12Next >
1933 50 2023-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

Hello everyone,
Following on from a recent chat with Downtown and Monty, I am now creating this new thread. I hope that the thread will attract any suggestions, tips, advice for anyone (like me) who is new to the hobby. So let's see those suggestions roll in

2023-2-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For your first flights,  start in a large open outdoor space.  Make sure you have the confirmation that the homepoint has been recorded before taking off.
2023-2-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, GT2022. Welcome to DJI Forum! We suggest reading the manual (https://www.dji.com/downloads/products/mini-2) of the drone and watching Youtube tutorials like the DJI channel (DJI Tutorials Youtube) for tutorial videos. If you need assistance. don't hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Have a safe flight always!

2023-2-6
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-6 01:30
Hi, GT2022. Welcome to DJI Forum! We suggest reading the manual (https://www.dji.com/downloads/products/mini-2) of the drone and watching Youtube tutorials like the DJI channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClH0xVO3zOfYdGjoPU6S2hw) for tutorial videos. If you need assistance. don't hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Have a safe flight always!

Thanks Gamora. Yes that's a good idea too but it's always reassuring to get suggestions and tips from experienced pilots in addition to the manuals and vids you've mentioned. When I started this thread, I was coming more from a perspective of gaining that reassurance in order to get to a comfort level with my first flights that notwithstanding the large number of youtube vids etc that I've watched, they just don't provide the same level for me. Anyway, if you don't think this thread is worthwhile I would have no objections that you as Administrator could remove it.
2023-2-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Focus on the flying first.
Get to know your drone well, how it behaves etc.
It is (can be) a scary thing to fly when you are new to this.
2023-2-6
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Here's one that I heard in a random YouTube video that I haven't heard anywhere else, but that I now try to keep in mind.

If your drone is being chased by birds, flip to sport mode and ascend full speed (if safe to do so!).

Birds cannot climb vertically, but your drone can, so this will gain some distance that you can use to find a safer place to get back to the ground away from the marauding flock.

2023-2-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

GT2022 Posted at 2-6 01:38
Thanks Gamora. Yes that's a good idea too but it's always reassuring to get suggestions and tips from experienced pilots in addition to the manuals and vids you've mentioned. When I started this thread, I was coming more from a perspective of gaining that reassurance in order to get to a comfort level with my first flights that notwithstanding the large number of youtube vids etc that I've watched, they just don't provide the same level for me. Anyway, if you don't think this thread is worthwhile I would have no objections that you as Administrator could remove it.

Hi, GT2022. No worries. I just added the links so that you can save them because I believe that they will be useful in the future. Hope you can get more suggestions from our co-pilots here. Have a good one!
2023-2-6
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-6 03:29
Hi, GT2022. No worries. I just added the links so that you can save them because I believe that they will be useful in the future. Hope you can get more suggestions from our co-pilots here. Have a good one!

Yes thanks again Gamora. I've bookmarked the link and have refreshed my understanding by watching the first vid in that set. As you say, handy to keep that link.
2023-2-6
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 2-6 02:44
Here's one that I heard in a random YouTube video that I haven't heard anywhere else, but that I now try to keep in mind.

If your drone is being chased by birds, flip to sport mode and ascend full speed (if safe to do so!).

Yes, I'd heard that somewhere too NOT (maybe it was your good self). Birds can certainly get you in a flap sometimes. The last couple of days I've been buzzed by a low flying white cockatoo. It wasn't of course aiming to do a magpie on me but when it was directly overhead at no more than 15 feet height, it let out that characteristic screech that was very startling indeed.
2023-2-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Read the manual before doing anything else.
2023-2-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

The most important check before flying is to check the drone compass.

Compare in the map view the drone heading (blue arrow) with the actual heading of your drone.
If not the same : DO NOT FLY.

If your are a Window user > use FRAP to analyse your flightlogs.
link > https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid2023752

cheers
JJB
2023-2-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

After reading the manual as Bleriot53 said, read it again, then about ten more times. Especially all the warnings and notices.
2023-2-6
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Starting out alone is not necessarily motivating. Maybe you have the opportunity to get closer to the Model Aeronautical Association of Australia. You can find the list of clubs here:

https://www.maaa.asn.au/aircraft/find-a-club

In principle in this kind of clubs people are very welcoming and will be able to comfort you for your first steps.
2023-2-6
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

Well a big thank you to all who have (and will) contribute to this thread. I am sure I and other newbies will get a lot out of the suggestions that have been put forward.
2023-2-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

GT2022 Posted at 2-6 12:47
Well a big thank you to all who have (and will) contribute to this thread. I am sure I and other newbies will get a lot out of the suggestions that have been put forward.

A couple of years back I made up a pre-flight checklist that I use and have passed it along to my grandson and he uses it also.  Lots of the items on the checklist were provided by other experienced pilots so I can't take credit for it but wanted to share in case any new users found it worthwhile to use.  I have shared it in the past and some feel it is too long and that's okay as I respect their thoughts on this.  

PREFLIGHT CHECKLIST.pdf

106.51 KB, Down times: 15

2023-2-6
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-6 13:25
A couple of years back I made up a pre-flight checklist that I use and have passed it along to my grandson and he uses it also.  Lots of the items on the checklist were provided by other experienced pilots so I can't take credit for it but wanted to share in case any new users found it worthwhile to use.  I have shared it in the past and some feel it is too long and that's okay as I respect their thoughts on this.

Well, I don't think it's too long Downtown. Thank you for posting this as I'm sure it will assist many flyers both new and old for much of it is where you've formalised what I suppose we all should attempt to remember.
2023-2-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GT2022 Posted at 2-6 14:25
Well, I don't think it's too long Downtown. Thank you for posting this as I'm sure it will assist many flyers both new and old for much of it is where you've formalised what I suppose we all should attempt to remember.

I appreciate your comments.  
2023-2-6
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-6 14:26
I appreciate your comments.

No worries Downtown. Your ongoing advice and assistance has certainly helped me to become more comfortable using the drone. That list IMO, is a concise gem of what should be part of everyone's routine.
Thanks again.
2023-2-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Switch to C mode when filming,   It will help smooth out the footage.  
2023-2-7
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 2-7 01:09
Switch to C mode when filming,   It will help smooth out the footage.

As a new pilot I must say I've used mainly (almost exclusively so far) the cinematic mode
2023-2-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GT2022 Posted at 2-7 01:41
As a new pilot I must say I've used mainly (almost exclusively so far) the cinematic mode

Just remember to engage it after take off,   before take off the switch doesn't work and it will default back to N mode.
2023-2-7
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-6 13:25

I also created a checklist for the Mini 2 last year.

It comes in a full version and also a credit card sized pocket checklist form.

The first post in this thread has download links to the latest version of each, but I will also add the files directly here for ease of access.

DJI Mini 2 Checklist_v1.2.pdf

943.85 KB, Down times: 5

DJI Mini 2 Checklist - CC-size.pdf

819.67 KB, Down times: 13

2023-2-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GT2022 Posted at 2-6 17:37
No worries Downtown. Your ongoing advice and assistance has certainly helped me to become more comfortable using the drone. That list IMO, is a concise gem of what should be part of everyone's routine.
Thanks again.

Just trying to help where I can.  Hope you are having a great week.
2023-2-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

No Original Thought Posted at 2-7 02:32

Very thorough checklist.  The wallet size one was a great idea.  
2023-2-7
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 2-7 02:32

I missed the wallet sized one previously but I agree with Downtown that's a great idea being as it is so portable so it will be hard to forget me NOT
2023-2-7
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 2-7 01:49
Just remember to engage it after take off,   before take off the switch doesn't work and it will default back to N mode.

Oh I didn't realise that DAFlys so thanks for the heads up.
2023-2-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

GT2022 Posted at 2-6 04:05
Yes thanks again Gamora. I've bookmarked the link and have refreshed my understanding by watching the first vid in that set. As you say, handy to keep that link.

You're most welcome! If you need assistance don't hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Have a safe flight always!
2023-2-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Spain

No Original Thought Posted at 2-6 02:44
Here's one that I heard in a random YouTube video that I haven't heard anywhere else, but that I now try to keep in mind.

That's a very short-term solution and not much help at all.
Going higher only means your drone is exposed for longer because you eventually have to come down.
If the OP encounters a determined Australian Magpie later in the year when some of them become aggressive, the only solution is to fly somewhere else.
2023-2-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GT2022 Posted at 2-7 04:05
Oh I didn't realise that DAFlys so thanks for the heads up.

No probs GT2022.   Its the same with sports mode too
2023-2-8
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2-8 00:35

@No Original Thought
Well Labroides I must disagree with you here. I believe NOT was simply suggesting that indeed it was a temporary/emergency measure to get the drone out of harm's way. Then you could indeed fly somewhere else being the escape plan B.
2023-2-8
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2-8 00:35

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say.

A few weeks ago I was shooting over a river (Sunset Bridge photo I posted in works was one of the results).

While I was in the air a guy decided to come and feed the birds on the river, and everywhere I flew to get away from him he followed for some perverse reason.

When the birds thought the Mini 2 was after their food they started to take an interest and they were faster than the drone - as they would be.

I flipped to sport, climbed rapidly and then flew off a good 50m or so away, then descended where it was safe.

I then walked along the river to other side of the bridge. The guy didn't follow, and I got to fly and take my photos.

I was glad if the advice that YouTuber had provided as it helped me get out of a situation that could have resulted in a swimming drone.
2023-2-8
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 2-8 03:40
The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say.

A few weeks ago I was shooting over a river (Sunset Bridge photo I posted in works was one of the results).

