Broken out of the Box. DJI terrible Customer Support
1526 15 2023-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OnThePath
lvl.1
United States

I will start with saying that I have a Air 2s that has been a rock.  Love it.

I had a new (and big) client ask me if would get the Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 classic for a night job so we could do "Waypoints" with it.  It's a long story, but it makes total sense to me.  I love the option, but I'm unfamiliar with it and need some time to get up to speed so I can do it on location quickly.  There was a contractual agreement for multiple jobs which made it worth the investment.  And it was a great national client to have on my resume including the option to fly in a pretty restricted area.   To be honest, It was just an excuse to pull the trigger on something I had my eye on for some time.  : )    And to get in their roster for a recurring job.

They had another flyer that had to back out and the timing was last minute.  It was an opportunity for me and I wanted to make it happen.

The only company that could overnight it to me was ADORAMA.  I ordered the RC controller unit version.  They sent me the basic kit with the RC-n1 controller.  I had to register it and fly it on New Years for the fireworks shot they wanted..  Long story short-after a week of fingerpointing between DJI and ADORAMA about the mislabeling of the kit, ADORAMA finally took it back for a full refund.  Except the batteries and extra propellers that came 2 days later for some reason.

This left me 10 days to buy a new drone and get everything going for the upcoming second shoot on January 15.  I thought to myself "You should order it from DJI direct to ensure you don't have to go through this headache again".  With 10 days to spare, I ordered the correct kit with DJI Refresh on January 5.  It arrived later in the day on the 11th and I tried to set it up the next day.  I had not used the RC remote yet and I wanted to make sure I was comfortable with it.  However, after linking everything up and updating firmware, I could not get it to give me camera view on the controller.  DJI FLY would launch and let me navigiate around except when I hit "GO FLY" it would try to launch and quickly fail taking me back to the same window where I had just hit "GO FLY".

I spoke with the DJI Tech team-two people in fact-who someone got disconnected half way through helping me solve the issue.  Eventually, I downgraded 1 step and it connected and let me get the DJI FLY app open and hit "GO FLY". Except it was a black screen.  All the readouts and options but no image.  I could not get camera picture and I was told there was a GIMBAL ERROR-ERROR CODE 1C0090F.   I needed to contact DJI and return it. Searching the error code I disocvered I was not the first to encounter this.

So I immediately sent an email.  24 hours later, still no response.  I called in the morning to see if we could get one sent overnight and I was told by their tech department that they would check with their supervisor and call me back.  After not hearing back for 6 hours, I followed up on the phone for an update.  The next person told me their was no record of my previous call or email and that there was nothing they could do.  Just go to the website and file a form.  I tried to do a "CHAT" with a rep (since the phone conversation has no solutions.)  I was given plenty of "Truly sorry for this experience has caused you" and "Truly understand that you are quite upset on the expectation" by "TAYLOR".  Um.... I'm guessing the name is NOT Taylor by the overall misue of grammar and syntax throughout the chat. I could be wrong.  In the end, the solution was for to escalate.  I though "finally" someone who can help me.  Then TAYLOR told me to expect an email within 24-48 hours and disconnected.

Let me be clear on this: I went directly to the company to purchase the item to avoid the shenigans I had just gone through with another vendor. To avoid another round of fingerpointing rodeo.   It took 6 days to get the item. They sent me a non-functioning unit.  These things happen, I get it.  But then there was no attempt to remediate an unfortunate circumstance caused by the oversight of their own quality control in their own facility.  There must be someone who could overnight me a unit if a customer service person asked for it, right?  Even though their service number is in the (818) area code-the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles-I doubt there support team is actually there.  Especially with the lag in conversation between sentences.

Now I am scrambling to find a DJI MAVIC 3 classic with RC in my area.  I have some leads, but I also have a job tomorrow and I'm hoping to find some time to get one befrore the store closes.  Best Buy lists that they have one near me, but I'll believe it when it's in my hands.  And actually working.  If that happens, then I will go through the process of unbinding the drone from my account and getting a refund for my 2 year DJI REFRESH.  Atleast I didn't register it with the FAA this time and have to undo that.  I am just really trying to keep this client and grow my business.

Honestly, I am not looking for something for nothing here.  They were nice about sending me a "Sorry about that" item for my ongoing Gimbal issue they cannot resolve.  But I'm curious to know if any ENTERPRISE users are encountering this type of customer service?  I am moving into some industrial work in the future and looking at investing in a thermal sensing drone and if this is how the quality control works with this company, I need to start doing research for their competitors now.

I guess the lesson is to always find it locally.  Even if it costs a bit more.

DJI RC MAVIC 3 ERROR.jpg
2023-1-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are deeply sorry for the unpleasant experience. We will forward this issue to the corresponding team for confirmation. We will ask our team reply to your email asap. Sorry again for the inconveneince caused.
2023-1-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

In my experience I've always found it best to buy locally.  

Besides Adorama I've used DroneNerds and have had excellent service out of them.  They usually maintain a good stock of drones and can ship overnight.  They are located in South Florida.
2023-1-14
Use props
OnThePath
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-14 02:10
Hi there, we are deeply sorry for the unpleasant experience. We will forward this issue to the corresponding team for confirmation. We will ask our team reply to your email asap. Sorry again for the inconveneince caused.

What is sad is that I posted this last night and received both a call and a response to my issue almost immediately.  Meanwhile I put in a email request a couple of days ago, spent hours trying to figure this out, and wasted time on hold trying to get a solution.  On a side note, all the DJI responses seem oddly the same.  It seems like your company is using a CHAT.ai response.  I don’t wish to flame anyone, but I just can’t get my head around that a company with such innovation that puts 985g quad copters above people and occasionally people or traffic while crossing to a a new location would have such a poor system of customer service.  It worries me.  
2023-1-14
Use props
OnThePath
lvl.1
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-14 08:41

Besides Adorama I've used DroneNerds and have had excellent service out of them.  They usually maintain a good stock of drones and can ship overnight.  They are located in South Florida.

Update: I found one at Best Buy.  Canceled the Refresh on the old drone.  Waiting for a UPS.  New Drone seems to work.  However, getting the micro SD into the controller was a challenge.  It didn’t want to lock into place.  Tried 3 different cards.  It’s a bit scared to push too hard on those little guys.  Finally got it in there.  Don’t think I’ll ever take it out.  This wasn’t an issue on previous controller with the broken drone.  So…again.  I’m either unlucky or the quality control has slid down with DJI.
2023-1-14
Use props
OnThePath
lvl.1
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-14 08:41

Update: I found one at Best Buy.  Canceled the Refresh on the old drone.  Waiting for a UPS.  New Drone seems to work.  However, getting the micro SD into the controller was a challenge.  It didn’t want to lock into place.  Tried 3 different cards.  It’s a bit scared to push too hard on those little guys.  Finally got it in there.  Don’t think I’ll ever take it out.  This wasn’t an issue on previous controller with the broken drone.  So…again.  I’m either unlucky or the quality control has slid down with DJI.
2023-1-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

OnThePath Posted at 1-14 16:21
Update: I found one at Best Buy.  Canceled the Refresh on the old drone.  Waiting for a UPS.  New Drone seems to work.  However, getting the micro SD into the controller was a challenge.  It didn’t want to lock into place.  Tried 3 different cards.  It’s a bit scared to push too hard on those little guys.  Finally got it in there.  Don’t think I’ll ever take it out.  This wasn’t an issue on previous controller with the broken drone.  So…again.  I’m either unlucky or the quality control has slid down with DJI.

I had a problem with my first Mini 3 Pro with the SD Card not staying in the drone.  It wouldn't lock in.  I sent it in and they sent me a replacement.  So far no issues with SD Card staying in the RC.  I've had good support from Customer Service but I'll have to admit their QA department is definitely lacking.  
2023-1-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Update: I found one at Best Buy.  Canceled the Refresh on the old drone.  Waiting for a UPS.  New Drone seems to work.  However, getting the micro SD into the controller was a challenge.  It didn’t want to lock into place.  Tried 3 different cards.  It’s a bit scared to push too hard on those little guys.  Finally got it in there.  Don’t think I’ll ever take it out.  This wasn’t an issue on previous controller with the broken drone.  So…again.  I’m either unlucky or the quality control has slid down with DJI.

Look like it double posted on you.  

Oh well.  

Have a great day.  
2023-1-15
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, there. I'm sorry to read about this update with the replacement DJI Mavic 3 Classic you received. Please be advised that if there's a concern with the body of the unit, we have the option to send the unit for an assessment or we can also verify and check the concern. You may kindly record a video showing the issue and send it to us. Rest assured that we'll do our best to help. Thank you.
2023-1-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-15 13:00
I had a problem with my first Mini 3 Pro with the SD Card not staying in the drone.  It wouldn't lock in.  I sent it in and they sent me a replacement.  So far no issues with SD Card staying in the RC.  I've had good support from Customer Service but I'll have to admit their QA department is definitely lacking.

Hi, DowntownRDB. I'm sorry to read about the experience you had with your first DJI Mini 3 Pro. However, we are glad to know that your case is resolved. You may kindly PM me the details about the concern and rest assured that we'll voice this feedback to our corresponding team. Thank you.
2023-1-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 1-16 03:53
Hi, DowntownRDB. I'm sorry to read about the experience you had with your first DJI Mini 3 Pro. However, we are glad to know that your case is resolved. You may kindly PM me the details about the concern and rest assured that we'll voice this feedback to our corresponding team. Thank you.

The issue was resolved quickly and I received fantastic support from Customer Service.  No complaints about customer service whatsoever.  

I was only remarking that your QA does on occasion miss items being faulty on a drone sent to retail.  Based on the size of the production scale of DJI I'm sure that can never be minimized 100%.  

No need to pass anything along.  Have a wonderful day.
2023-1-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-16 04:47
The issue was resolved quickly and I received fantastic support from Customer Service.  No complaints about customer service whatsoever.  

I was only remarking that your QA does on occasion miss items being faulty on a drone sent to retail.  Based on the size of the production scale of DJI I'm sure that can never be minimized 100%.  

Appreciate your kind words and feedback on our customer service. We'll take note of this and make sure to improve more in this department. Have a wonderful day to you too!
2023-1-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 1-16 07:01
Appreciate your kind words and feedback on our customer service. We'll take note of this and make sure to improve more in this department. Have a wonderful day to you too!

Thanks Diana.  
2023-1-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

You're most welcome, DowntownRDB.
2023-1-16
Use props
OnThePath
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 1-16 03:03
Hi, there. I'm sorry to read about this update with the replacement DJI Mavic 3 Classic you received. Please be advised that if there's a concern with the body of the unit, we have the option to send the unit for an assessment or we can also verify and check the concern. You may kindly record a video showing the issue and send it to us. Rest assured that we'll do our best to help. Thank you.

New drone is working great.  I really like the image quality in low light.   Still playing with the settings. However, the DJI support team is not really setup to be flexible.  With so many products from DJI working in a US market in a field that is known to need flexibility and immediacy (Film/TV productions), their customer service chain falls short.  For example with an Aputure light needed for an upcoming production (around the same price bracket as the drone).   I received an email in an hour and after a quick 10 minute conversation I was sent an overnight replacement.  In fact, they sent me a couple of replacement cables for free because I asked if I could buy them direct.  They just put a hold on my CC for the amount of the malfunctioning light that they sent to me overnight (they paid for the shipping).  So If I didn't return the item, they would move forward on the charge.  DJI is able to do this with REFRESH, so I'm unclear as to why you would not be able to do the same for a broken new unit.  

Obviously, you need to inspect the to confirm or ask the customer to upload video of the issue.  But I think you should be able to get a replacement to the customer ASAP when the mistake is on your side.  IF I did the current DJI protocol , her is how the timeframe breaks down.  Order Drone.  6 days to arrive and 1 day to figure out that the drone is defective.  Contact DJI.  24-48 hours to reply and/or escalate.  Get return UPS label from DJI.   Mail to their facility.  2-3 days to arrive and then some time to get it inspected.  We will say 1 day for this example.  Then DJI sends a replacement which takes 5-6 days?  That is getting close to three weeks.  And the customer has done NOTHING WRONG.  They were just unlucky enough to get a bad drone.  That is my issue.  At this point,  I just want my funds back ASAP.  I will follow advice here and only buy locally now.  In fact, it was actually CHEAPER to buy from. Best Buy.  Anyway, food for thought!
2023-1-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

OnThePath Posted at 1-16 23:07
New drone is working great.  I really like the image quality in low light.   Still playing with the settings. However, the DJI support team is not really setup to be flexible.  With so many products from DJI working in a US market in a field that is known to need flexibility and immediacy (Film/TV productions), their customer service chain falls short.  For example with an Aputure light needed for an upcoming production (around the same price bracket as the drone).   I received an email in an hour and after a quick 10 minute conversation I was sent an overnight replacement.  In fact, they sent me a couple of replacement cables for free because I asked if I could buy them direct.  They just put a hold on my CC for the amount of the malfunctioning light that they sent to me overnight (they paid for the shipping).  So If I didn't return the item, they would move forward on the charge.  DJI is able to do this with REFRESH, so I'm unclear as to why you would not be able to do the same for a broken new unit.  

Obviously, you need to inspect the to confirm or ask the customer to upload video of the issue.  But I think you should be able to get a replacement to the customer ASAP when the mistake is on your side.  IF I did the current DJI protocol , her is how the timeframe breaks down.  Order Drone.  6 days to arrive and 1 day to figure out that the drone is defective.  Contact DJI.  24-48 hours to reply and/or escalate.  Get return UPS label from DJI.   Mail to their facility.  2-3 days to arrive and then some time to get it inspected.  We will say 1 day for this example.  Then DJI sends a replacement which takes 5-6 days?  That is getting close to three weeks.  And the customer has done NOTHING WRONG.  They were just unlucky enough to get a bad drone.  That is my issue.  At this point,  I just want my funds back ASAP.  I will follow advice here and only buy locally now.  In fact, it was actually CHEAPER to buy from. Best Buy.  Anyway, food for thought!

Hi there, we sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience. We will ask our team to process your request asap. We will also forward your feedback to the relevant team and will keep improving our service in the future. Sorry again for the inconvenience caused.
2023-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules