Video upright on PC Upside-down on TV
3751 25 2023-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

I don't know if this is a new problem or a problem at all but...on my 4K videos that I have taken to test this new camera, the videos all play nicely on my PC but are upside-down when playing off of a usb drive to my 4K TV.  What I have found is that no matter the setting as in orientation lock or unlock whenever the camera is upside-down the video data shows it to be "rotation 180 degrees" so I think that is why the TV is showing it wrong way around.  Now my previous camera was an Osmo Action and I did not do this.  Is this something DJI should fix?
2023-1-28
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

mine place off the usb type C on the Smart tv 100% correct

2023-1-28
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

Let me elaborate on this.  My use of the camera is that it is mounted on the wing strut of my airplane.  This requires the camera to be oriented upside-down.  With my previous camera, Osmo Action (OA1), this was not a problem and all my videos made with the OA1 play fine on both PC and Smart 4K TV.  Now, since all my recent test recordings on my new OA3 in that same configuration have shown to be a problem I have been making test videos in both upright and inverted and while all play fine on my PC, when I play them on my Sony Smart 4K TV the files that were recorded with the camera inverted play the video inverted no matter what the settings of the recording were set to.  That is, I have tried all combinations of orientation locked/unlocked and thinking it might be related to Rocksteady I have tried all combos with Rocksteady both on and off and nothing seems to fix this issue.  Not only that but although the TV has an option to adjust the orientation of the picture it will only respond to a change to 90 or 270 degrees but will not respond to a change of 180 degrees.  I am gong to research flipping the video in software to see what happens but comments are welcome.
2023-1-28
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

When you record upside-down with the camera and then you look at the  track info, there is "rotation" parameter listed as 180 degrees. I guess  that's why your TV is a "smart" TV cuz it interprets that parameter.

Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 4.06.28 AM.png
2023-1-28
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

osmonauta Posted at 1-28 19:11
When you record upside-down with the camera and then you look at the  track info, there is "rotation" parameter listed as 180 degrees. I guess  that's why your TV is a "smart" TV cuz it interprets that parameter.

Yes, I have seen that but since my OA1 did not have this issue it has me confused.  I don't have any original video files from my OA1 to see if that parameter was there.
2023-1-28
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I don’t have a TV but I think the reason your TV has only 90 and 270 rotations available because that is what you’d select if you’d turn your TV in portrait mode (eg you physically rotate the TV). Maybe there is a setting somewhere else which allows you to rotate the media file(s) that you are viewing. There are scenarios where you could use a TV to display information in a portrait mode in which case you select that setting depending on whether you rotated the TV left or right.
2023-1-28
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

osmonauta Posted at 1-28 20:09
I don’t have a TV but I think the reason your TV has only 90 and 270 rotations available because that is what you’d select if you’d turn your TV in portrait mode (eg you physically rotate the TV). Maybe there is a setting somewhere else which allows you to rotate the media file(s) that you are viewing. There are scenarios where you could use a TV to display information in a portrait mode in which case you select that setting depending on whether you rotated the TV left or right.

Actually the TV does have options for orientation as follows:
Use Metadata
90 degrees
180 degrees
270 degrees
But choosing 180 degrees makes no change in the video but 90 and 270 do rotate it as expected.  
I have just run a few video files through Magix Movie Studio with no editing and just output then as a 4K Mp4 and that removes the orientation spec from the metadata and it plays nicely on the TV but I wish that wasn't necessary.
2023-1-28
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

tested my Smart tv. , to show you.

2023-1-29
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 1-29 04:55
tested my Smart tv. , to show you.

Hi Fish. I wish mine worked like yours.  All my videos were 4K 60fps and right off the camera memory card with no editing they play inverted.  After running though editing program they play right side up.  Hmmmmm.  TV is a smart Sony 4K but maybe it needs a firmware update?
2023-1-29
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Only issue I see on my end is the thumbnail not showing correctly.  you plugged the camera directly in and that is hte issue you got?
2023-1-29
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I don't think it has to do anything with the orientation lock, but instead how the "smart" TV interprets the "rotation" parameter (provided it is present) in the metadata.

When you start filming right-side up, the "rotation" parameter will not be present in the metadata even if you turn the camera upside down during recording.

However, if you first turn the camera upside down and then start filming, the "rotation = -180" parameter will be embedded in the metadata regardless of the orientation lock. (If you turn the camera right-side up during recording, the "rotation = -180" will still be there since you started recording upside down.) And I think it's up to the TV (make/model/year) to interpret that parameter.

So I think there's nothing DJI should correct. The sensor is simply interpreting that the camera is upside down (when you start out recording like so) and creates a metadata entry for it.
2023-1-29
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Try this.

1. Use 2.7k recording and set stabilization to HorizonSteady. (Unfortunately HorizonSteady is not available in 4K.)
2. Turn Orientation Lock off.
3. Turn the camera upside down and start recording.

Now the "rotation" parameter will not be present in the metadata (possibly because of HorizonSteady) and now the footage should look ok despite the camera started filming while upside down.
2023-1-29
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Orientation lock will always keep landscape on not what you want
2023-1-29
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

you will want to have  the orientation "Off" and  the camera is on your wing, it must stay upsidedown, first, then record last. I think we know that, and the video will play right side up.  Horizon level in 2.7K  you must as well start the record after the camera is Upside down what the video was about and shown,
2023-1-29
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

Thanks for the information.  I will keep testing and trying your suggestions and report back.
2023-1-29
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

OK here is a run down of my trials so far.  
First of all all the thumbnails for each of the following situations displayed upright on the  TV.
Turn on OA3 then turn upside down and start recording.  Displays upside down on TV.
Camera turned upside down and then powered on and recording started. Displays upside down on TV.
Turn on camera right-side up, set to 2.7k with Horizon Steady then inverted camera and started recording. Displays on TV correctly oriented!
Stopped previous recording and restarted recording with same settings.  Displays on TV upside down.

So while it is possible to get the correct orientation starting out right-side up with horizon steady it does not hold true for subsequent clips.

One last thing is I could not get the TV to see the OA3 as a storage device even thought the camera showed it was connected.  I had to put the micro SD card in an adapter then plug that into the TV.  ????? Hmmmm
2023-1-29
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

in my vid the thumbnails will be upside down, not the actual played vide, that I do not get the 2.7K   showed correctly. so it is something to do partially with DJI. I guess.
2023-1-29
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 1-29 12:26
in my vid the thumbnails will be upside down, not the actual played vide, that I do not get the 2.7K   showed correctly. so it is something to do partially with DJI. I guess.

well it was 2.7K but with horizon steady on started in upright position and then turned inverted.  But holding the camera inverted and stopping the recording and then restarting a recording it them dose not display properly. Just an incompatibility between the OA3 and my TV I suppose.  Not sure if I could put the fault on DJI.
2023-1-29
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I totally hear ya.
2023-1-29
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Probably not what you want to do but why not upload videos to you tube and watch on the YouTube app on your tv
2023-1-29
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 1-29 23:31
Probably not what you want to do but why not upload videos to you tube and watch on the YouTube app on your tv

Thanks for the suggestion but usually when I get home from flying around I want to watch what I recorded right away.  Most of my videos are quite long and would need to be edited significantly prior to publishing on YouTube and basically it would take too long to upload them just to review prior to sitting down to edit at a later date.
2023-1-30
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

skysailor64 Posted at 1-29 07:15
Hi Fish. I wish mine worked like yours.  All my videos were 4K 60fps and right off the camera memory card with no editing they play inverted.  After running though editing program they play right side up.  Hmmmmm.  TV is a smart Sony 4K but maybe it needs a firmware update?

Hi Skysailor,
I have the same experience. In my case, video is inverted when playing on PC. But when open it in Openshot it appears non-inverted. Then I just save it as and the saved copy plays non-inverted on PC too.
Another solution I use is to pass my inverted videos in a program I made that rotate videos.

2023-2-3
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

Yaman-Python Posted at 2-3 06:36
Hi Skysailor,
I have the same experience. In my case, video is inverted when playing on PC. But when open it in Openshot it appears non-inverted. Then I just save it as and the saved copy plays non-inverted on PC too.
Another solution I use is to pass my inverted videos in a program I made that rotate videos.

Just downloaded and tried that program.  When I set the output settings to match the source video (4K 2160 at 59..940 fps) the program stops responding a few seconds after the export begins.  I'll play around with it some more though.  Thanks for the recommendation.
2023-2-3
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

skysailor64 Posted at 2-3 07:08
Just downloaded and tried that program.  When I set the output settings to match the source video (4K 2160 at 59..940 fps) the program stops responding a few seconds after the export begins.  I'll play around with it some more though.  Thanks for the recommendation.

I just did it again. It worked. But the export of a 15 s video (4K59.9) took several minutes... Thus, if your video is long, you may have to just wait. But it may not be practical for you. It also depends on PC of course.

Anf just to make sure: I open the video in Openshot, put it on a empty timeline, rotate the video, then export the 'propject'.

2023-2-5
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

Yaman-Python Posted at 2-5 03:57
I just did it again. It worked. But the export of a 15 s video (4K59.9) took several minutes... Thus, if your video is long, you may have to just wait. But it may not be practical for you. It also depends on PC of course.

Anf just to make sure: I open the video in Openshot, put it on a empty timeline, rotate the video, then export the 'propject'.

Thanks.  I guess I will just use my Magix Movie Studio to do the same thing.
2023-2-5
Use props
djiuser_b17bePvwwS3I
New

Australia

Hi,

My OM5 with iPhone 11 has same problem. All clips play very well on my PC's but upside down on TV, no problem with OM4, that means definitely OM5 bug.

Regards.
2023-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules