2798 8 2023-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_pKJTzQYO6mR5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 300446 ft
United States

Hey everybody,

Lately I've been noticing that the displayed height on my controller is not accurate with the actual height of my mini 3 pro.  

Example,   I'll turn it on and lift off and its fine but after flying around my neighborhood or park and when i bring it back to land in the same area close to the home location the displayed height will be 7 ft when its 4 ft and when its landing the displayed ft goes into the negative.

Last night was the worst so far. I lifted off from my driveway and was taking some 360 pictures and other pano shots and when i brought it back to my driveway within a couple feet from the homepoint it was showing it was 20ft up when it was 4ft from the ground and the downward sensors displayed the correct height.

Is there something I can calibrate?  On average when I lift off when i have somewhere in the high 20's for my satellites and always have between 30-32 satellite locks during flight
2023-2-5
Use props
djiuser_pKJTzQYO6mR5
lvl.1
United States

I forgot to mention,  once I land it the incorrect displayed heights zero out.   The downward sensor height works fine.  I bought this mini 3 in in October 2022 and each of my 3 batteries are at 10 cycles to give a idea how much I've used it
2023-2-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Spain

That's completely normal.
Height is measured with a barometric sensor and changes in air pressure during the duration of your flight are responsible.
2023-2-5
Use props
djiuser_pKJTzQYO6mR5
lvl.1
United States

I understand that it'll change during flight but if I take it to 100 feet then back down to 5, shouldn't the displayed height show 5 again when it's back down to 5 ft?  Or are you saying it's normal to display the wrong altitude after a flight?
I just haven't noticed this before and I don't remember this problem
2023-2-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would not be worried by discrepancies that were less than 10ft, check your other flights and see if it averages out. At a quick look around 14% of my flights show a discrepancy greater than 1m and some of those are real variations in height,
2023-2-5
Use props
djiuser_pKJTzQYO6mR5
lvl.1
United States

I'm going to look at my screen recordings but I think I've had some landings with 20 feet showing.  

No, just 9-10 ft off while landing.  Im not happy about that but if you guys say its normal then it is what it is
2023-2-5
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Completely normal.
All DJI drones since Phantom onwards do this.
Likely bet is the barometric sensor for altitude isnt temperature compensated.  As the drone warms up during flight the calibration changes, isn't adjusted so the altitude is different to that measured at the start.

Its nothing to do with GPS - its the baro altitude.

Its not an issue.  VPS doesn't use it anyway so other than the on-screen readout it doesnt have much of a real world effect.
2023-2-5
Use props
djiuser_pKJTzQYO6mR5
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the help everyone.  I've been using my mini 3 a lot more lately and was worried something was wrong with it.
Screenshot_20230205-163854_Gallery.jpg
2023-2-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for notifying us about this concern. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. The near-ground altitude is the combined altitude of the barometer and GPS. The barometer is easily affected by unstable low air pressure, air temperature, and other factors. This can lead to a deviation in the barometer metered altitude. The GPS altitude is also affected by accuracy, which can lead to an error with the near-ground altitude. However, this does not affect flight performances. To improve altitude displays, you may refer to these recommendations:
1. Land the aircraft and take off again. At this point, the flight controller will recalculate the aircraft's altitude relative to the takeoff point. This can improve display accuracy.
2. Do not fly the aircraft forcedly in a vertical direction (Repeated rapid ascending and descending will lead to a larger altitude error). This can improve display accuracy.
3. Calibrate the IMU.
Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day.
2023-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules