Odd speed pumps and sideways drift with motion controller
1020 7 2023-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Big Fil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1113484 ft
United States

I was flying low over a creek yesterday and noticed a few odd uncommanded movements from the drone.
In the first clip you can see at 11, 16, 32, 39, and 49 seconds some uncommanded speed pulses that were not me bumping the throttle on the motion controller.

In the second clip at about 3 seconds you can see the aircraft drift right for a little bit. Again this was not from me moving the motion controller as I was flying in a dead straight line and of course you can't even fly sideways with the motion controller with head tracking disabled.

Is this caused by flying low over moving water and the downward sensors getting confused?

2023-1-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Big Fil. Thank you for reaching out. The unusual movements are indeed evident in the videos you shared, but we need to confirm if these are normal, considering the area you were flying the drone. We have forwarded your concern to our related team for feedback. We'll keep you posted. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
2023-1-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for your patience. Here are some troubleshooting steps you may perform:
1. Calibrate the Motion Controller. To calibrate, link the drone, goggles, and remote controller. Go to "Menu" -> "Settings" -> "Control" -> "Motion Controller" -> "RC Calibration."
2. Calibrate the IMU and Compass.
3. Perform another test flight in a different environment.
We hope to hear an update from you. Thank you, and have a nice day.
2023-1-11
Use props
2wheeledphotog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3432372 ft
United States

Agree that it seems like the water is confusing the sensors. I would guess that the relative darkness is also exacerbating the issue.
2023-1-11
Use props
RichfromHowellNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Definitely the downward sensors are getting spooked with the close movement of the water.  If you were a little higher up I bet you would not have seen this same issue.  But this is my 2 cents worth.
2023-1-11
Use props
Big Fil
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 1-11 01:10
Hi there. Thank you for your patience. Here are some troubleshooting steps you may perform:
1. Calibrate the Motion Controller. To calibrate, link the drone, goggles, and remote controller. Go to "Menu" -> "Settings" -> "Control" -> "Motion Controller" -> "RC Calibration."
2. Calibrate the IMU and Compass.

I will try to do the calibrations and report back with any issues flying in a different area. Won't be able to do those until tomorrow at the earliest as it's raining all day today.
2023-1-11
Use props
Big Fil
lvl.2
United States

RichfromHowellNJ Posted at 1-11 09:59
Definitely the downward sensors are getting spooked with the close movement of the water.  If you were a little higher up I bet you would not have seen this same issue.  But this is my 2 cents worth.

Part of me believes it's the sensors that could do that but I always thought that the vision sensors were only there to aid the aircraft hold a more precise hover. I think the infared downward sensors are there to give height information.  In my situation I was moving so I wouldn't think the vision sensors would be trying to influence the aircraft position but i'm not 100% how DJI has it implemented.

Honestly I wish I could completely turn off the downward sensors completely.
2023-1-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Big Fil Posted at 1-11 11:39
I will try to do the calibrations and report back with any issues flying in a different area. Won't be able to do those until tomorrow at the earliest as it's raining all day today.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation, Big Fil. We'll look forward to your update then. Take care.
2023-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules