first flight, bang in the wall... afortunately inside
1074 11 2023-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CrabshackPilot
lvl.2
Mexico

I have a drone (mini 3 pro) scrapped last week as it decided to fly away after 5-6 correct flights and despite collision protection, banged in a wall once I re-took control.

Got a replacement mini 3 with DJI RC this time (no phone needed).

Tonight, first flight, I waited to see it was locked with 12 satellites. Updated RTH point. Did automatic take off expecting it to just raise 1.5 meters as expected, but the bummer again decided to go forward without any f intervention on my part and banged in the window (afortunately closed, otherwise it would have also went away god knos where.

12 f... satellites, and then again it was ready for a fly-away.

Anyone can explain this to me?   While I read these things were common 5 years ago and less right now, this would have been the second time (2 drones, after 5-6 fligths in total) that would have geven me that result.

Anyone aware of this at DJI ? I had just completed the calibration 360, vertical, horizontal, whatever it asked for.

I do not understand and I am very worry to fly that toy.
2023-2-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, CrabshackPilot. Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry to read about the unfortunate events. Regretfully, we cannot know for sure why this is happening to your drones as this kind of situation needs to undergo Data Analysis. Please contact our support at (https://www.dji.com/support) to check how you can request Data Analysis for the Mini 3 Pro that flew away. Please be advised that if the Mini 3 Pro is still under warranty, Data Analysis will be free, otherwise, it will be $65. Thank you for your kind understanding and support.
2023-2-4
Use props
AZ Tony
lvl.3
United States

Have you ever flown it outside?
2023-2-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you flying indoors,   if you are you will have to keep the drone where you want it,   inside the GPS does not give you the stability you would have out doors.   for first flights its always best out doors in a large open area.
2023-2-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you want to learn what your flight data tells of your incident ...

Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

You'll find instructions to upload the data to that site and it will give a report.  

For help interpreting the data you can post a link for the report here or just post the .txt file.

There are experienced pilots here who will give an explanation of the cause of your incident.
2023-2-5
Use props
CrabshackPilot
lvl.2
Mexico

AZ Tony Posted at 2-4 23:46
Have you ever flown it outside?

This one, not yet. The previous one yes, 5-6 times.
2023-2-5
Use props
CrabshackPilot
lvl.2
Mexico

DAFlys Posted at 2-4 23:53
Are you flying indoors,   if you are you will have to keep the drone where you want it,   inside the GPS does not give you the stability you would have out doors.   for first flights its always best out doors in a large open area.

Well before i slammed the other one, i have had 5-6 succesful flights with good experimentation including on roof of a 25 floors building.  
2023-2-5
Use props
CrabshackPilot
lvl.2
Mexico

DAFlys Posted at 2-4 23:53

I tested satellites (12 connected) exactñy on that spot, then lift it up with auto take off and it went forward to slam the windows - totally unexpecred. On purpose i closed the large window/door just in case this … would happen
2023-2-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CrabshackPilot Posted at 2-5 10:17
I tested satellites (12 connected) exactñy on that spot, then lift it up with auto take off and it went forward to slam the windows - totally unexpecred. On purpose i closed the large window/door just in case this … would happen

The number of satellites isn't really important,  its the quality,  Inside the drone will need more input from the pilot to stop it drifting or flying off.
2023-2-6
Use props
Blackbuckone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68967 ft
United Kingdom

CrabshackPilot Posted at 2-5 10:17
I tested satellites (12 connected) exactñy on that spot, then lift it up with auto take off and it went forward to slam the windows - totally unexpecred. On purpose i closed the large window/door just in case this … would happen

I wouldn't fly mine indoors but perhaps the sensors on yours are picking up an object so it's going forward into avoid mode ?

I have used a couple of tight take-off points, outside with a wall and fench around me and the sensors really don't like it and seem to give it a mind of it's own, so I put it into sport mode for take off and landing if somewhere like this turning the sensors off and this sorted it out.

Cheers
2023-2-6
Use props
AZ Tony
lvl.3
United States

Agree with Blackbuckone, I would not even attempt flying my M3P indoors, but I’m pretty new on the drone thing. I call this my first drone, but I did have an e flight mini drone I used to fly around the house years ago during winter when it was too cold to get out and fly the planes. However I did consider that one a toy. It also did not have a camera. In addition I did fly a mini heli around the house and occasionally still do. I have banged both of them up numerous times, picked them up quick visual and toss them in the air again. Both were bought on sale for around 50 bucks each. They have been very durable toys. To me the MP3 cost way more than I’m willing to risk on indoor flight. Ive now around 20 flights on the DJI and has flown perfect outside.
2023-2-6
Use props
CrabshackPilot
lvl.2
Mexico

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Indeed, space was tight. But on other occasions, when spaces had been tight, I have seen drone taking off but just refuse any input to move - especially laterally. Sensor related, sure.

2023-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules