Anyone Tried Those Drone Wetsuits? Do They Work?
8439 22 2023-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1922920 ft
Canada

I've seen thses aftermarket wesuits but I'm too afraid to try one. Has anyone here given them a try? They appear to work, but I haven't seen any customer reviews of them. Definitaly hesitant to not cover up the motors as well, but supposidly water does not effect them?

https://www.phantomrain.org/product-page/wet-suit-mavic-mini
2023-1-26
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Water does not directly affect brushless motors and the whole drone components.  It is the corrosion that forms as a result of exposure to water that is problematic.  
I have never personally tried these drone coats.  But what makes me say that its effectiveness could still be limited is that all parts are covered, except the sensitive parts.  The gimbal and the space where the battery is introduced, among other things.  Save your dollars, invest in a Care Refresh instead.  
And then at the first drop on the camera the image becomes blurry and therefore useless...
2023-1-26
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

They might keep the water out but I'm sure your drone will overheat pretty quick.
2023-1-26
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

blue_canyon21 Posted at 1-26 06:21
They might keep the water out but I'm sure your drone will overheat pretty quick.

That's a good point. Although where I live it's almost never stays hot when it rains. Wonder if the water would keep it cool?
2023-1-26
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-26 06:20
Water does not directly affect brushless motors and the whole drone components.  It is the corrosion that forms as a result of exposure to water that is problematic.  
I have never personally tried these drone coats.  But what makes me say that its effectiveness could still be limited is that all parts are covered, except the sensitive parts.  The gimbal and the space where the battery is introduced, among other things.  Save your dollars, invest in a Care Refresh instead.  
And then at the first drop on the camera the image becomes blurry and therefore useless...

That's kind of what I was thinking, that you can't protect the camera at all. Thanks for the advice! I hadn't considered rain getting on the lens either, which is a bit of an oversight on my part.
2023-1-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I use it on my 2nd Mavic 3 and have flown in the rain many times with no issues. I just give the drone a wipe when it's back and all good, been flying like that for over 6 months now. The drone cools properly as he has created the suits so the hot air still vents out with no issues.
2023-1-26
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

DJI drones accept the rain rather well even without protection. I regularly fly the phantom 4 and Mavic 2 in the rain (moderate), so far no problem. I dry them after work with a hot air fan.
2023-1-26
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

They have a very loyal following on another drone forum, and I like the results they have described.  I have ordered on for the Mini3P but not received it yet.  Looking forward to trying it out for myself!
2023-1-26
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

I have flown in snow and light/moderate rain with both Phantoms and Mavic 2, no problem at all.

Maybe the wetsuit can help in some situations, for example if you fly in heavy rain. But as others have said, you will have a problem with wet lens on the camera.
And the wetsuit does not make the drone waterproof!

2023-1-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We do not recommend installing any 3rd party accessories on the unit as we cannot guarantee the stability of the aircraft since we haven't tested the said accessory. In addition, it is not advisable to fly the said drone in the rain. Please fly safely and thank you for your valued support.
2023-1-26
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

Suren Posted at 1-26 10:13
I use it on my 2nd Mavic 3 and have flown in the rain many times with no issues. I just give the drone a wipe when it's back and all good, been flying like that for over 6 months now. The drone cools properly as he has created the suits so the hot air still vents out with no issues.

Oh yeah? Ever have any water go in the big opening behind the camera? That's my big worry I guess.
2023-1-28
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-26 10:19
DJI drones accept the rain rather well even without protection. I regularly fly the phantom 4 and Mavic 2 in the rain (moderate), so far no problem. I dry them after work with a hot air fan.

They just don't seem like something that would be happy about rain. I imagine that would void my warranty. Thanks for your input!
2023-1-28
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

TonyPHX Posted at 1-26 12:02
They have a very loyal following on another drone forum, and I like the results they have described.  I have ordered on for the Mini3P but not received it yet.  Looking forward to trying it out for myself!

Huh. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I should find out if water damage is covered under my warranty or not, just in case.
2023-1-28
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

ArcticPhoto Posted at 1-26 12:43
I have flown in snow and light/moderate rain with both Phantoms and Mavic 2, no problem at all.

Maybe the wetsuit can help in some situations, for example if you fly in heavy rain. But as others have said, you will have a problem with wet lens on the camera.

Well, even if I couldn't get great images, I think it would still be really cool. I love taking pictures of incoming storms, and if I could stay up just a bit longer that would be awesome. Before I have to flee the rain, that is.
2023-1-28
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Sky Biscuit Posted at 1-28 15:28
Oh yeah? Ever have any water go in the big opening behind the camera? That's my big worry I guess.

Nothing ever got in there
2023-1-28
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sky Biscuit Posted at 1-28 15:33
Well, even if I couldn't get great images, I think it would still be really cool. I love taking pictures of incoming storms, and if I could stay up just a bit longer that would be awesome. Before I have to flee the rain, that is.

Well, they are very responsive to questions and support, and honestly, even thought I am awaiting mine, I trust the experiences of others regarding these.  Check out the videos on youtube regarding these things.
2023-1-28
Use props
fansb4f50ec1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13897156 ft
Canada

I can add a voice.  I have one of these on my Air 2S.  I have flown in a downpour and in snow and it worked as advertised.  I find it really helps me feel 'safe' when weather is wet or if it is threatening to rain.  If I had to find some negatives...
1) Once installed, these are not meant to remove.  I find that makes for a tight fit when putting the drone and batteries into the case I use.  This can caused some of the panels to peel off a bit.  The glue is so far very easy to reattach with a quick press, but I wonder if that will change.
2) Some of the panels really seem to have no particular benefit.  If I had known this I would have been more thoughful and not installed all of them.  It seems to me that the most important is the battery cover itself and making sure that there is no way for water to get in the switch or under the battery (the air 2S has a battery that loads from the top, unlike the Mini 2/3/3P).  perhaps the panels over the vision/distance sensors help avoid false readings there (not sure).
3) Price ?  Seems pricey for what it really is, but to give credit to the seller, it's hard to complain about capitalism in action - he's done the work making the designs, manufacturing, support, etc..
2023-1-31
Use props
djiuser_UxO5zq7cd3pj
New

Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 2023-1-26 20:13
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We do not recommend installing any 3rd party accessories on the unit as we cannot guarantee the stability of the aircraft since we haven't tested the said accessory. In addition, it is not advisable to fly the said drone in the rain. Please fly safely and thank you for your valued support.

Hello all,why cant dji build waterproof drones, why would we have to put a wet suit on them for the amount of money we pay they should be waterproof indestructible thanks all happy flying
2-25 06:03
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

I personally would not put my drones in the way of water.  Even with a wet suit on them.  I look at these as my babies and couldn't do this to them.
2-28 09:54
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_UxO5zq7cd3pj Posted at 2-25 06:03
Hello all,why cant dji build waterproof drones, why would we have to put a wet suit on them for the amount of money we pay they should be waterproof indestructible thanks all happy flying

Thank you for your feedback. We will gather this concern of yours as a suggestion and forward it to our relevant team for future consideration. Should you have other inquiries or concerns, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day!
2-29 03:35
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

Shawgod Posted at 2-28 09:54
I personally would not put my drones in the way of water.  Even with a wet suit on them.  I look at these as my babies and couldn't do this to them.

Fair enough! I still haven't got the courage to try one. It would just be so cool to be able to fly in rain or snow!
3-1 14:45
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

djiuser_UxO5zq7cd3pj Posted at 2-25 06:03
Hello all,why cant dji build waterproof drones, why would we have to put a wet suit on them for the amount of money we pay they should be waterproof indestructible thanks all happy flying

DJI creates waterproof drones, but this is not for the amateur segment. I hope you understand that full protection will be very expensive and will increase not only the cost but also the weight of the drone? The defense that is being discussed here seems to me to have little meaning, because... practically nothing protects, but only increases weight.
3-2 10:18
Use props
_dji_user_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1687385 ft
Estonia

Suite seems pretty useless. Rather, the buyer is left with the joy of shopping.
3-2 11:06
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules