Police Called By The HOA For Flying A Drone!!!
1307 22 2023-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

didn't know where else to post this; I think the pilot is flying a dji drone.

this occured in america, down in the south, if that means anything.

watch until the end for the conclusion; please provide your feedback (right now i don't have a final personal opinion):

2023-2-9
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

HOA is opening themselves up to some liability for trying to regulate the airspace.  : )
2023-2-9
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Both sides were guilty of entitlement and lack of respect for the other. A petty little encounter that didn't need to happen.
2023-2-9
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Good on the pilot for standing his grounds but keeping a calm demeanour and even bigger Kudos to the cop for admitting in the end that he misunderstood the regulation
2023-2-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shocking the cop admitted he was wrong.  
2023-2-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 2-9 19:23
HOA is opening themselves up to some liability for trying to regulate the airspace.  : )

That's HOA Board Members trying to make their own rules to override FAA laws.  At least the Deputy called in and found out he was wrong and was man enough to admit it at the end of the video.  Unfortunately, he needs to also let the Board Members know that the county rule can't overide FAA laws.
2023-2-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-10 01:15

I give him kudos for following up with his supervisor and letting the individual know that he misinterpreted the country rule and for letting the individual know he was wrong.
2023-2-10
Use props
dcfox
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1034029 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-10 01:15

Why? I was a cop for for 20 years and admitted when I was wrong.
2023-2-10
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

What does "HOA" stand for?
2023-2-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 2-10 14:02
What does "HOA" stand for?

home owners association

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/hoa.asp
2023-2-10
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

All those people in that subdivision vote every November and have their congressman's telephone number.   Laws can change.   Here in the USA, the politicians can write their own laws overriding the FAA.  Here in the USA, politicians have the final say---not the FAA.

That dude was acting like there was some constitutional amendment guaranteeing his right to fly a drone near houses in a subdivision that he didn't live in.  There isn't.  Laws can change.  If enough people audit  the way he did, the FAA will re-instate the 500 foot rule from 2015 or the politicians will re-instate it for them.
2023-2-10
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneApe Posted at 2-10 15:51
All those people in that subdivision vote every November and have their congressman's telephone number.   Laws can change.   Here in the USA, the politicians can write their own laws overriding the FAA.  Here in the USA, politicians have the final say---not the FAA.

That dude was acting like there was some constitutional amendment guaranteeing his right to fly a drone near houses in a subdivision that he didn't live in.  There isn't.  Laws can change.  If enough people audit  the way he did, the FAA will re-instate the 500 foot rule from 2015 or the politicians will re-instate it for them.

That will make real-estate videos pretty much horrible.  
2023-2-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dcfox Posted at 2-10 08:18
Why? I was a cop for for 20 years and admitted when I was wrong.

Im pretty sure then you are the exception.  
2023-2-11
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

Hi The Saint,

thank you for sharing.

Perhaps he should speak to the neighborhood before planning a flight to avoid fear reactions from the local residents.

Thanks to all participants in the video for staying calm
2023-2-11
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Thank you all for explaining it to someone who had no idea.  
2023-2-11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

interaction with the state police if anyone has any comments

2023-2-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Who was the spotter? Or is a spotter no longer required?
2023-2-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-22 16:04
Who was the spotter? Or is a spotter no longer required?

spotter is still required and i think he has 3 other guys in his crew that look out for him while flying fpv.  going forward i guess they'll need to look out for "endangered" birds as well.
2023-2-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 2-22 16:36
spotter is still required and i think he has 3 other guys in his crew that look out for him while flying fpv.  going forward i guess they'll need to look out for "endangered" birds as well.

But doesn't the law say the spotter has to be co-located (beside?) the pilot? That I saw there was no one beside him, apart from what I think are tourists, in the shots showing him wearing goggles.
2023-2-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-22 16:53
But doesn't the law say the spotter has to be co-located (beside?) the pilot? That I saw there was no one beside him, apart from what I think are tourists, in the shots showing him wearing goggles.

The spotter has to be in direct communication with the RPIC. Since they are all within about fifty feet of each other... I live about fifteen miles from the Capitol.
2023-2-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-22 18:05
The spotter has to be in direct communication with the RPIC. Since they are all within about fifty feet of each other... I live about fifteen miles from the Capitol.

fair enough.
2023-2-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-22 16:53
But doesn't the law say the spotter has to be co-located (beside?) the pilot? That I saw there was no one beside him, apart from what I think are tourists, in the shots showing him wearing goggles.

true and i don't think his boys were actually spotting for him but doing their own thing.  from what i remember, you need to be within shouting distance but i've seen this particular flyer use radios to communicate.  i don't particularly like the rule and i know it is widely ignored in the fpv community but i don't think the trooper can enforce it.
2023-2-22
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sometimes there are dumb people in this world.
2023-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules