023-1-7
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The quality is excellent including sound, with decent small amounts of editing this camera is as good as anything in its class. Maybe now more will post their results.
2023-1-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

crisp and clear this is not the frame, shot the scene shot. I guess we ask way too much from Action cameras and  that is where being close up wins and further away loses. considering a foul day like so it got his point across. and not a YT (youtube thing.   hope he enjoys his new  action camera
2023-1-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to see!
2023-1-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Not sure if I did understand you right here, but this screenshot is from Insta360 I can see
2023-1-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-7 10:54
Not sure if I did understand you right here, but this screenshot is from Insta360 I can see

main topic video what I saw
2023-1-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Fishycomics Posted at 1-7 11:27
main topic video what I saw

Yes I know, but your screenshot is not with OA3, but with Insta360 that he also used
2023-1-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-7 11:43
Yes I know, but your screenshot is not with OA3, but with Insta360 that he also used

Ah sorry i thought his whole video was A3 that is my issue, I did not pay attention thanks for correcting me
2023-1-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Fishycomics Posted at 1-7 12:02
Ah sorry i thought his whole video was A3 that is my issue, I did not pay attention thanks for correcting me

What didn't you watch his whole video?

He used OA3 as main camera here and Insta360 as second camera. But X3 have really bad quality since it is like 1080p
2023-1-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-7 13:22
What didn't you watch his whole video?

He used OA3 as main camera here and Insta360 as second camera. But X3 have really bad quality since it is like 1080p

i watched and then skipped some
2023-1-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I saw a Youtube recently test out on his plane several different cameras and he gave up with the OA3 because it was unreliable.
2023-1-8
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

yep gopro  did better. will need to try the A3  when I am in to it

2023-1-8
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-8 02:30
I saw a Youtube recently test out on his plane several different cameras and he gave up with the OA3 because it was unreliable.

DAFlys can yu provide a link to that video?  I looked for it and can't find it.  Thanks.
2023-1-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

skysailor64 Posted at 1-8 06:57
DAFlys can yu provide a link to that video?  I looked for it and can't find it.  Thanks.

It’s a channel called Glens Hanger. His day job is big commercials and a cooking show but his side channel is the restoration of a small plane.    He’s made a few videos in the last 2 months where he’s comparing camera etc.

https://youtube.com/@GlensHangar
2023-1-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-8 11:18
It’s a channel called Glens Hanger. His day job is big commercials and a cooking show but his side channel is the restoration of a small plane.    He’s made a few videos in the last 2 months where he’s comparing camera etc.

https://youtube.com/@GlensHangar

That was a really interesting video. Thanks.

I agree with his comments on the Action 3 regarding close focus, detail and dynamic range. The noise in lowlights, I hadn’t noticed, but now he’s gone and mentioned it, yes, I agree.

The GoPro stuff was weird for me because it has been the other way around. The 9 did nothing but play up for me but the 11 has been more reliable. He found the opposite! That’s really weird…..

My Hero 9 also has an internal 'pop' noise on it audio. Not with external mics but the internal is shocking!
2023-1-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-8 12:57
That was a really interesting video. Thanks.

I agree with his comments on the Action 3 regarding close focus, detail and dynamic range. The noise in lowlights, I hadn’t noticed, but now he’s gone and mentioned it, yes, I agree.

Really feels like the action cameras are a big compromise.
2023-1-8
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

DAFlys Posted at 1-8 13:03

The biggest, as long as they don't exceed small proportions and low weight...
2023-1-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StevoB Posted at 1-8 13:07
The biggest, as long as they don't exceed small proportions and low weight...

Well. In his case they kept shutting down.
2023-1-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-8 13:03

I think there are a lot of compromises in Action cams. The small size means that heat build up is a big problem, the more powerful that processors get because they generate a lot of heat.

One thing I don’t like with some action cams though is if compromises are made in the lens department. All that technology inside, only to be let down by a cheaper lens.

I think they’re really a convenience thing more than anything. Reminds me of the Box Brownie - opened up photography for a lot of family people who knew nothing about photography. My Mum couldn’t even point the camera in the right direction!

He hit on something I regularly find with the A3. The detail isn’t as good as the GoPro but worse for me is the close distance focus, which he also mentioned. It especially shows when you have something in the distance behind and that’s probably why he noticed it as well.

What surprises me is that the cameras are heating up when they’re outside, on the wing of a plane at over 100mph. Not good is it?
2023-1-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-9 00:06
I think there are a lot of compromises in Action cams. The small size means that heat build up is a big problem, the more powerful that processors get because they generate a lot of heat.

One thing I don’t like with some action cams though is if compromises are made in the lens department. All that technology inside, only to be let down by a cheaper lens.

It's not good as it gets cold out there at speed.  
2023-1-9
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-9 00:45
It's not good as it gets cold out there at speed.

Oh…. So the battery might clap out?
2023-1-9
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DAFlys Posted at 1-8 13:22
Well. In his case they kept shutting down.

Action cameras are not a compromise, in fact action cameras are probably the most used cameras we have ever seen with the exception of a phone. But the demand on them to be everything in a small compact box and to produce good enough footage to serve an insatiable public means compromise is going to occur. One mans review can be totally contradicted by another.
On this forum for instance we have the same quorum of people who spend most of their time here rubbishing the A3, and that’s ok they’re entitled to that. But it shouldn’t go unanswered particularly on a forum. It’s clear the same people post no examples of work showing how the perceived this camera to be so bad, comparisons proper scientific explanation. For instance it’s easy to show dynamic range between two cameras in fact most cameras come with a spec to show just how many stops of dynamic range it offers. But nothing except one mans unproven post. It’s no good as a vlogging camera because it doesn’t focus at 30 cm , it actually does focus at 30 cm but this can be hit and miss on a moving subject, and its strange why someone would vlog at exactly 30 cm, and more strange how someone with a pocket 2 would think the A3 should be even close for vlogging than P2 which has a wider aperture mechanical gimbal and its own handle and tracking just beggars belief. Others who continue to rubbish the camera because of not so close focus so they decided to diy their camera and if one is to be honest the results of this were appalling  and if the user was happy with the results then all I can say is he has many many more problems than close focus. From what I seen almost 50% of his videos indoors are out of focus .

The A3 is an excellent camera which returns really good footage, in its price range and including its features it’s probably number 1, is it perfect No but as your video showed above none of them are and this can be said of many if not all cameras on the market.
But when someone comes on the forum here asks how the camera is , we constantly get the same quorum of people with the same unsupported views and no attempt by any of them to show or prove anything they’re talking about, in fact if they posted some of the stuff I’ve seen on YT etc then those asking would see very quickly that they really don’t know what they are talking about. So they can say it but until they can prove it then it basically comes across as nothing but bitterness buyers remorse etc etc.

2023-1-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hallmark007 Posted at 1-9 03:45
Action cameras are not a compromise, in fact action cameras are probably the most used cameras we have ever seen with the exception of a phone. But the demand on them to be everything in a small compact box and to produce good enough footage to serve an insatiable public means compromise is going to occur. One mans review can be totally contradicted by another.
On this forum for instance we have the same quorum of people who spend most of their time here rubbishing the A3, and that’s ok they’re entitled to that. But it shouldn’t go unanswered particularly on a forum. It’s clear the same people post no examples of work showing how the perceived this camera to be so bad, comparisons proper scientific explanation. For instance it’s easy to show dynamic range between two cameras in fact most cameras come with a spec to show just how many stops of dynamic range it offers. But nothing except one mans unproven post. It’s no good as a vlogging camera because it doesn’t focus at 30 cm , it actually does focus at 30 cm but this can be hit and miss on a moving subject, and its strange why someone would vlog at exactly 30 cm, and more strange how someone with a pocket 2 would think the A3 should be even close for vlogging than P2 which has a wider aperture mechanical gimbal and its own handle and tracking just beggars belief. Others who continue to rubbish the camera because of not so close focus so they decided to diy their camera and if one is to be honest the results of this were appalling  and if the user was happy with the results then all I can say is he has many many more problems than close focus. From what I seen almost 50% of his videos indoors are out of focus .

Well in this case his cameras kept shutting down and he had bought several from each vendor,  personally I would have sent it back as it would look like a bad unit.  
2023-1-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-9 02:54
Oh…. So the battery might clap out?

When he did his tests he cabled them for power.  
2023-1-9
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DAFlys Posted at 1-9 03:50
Well in this case his cameras kept shutting down and he had bought several from each vendor,  personally I would have sent it back as it would look like a bad unit.

I’ve owned go pros they shut down all the time, and nothing much has changed with them. But much of the time they’re great and that’s the compromise you have had to accept. DJI got rid of go pro because of reliability many years ago. But nobody was able to improve on go pro for many other uses particularly their ruggedness and capabilities of capturing stuff no other cameras could at such a low cost. It’s a balance and the truth is even with the inevitable flaws these are simply great cameras all of them serve great purposes.

So yes they’re a compromise but not a big compromise in fact a very small compromise considering what they can produce.
2023-1-9
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-9 03:52
When he did his tests he cabled them for power.

Oh yes, I forgot that he had mentioned that.   It’s quite funny that really in the end, that guy chose one but still felt that it needed improving.

I was SO surprised he chose the 9, because out of all of them, I had most problems with that one, although GoPro did quite a late firmware update that did fix a lot of the shutting down/freezing problems.

The 11 has behaved better for me so hopefully, a later firmware might sort it.

The biggest compromise I think with all of these little cameras is the fact that their size works against them with better performing electronics inside that generate a lot more heat. That might possibly be what was behind the GoPro 9 popping in its sound, because GoPro told people to wait a little while before recording as a fix!!

They try so hard to pack so much into a mini box, that in itself causes problems. The Actions have all been good in that respect. They're much more reliable and their ease of use is brilliant, but for me, (like the guy who made that video), in the end, the picture quality of any camera, whatever it is is important because that's what you're left with in the end. I agree with him that the A3 doesn't really match the Hero 11, but there is a difference in price you pay and perhaps they have a different target market really.

Something I've seen said by people who own an Action 3 is 'it's good for the price'. Yes it is good for the price, but price is never mentioned that way with GoPros. People just say they are expensive and I think some probably choose one or the other based on price. But in the end, GoPros really take a lot to better them as far as quality of picture goes.

The 11 has an amazing picture but once you're up at 4 or 5K, it's fighting heat again. That's possibly why they're so flaky for that guy. I don't think they're really designed to be left on for long periods of time.

2023-1-9
Use props
Mehwish
lvl.3

Pakistan

It's great to see YouTubers exploring different camera options for their videos. While GoPro cameras have been popular for action and adventure filming, it's understandable that some individuals may have concerns about reliability and trust in recording. It seems the person mentioned in the statement has chosen to purchase the OA3 camera as an alternative.

2023-5-25
Use props
SummerFrog
lvl.3

Pakistan

It's great to see YouTubers exploring different camera options for their videos. While GoPro cameras have been popular for action and adventure filming, it's understandable that some individuals may have concerns about reliability and trust in recording. It seems the person mentioned in the statement has chosen to purchase the OA3 camera as an alternative.
2023-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules