Major Serious Bug - Distorted Audio with External Mic
123456Next >
15243 237 2023-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
soamjena
lvl.2
Thailand

So, I'm using an Osmo Action 3 and I wanted to replace my GoPro 11 black with an Osmo action 3 for moto vlogging, but I figured out, Osmo Action 3 is not winning and became a headache.

I have wasted almost 300$ now in buying multiple external MIC and adapters, but still, Osmo Action 3 refuses to work correctly.

Even if the gain in Action 3 is set to -12db, still the whole is distorted and unusable.
You can see it here - https://youtu.be/K_7t1Qzxapo?t=861

Guess what, I have even done exactly how DJI TONY had recommended here - but still no go, it doesn't work and has very very bad audio!
I cannot imagine, how DJI released a product without testing it correctly!

I really don't want to go back to GoPro 11, as Osmo action 3 ultra-wide sits best for moto vlogging, but this audio bug is making me angry.

My current connection diagram is attached below, in case someone wants to understand that I have done everything correctly, still it doesn't work!

Can DJI fix this issue bug immediately and find a fix?
I'm sure, there must be a lot of angry adventure people out there like me!

2023-1-21
Use props
soamjena
lvl.2
Thailand

[img]Connection diagram :
Osmo Action 3 >> BOYA BY-K4 USB-C to TRS female > TRS Rode Lavalier II premium lav mic for the helmet.

And my osmo action 3 camera setting is set to Gain -12db and stereo.
[/img]
2023-1-21
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Have you tried with a cheap lavmic that is not so sensitive?
2023-1-21
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don’t think this will make any difference, but have a go. Set to mono for speech, not stereo. I am just wondering whether the adapter is designed for stereo in the way that it is wired. Weird thing with these adapters is that some work and others don’t, so they’re not all wired up the right way.

Also (again, not certain because I haven’t got my camera to hand) check wither front audio or front and back are switched on. Front only.
2023-1-22
Use props
soamjena
lvl.2
Thailand

johansenfoto Posted at 1-21 23:47
Have you tried with a cheap lavmic that is not so sensitive?

I have tried with 4 lav mics so far :

BOYA
SARAMONIC
RODE
SENHEISER

Irony is, I have spent money on this mics than the Osmo Action 3 itself, and still its not solved
2023-1-22
Use props
soamjena
lvl.2
Thailand

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-22 00:27
I don’t think this will make any difference, but have a go. Set to mono for speech, not stereo. I am just wondering whether the adapter is designed for stereo in the way that it is wired. Weird thing with these adapters is that some work and others don’t, so they’re not all wired up the right way.

Also (again, not certain because I haven’t got my camera to hand) check wither front audio or front and back are switched on. Front only.

It should be a straight plug-and-play thing, just like GoPro 11.
GoPro works excellent with audio, without any hacks or any permutation and combination.

I'm worried, about how DJI is even trying to compete against GoPro when this basic audio thing is bugged without resolution.
I can already see so many angry customers in the forum with a solution from DJI team.
2023-1-22
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, I imagine that the camera must have some kind of limiter and ‘auto’ levelling audio, so I’m guessing that the wiring in the adapter might not be quite right. I’m out videoing all day today but I’ll give mine a go with the same mic. I have one of those as well along with others.

I’m guessing that if the wiring might be wrong, then stereo might send in two signals merged rather than separate so Audio might be amplified somehow so switching to mono (as it ought to be for speech and a mono mic anyway) might cut off the secondary signal if there is one.

I agree, the GoPro audio is streets ahead of the Action.  Much less trouble. That audio is massively over the top so there must be something wrong. I can't see Osmo leaving it in that state!
Just had a quick look at mine (and got told off ntp y the wife at the breakfast table!) In settings I have Channel: mono, again -6dB. So mine is set at mono.

Since there are only two adjustments, that only leaves the wiring of the adapter or the camera because you're not even shouting into the mic! Is the lave right in front of your mouth? Maybe try just back it off a bit. Lavs can be dodgy with max spl and I have noticed that the max spl of Rodes in particular is low. In other words, they distort at lower volumes than many other mics. Maybe try pushing it away slightly? Again, I'm guessing that motorbike people might well put the mic directly in front of their lips to get rid of engine noise, but that might be over driving the mic capsule.
2023-1-22
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just tried it with my Rode mic. You’re over modulating at the mic end. Ie: it’s too close to your mouth. I had my camera set at -6dB so I switched it to -12. At a distance of 6 inches, it was fine. If anything quiet. Without touching anything, moving it in front of my lips caused the same distortion.

Just push it back an inch or two from your mouth. The Rode mics are prone to this because they have a low max spl.
2023-1-22
Use props
lutzmix
lvl.4
Germany

I think
the microphone is too close to the mouth, try another position in the helmet

i use cheap mics with the Boya k4 adapter
2023-1-22
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The problem is that lav mics are all not able to go above a certain level of volume. With motor bike engines, I guess the rider puts the mic virtually in their mouth to attempt to get rid of engine noise?
2023-1-22
Use props
soamjena
lvl.2
Thailand

Nothing different guys!
Its plain easy mic placement like I always do.
I have done more than 600+ moto vlogs on my youtube channel with GoPro and no matter how close or far, the audio is pin sharp always.

Here with Osmo Action 3, I guess the problem is - its not able to adjust the levels correctly of the external input mic.
Adapter and everything you can see already, is perfect like DJI TONY had suggested, so issue is not the connection.
Issue is the product itself.

They should simply immediately put a fix for auto-level gain like GoPro works.
It should be a no brainer.

Even if Osmo is set to -12db, still its peaking and clipping the audio to very very bad levels.
2023-1-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Where do you have the mic in your helmet?
The vent intake is where most people put it or on jacket sleve.

2023-1-22
Use props
soamjena
lvl.2
Thailand

johansenfoto Posted at 1-22 02:41
Where do you have the mic in your helmet?
The vent intake is where most people put it or on jacket sleve.

Have tried at two locations :
Front of my mouth, not very close of course and its will proper wind muffler and also all air vents are closed.
2023-1-22
Use props
lutzmix
lvl.4
Germany

add a audio control adapter ( Potenziometer )
https://amzn.eu/d/3v1a9WZ

In german
https://youtu.be/MyvifU7jlfo

https://youtu.be/_8S9A8fFvnI

they use a volumenkontroller
2023-1-22
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Before you go buy extra junk, try to figure out your issue:  

Do your own testing to figure out why you got distortion.  each clip not ONE clip each clip do the following

1 no electronics and movement, a stand still.
2  engine on stand still
3 do go SLOW and coast not throttle and test
4 do go slow and with throttle same speed test.
5 go   5mph faster and test and 5 more mph and test.

Find the speed that the mic starts separating.   To put the mic gain on and  the issue is there will just lower the  mic sound with the issue, not  take it away, If asked because the  gain control is the    same  thing if asked.  I feel because the mic is  against the helmets front, where wind is there, causing vibration, like a diaphragm I  say it. and I learned to move my camera, away from the shield in a car.

hope you have the time to test, or can all agree a waste of funds.  as soon as an issue  comes out, what we all read and hear. till its   wow fixed like that and the best camera.  I speak my mind.
2023-1-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

I have been testing this out now, with and without helmet on and 3 different lav-mics.

BOYA BY-K4 Usb-C Mic Adapter with BOYA mic, and 2 cheap ones from ebay.

So DJI how to fix this?

2023-1-22
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'm following this thread with interest as I have recently purchased a USB mic that DJI have tested and is on their OA3 compatibility list, it's the U3A.
I've yet to try it properly on the bike, the first time I did the mic was attached to the front of my bike jacket and the deadcat parted company on a carriageway, so neighbours lock your cats up!
I walked with it the other day and found that beside a not so busy road it needed to be at -12db when anything larger like a bus passed.
Even with it in my helmet, you're restricted on how far away you can mount the mic from your mouth, so...

DJI: please give us more more scope for attenuation.
2023-1-22
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

I wonder if its the wired ones that cause your issues as wireless I find to work quite well, funny how when Ista made their IOS  wireless  connection people complained because they could not  use it further then a foot.

so far I seen wireless  are good.  

if i had a wired one I be testing it out and reporting issue or not
2023-1-22
Use props
soamjena
lvl.2
Thailand

Fishycomics Posted at 1-22 04:00
Before you go buy extra junk, try to figure out your issue:  

Do your own testing to figure out why you got distortion.  each clip not ONE clip each clip do the following

Stand still of course its fine.
Very slow speed, its fine too.
The moment you are off 30-50Kmph, its dead and clipping.

Forget about 150-200Kmph speeds.

Absolutely unusable.
2023-1-22
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

soamjena Posted at 1-22 08:02
Stand still of course its fine.
Very slow speed, its fine too.
The moment you are off 30-50Kmph, its dead and clipping.

thank you.  hope you find the solution that answers my  question  not meant for that type of Action I guess.
2023-1-22
Use props
soamjena
lvl.2
Thailand

Fishycomics Posted at 1-22 08:48
thank you.  hope you find the solution that answers my  question  not meant for that type of Action I guess.

name is Action 3, so it needs to be ready for every kind of action
2023-1-22
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

soamjena Posted at 1-22 09:11
name is Action 3, so it needs to be ready for every kind of action

three times a charm if its the third action generation Lol not a Hero
2023-1-22
Use props
lutzmix
lvl.4
Germany

this sound is ok

2023-1-22
Use props
soamjena
lvl.2
Thailand

This still not ok.
2023-1-22
Use props
Rocktheasphalt
lvl.4
Switzerland

Can you please explain what exactly you didn't like? This is the first video I made on this topic, but with the first firmware and without the possibility of correcting the audio volume down. Also, in this particular video, I didn't get the settings right in DaVincy Resolve... which then leads to artifacts.
2023-1-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Did you guys see my video I posted here?
The BOYA mic work great WITHOUT helmet on, but with helmet on even -12 is distorted. so OP is right.
But with cheap mic from ebay it works great.
2023-1-22
Use props
soamjena
lvl.2
Thailand

johansenfoto Posted at 1-22 18:25
Did you guys see my video I posted here?
The BOYA mic work great WITHOUT helmet on, but with helmet on even -12 is distorted. so OP is right.
But with cheap mic from ebay it works great.

So, you mean, we should not use good branded mics and use some cheap mics for DJI ?

2023-1-22
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

soamjena Posted at 1-22 18:35
So, you mean, we should not use good branded mics and use some cheap mics for DJI ?

So if the cheap mic works better “its a problem” ? Surely best sound is what you’re looking for .
2023-1-22
Use props
Dirtymacho
lvl.1
India

I am not sure if my last reply made it seems mods are reviewing and approving takes time to reflect may be . In a nut shell gain adjustment needed for both camera and mic end . Hence the wireless mic gives you more flexibility. More over the helmet should also be capable of blocking all wind noise . . One thing one has to remember this action kit takes digital input while most take analogue . Using multiple adapters itself a loss by some margin . Most mics are uni directional rather directional it’s hard to control or suppress noise just from one end . Noise suppression has to be built in mic which for wired not possible unless some comes equipped with . There is one from small rig cost a bit comes with db adjustment and May work but still adaptors plays major role on top the helmet capabilities of blocking wind. Use the wind suppressor if feasible and you really wanted to make it work and have budget then try wireless mics which control mic gain much needed on moto vlog .
2023-1-22
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There isn’t much difference in sensitivity between most lav mics whether cheap or expensive. I’m not sure why a cheap mic would be better tbh. More expensive lavs tend to ‘sound’ better but they’re not necessarily louder.
2023-1-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Yes until there is a solution, I don't see the problem
2023-1-23
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

since I do not ride fast wit ha helmet that is by far less thickness of a windshield. I know putting anything too close to a windshield, reflector will just get you exactly the issues you see.

f find your solution and resolve it.if member mis work I go with that, if it fails ....
2023-1-23
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think one of the problems with using a mic inside of a helmet is the fact that’s it’s receiving an extremely loud signal at source and no amount of attenuation in camera will stop the overmodulation. Not only is it close but if the helmet is enclosed, then the volume will be increased even more by internal reflections from the helmet itself.

The only way to help stop it is to move it further away from the mouth so that less is going in. Whether it’s a cheap or expensive mic wouldn’t change this. It’s the way mics work and lavaliers don’t have a particularly high max level that they can take before the capsule distorts.

I got exactly the same effect on my A3 using the same mic, by having it an inch from my lips. At 6 inches, no distortion; without changing settings. The mic is getting overloaded.
2023-1-23
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Problem with mic in a closed helmet that most people use (me included) is what Ian said it will increase the mic since it is close to mouth and sound get reflected. When I had the mic mounted on jacket sleves just under the helmet, then it pick up too much wind and noise from engine.

What I most often do is just use an external recorder where I can set input volume and it work really great.
2023-1-23
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 1-23 06:35
Problem with mic in a closed helmet that most people use (me included) is what Ian said it will increase the mic since it is close to mouth and sound get reflected. When I had the mic mounted on jacket sleves just under the helmet, then it pick up too much wind and noise from engine.

What I most often do is just use an external recorder where I can set input volume and it work really great.

How about down in the chin/throat  area? The audio may go bassy but could easily be corrected and still protected from wind. In fact, the bike engine wouldn't possibly go bassy, just your voice, so when you back the bass down for your voice, the engine noise might also be perceived as less.

Or on the visor above your eyes? Just getting it an inch or two away may make all the difference. I noticed this with my Rode. Just moving it a small amount cut the distortion.
2023-1-23
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-23 06:41
How about down in the chin/throat  area? The audio may go bassy but could easily be corrected and still protected from wind. Or on the visor above your eyes? Just getting it an inch or two away may make all the difference.

I have tried inside jacket when it's closed to throat, it easily pick up sound when moving head.
But it could work for people driving MC, since I have to move my head a lot when driving with ATV.

There is no room on top on my helmet, but I still haven't tried mounting on side-chin inside where I have the mic for Cardo bluetooth system.
2023-1-23
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Follow up to my earlier post #17 above...
I was unable to mount the mic in my helmet, just not enough room so I clipped the mic lower down on my jacket so it should be in the best place not to pick up unwanted wind noise and sheltered well by my scooters screen & fairing. Unfortunately even at -12db anything over 20mph caused clipping of the audio and that's with a good deadcat on it
Despite it being a DJI recommended mic, it's not up to the job except for much quieter environments.
2023-1-23
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

m326 Posted at 1-23 09:30
I was unable to mount the mic in my helmet, just not enough room so I clipped the mic lower down on my jacket so it should be in the best place not to pick up unwanted wind noise and sheltered well by my scooters screen & fairing. Unfortunately even at -12db anything over 20mph caused clipping of the audio and that's with a good deadcat on it
Despite it being a DJI recommended mic, it's not up to the job except for much quieter environments.

It seems like DJI made OA3 more intended for vlog than as helmet cam, since the mic input is good when used as vlogging mic setup with OA3.
2023-1-23
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

m326 Posted at 1-23 09:30
I was unable to mount the mic in my helmet, just not enough room so I clipped the mic lower down on my jacket so it should be in the best place not to pick up unwanted wind noise and sheltered well by my scooters screen & fairing. Unfortunately even at -12db anything over 20mph caused clipping of the audio and that's with a good deadcat on it

Is it distorting or is it the wind hitting the windshield that is causing it?
2023-1-23
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

At low speeds it's right at the top end and is breaking down, not wind

OA3 & U3A

OA3 & U3A

DJI_20230123135904_0002_D2.zip

228.35 KB, Down times: 1

.mp3 file

2023-1-23