Hehe NOT. A good example of notwithstanding the song from Mary Poppins .... [don't] feed the birds [even if it's only] tuppence a bag
2023-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

GT2022 Posted at 2-8 00:43
@No Original Thought
Well Labroides I must disagree with you here. I believe NOT was simply suggesting that indeed it was a temporary/emergency measure to get the drone out of harm's way. Then you could indeed fly somewhere else being the escape plan B.

Believe whatever you like.
I'm speaking from experience.
I've had to deal with magpies who were seriously intent on tackling my drone.
'They aren't like some docile English sparrows.

I tried to climb and it's great.
The drone goes up faster than they can.
But you have to bring the drone down sometime and because the drone is now at a higher elevation, you've just set yourself up for an even longer dogfight with the determined magpie sitting behind your drone like he's the Red Baron.
And if you think you can just fly away from the magpie, you have an interesting lesson in your future.
2023-2-8
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-8 05:41
I've had to deal with magpies who were seriously intent on tackling my drone.

@Labroides, I am thinking this would make a good video.  Just add some Top Gun Kenny Loggins music and some missile lock beeping!  : )
2023-2-8
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2-8 05:41
I've had to deal with magpies who were seriously intent on tackling my drone.

@No Original Thought
Labroides, when I said "...I believe what NOT was simply suggesting ..." my intention wasn't to discredit your input but rather to just point out that NOT himself had IMO, effectively described one way to deal with bird attacks. Now, I am neither an experienced pilot (yet) nor an orthinologist, however, it appeared to me that assuming NOT is correct that birds can't helicopter fashion vertically, then a rapid acceleration to the vertical must indeed provide a temporary escape vector. NOT has in a subsequent post described just how he managed to escape a bird episode see in this thread "...I flipped to sport, climbed rapidly and then flew off a good 50m or so away, then descended where it was safe...."
Cheers.
2023-2-8
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

GT2022 Posted at 2-8 12:38
@No Original Thought
Labroides, when I said "...I believe what NOT was simply suggesting ..." my intention wasn't to discredit your input but rather to just point out that NOT himself had IMO, effectively described one way to deal with bird attacks. Now, I am neither an experienced pilot (yet) nor an orthinologist, however, it appeared to me that assuming NOT is correct that birds can't helicopter fashion vertically, then a rapid acceleration to the vertical must indeed provide a temporary escape vector. NOT has in a subsequent post described just how he managed to escape a bird episode see in this thread "...I flipped to sport, climbed rapidly and then flew off a good 50m or so away, then descended where it was safe...."
Cheers.
Just to clarify, I'm no ornithologist either (though I was a member of the Young Ornithologists Club when I was about 9). The claim about birds not being able to climb vertically was from a YouTube video.

The trick worked for me when I needed it to. That's not too say it would work 100% of the time, but my experience proved to me that it works at least some of the time. (With pigeons, geese and various ducks if I recall correctly - the swans stayed in the water).

They said, my suggestion is obviously not worth keeping in mind at all as Labroids is the only person on this forum who actually has any real experience of anything. Unless he approves information it is worthless.
2023-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

GT2022 Posted at 2-8 12:38
@No Original Thought
Cheers.

Well there you go ... NOT has given you perfect advice for dealing with sparrows and pigeons.
But as an Australian ecologist who has flown with aggressive magpies, and has thousands of miles professional drone flying, what would I know?
2023-2-8
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2-8 14:27
Well there you go ... NOT has given you perfect advice for dealing with sparrows and pigeons.
But as an Australian ecologist who has flown with aggressive magpies, and has thousands of miles professional drone flying, what would I know?

Again, I've yet to (hopefully never will) encounter any bird issues and as far as magpies, you bet I won't be flying around gum trees and the like during the peak maggie nesting season here in Australia. So thanks for the reminder/warning that maggies do pose a potential threat. When I purchased the mini 2, the seller also sounded a caution that eagles can be problematic too. With stories of even small dogs being snatched from their owners  by various large birds of prey, it does take little imagination to see the drone confused perhaps by such birds as prey and snatched away.
2023-2-8
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2-8 14:27

You clearly misunderstood my post Labroids.

Even ignoring the fact that I didn't even mention sparrows, my post was bowing to your obviously superiotlr intellect and prowess. After all, you have never been wrong about anything ever and so whatever you say should be taken as gospel by all.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if books are written about you at some point in the next few hundred years where mere mortals like myself and everyone else on this forum can read the infallible wisdom imparted in the gospel of Labroids.
2023-2-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

No Original Thought Posted at 2-9 00:41
You clearly misunderstood my post Labroids.

Even ignoring the fact that I didn't even mention sparrows, my post was bowing to your obviously superiotlr intellect and prowess. After all, you have never been wrong about anything ever and so whatever you say should be taken as gospel by all.

Your message came across loud and clear.
You've taken offense because I gave the OP helpful advice, based on experience and had to show how much you resent that.
Then had to come back and emphasise it to show that you really are the turd in the punchbowl.

2023-2-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules