Abnormal Compass Data
3167 12 2014-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew
New

South Africa

Hello,

I have a Hex-rotor with a wookong-m flight controller. It has been a while since I last flew so i decided to double check all the assistant calibrations, update firmware and recalibrate the compass itself.

When the system is on and inside the house, I have control as per usual just minus a couple of sattelites (Red and purple). As soon as I set foot outside, I get the flashing yellow and green of "Abnormal Compass Data".

Could this be as a result of the new firmware update?

Nothing else is different from the last time I flew.

EDIT: Compass calibration shows as successfull every time I try recalibrate.

EDIT EDIT: Just in case there is any confusion, my problem still exists.
2014-12-5
Use props
Matthew
New

South Africa

Are there no DJI Tech support people active on this forum? Or is my question unanswerable?
2014-12-8
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you post a picture of the craft? Do you have any power wires running by the gps puck?
2014-12-8
Use props
Matthew
New

South Africa

No, the power runs underneath all of the electronics. Separated by a layer of carbon fiber.

like I mentioned in the OP, It has worked previously and it seems to have minimal GPS signal when inside. It's only when I take it out side that i get the "Abnormal Compass Data" lights
20141208_154309_resized.jpg
2014-12-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

That it is telling you is to calibrate the compass.  You may have to do this everytime you move to a different location.  Actually it is recommended.  The other thing that you mentioned is that you had not flown for a while.  I would set the craft outside powered up and let it get satellite lock.  There is a small battery in the GPS unit that remembers the last location.  If you don't fly for awhile it will discharge.  That could also be your problem.
2014-12-10
Use props
Matthew
New

South Africa

That is correct, it is suggesting that I should calibrate the compass. When I calibrate the compass, it flashes white for 3 seconds to show correct calibration and then returns the yellow and green to show abnormal compass data. If the battery was causing the problem, why would I have GPS signal inside the house?
2014-12-10
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Where are you preforming this calibration?
2014-12-11
Use props
Matthew
New

South Africa

The calibration is being performed outside, in the garden. I've left the system on for hours hoping that it might be the little battery in the compass but still no luck.
2014-12-16
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I would contact support, it sounds like you have done everything I would have to try to fix the issue. I'm pretty sure you have a hardware issue.
2014-12-17
Use props
xswamix
lvl.1

United States

You are confused because the compass and GPS have nothing to do with each other.  You have to degauss the compass before performing the calibration procedure outside to remove the 'hard iron' effects of long term storage inside.  If you still get the problem when the motors start, you then have to correct 'soft iron' problems.
2014-12-20
Use props
Matthew
New

South Africa

xswamix Posted at 2014-12-21 00:14
You are confused because the compass and GPS have nothing to do with each other.  You have to degaus ...

How do I go about degaussing the compass? If it works it would be great...
2015-1-13
Use props
Matthew
New

South Africa

Ok! So Degaussing the compass worked perfectly! :beer (worth a shot)
2015-1-15
Use props
gezim.mavric
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25030 ft
Montenegro

how  did you fix it? i am having the same problem.
2015-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules