Recommended good propeller practices
2254 28 2023-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

I wonder if forum members can give me some tips, advice, recommendations about propellers pertaining to general care and maintenance. I am particularly interested in when doing a routine check of the secure status (or otherwise) of the propellers which I usually do with a visual inspection, how tight the screws should be? I mean, this would seem particularly important whenever I have to replace a prop which with careful flying I hope not to have to do any time soon. When the inevitable? time comes to change a propeller or two or four can anyone help me to understand the answers to my questions? I have once used the small screwdriver that came with the Flymore kit but again, I am unsure of the torque that might be recommended. Intuitively, I imagine that so long as they were tight without undue turning of the screw that should be right?

2023-2-13
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

Don't use that driver that comes in the box. Use a jewelers driver, and the torque is the maximum that a wimp can do on that thin screwdriver.

The supplied screws have blue loctite on them, which is designed to set in 10 minutes to 24 hours, so don't move it after tightening. There is a danger of placing the screw in at the wrong angle and threading the short socket. They supply 3 screws per blade pair. There is a possibility that the screw shank will be too short, and the prop blade isn't free-moving.

I have replaced the whole lot, about twice over. The Mini 2 probably has firmer screws than the Mini 3
2023-2-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I change props I hand tighten until snug.  Remember these are very small screws with fine thread.  With the loctite on the threads you don't have to overtighten them.  After replacing props I always do a 60 second warm up of the engines on the ground while visually observing the props and then a 2 minute hover test about 4 feet off the ground just to make sure no issues before I take off on a long flight.  
2023-2-13
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

Zoooom Posted at 2-13 04:30
Don't use that driver that comes in the box. Use a jewelers driver, and the torque is the maximum that a wimp can do on that thin screwdriver.
[view_image]

Thanks Zooom. Your post however, is a little confusing (to me at least). When you say "...have blue loctite on them...so don't move it after tightening..." do you mean that a routine check of the in situ screws can't or shouldn't be attempted?
2023-2-13
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-13 04:33
When I change props I hand tighten until snug.  Remember these are very small screws with fine thread.  With the loctite on the threads you don't have to overtighten them.  After replacing props I always do a 60 second warm up of the engines on the ground while visually observing the props and then a 2 minute hover test about 4 feet off the ground just to make sure no issues before I take off on a long flight.

Thanks Downtown, however, I'm more interested in working from a position that my (newish) drone seems to have all the props firmly installed but I fret a little whether the screws can work loose over time. As you and Zooom have indicated, loctite should I suppose mean that one need only check the props after an accident or some other event which may have damaged the props which then would need to be optimally, replaced to be sure of things?
2023-2-13
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

GT2022 Posted at 2-13 04:54
Thanks Zooom. Your post however, is a little confusing (to me at least). When you say "...have blue loctite on them...so don't move it after tightening..." do you mean that a routine check of the in situ screws can't or shouldn't be attempted?

>>do you mean that a routine check of the in situ screws can't or shouldn't be attempted?

https://www.conro.com/how-long-does-loctite-take-to-dry/
https://www.tryloctite.in/faq/

I wouldnt test screws, because it will wreck the interface. Just look at the height of the screws.

2023-2-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GT2022 Posted at 2-13 04:57
Thanks Downtown, however, I'm more interested in working from a position that my (newish) drone seems to have all the props firmly installed but I fret a little whether the screws can work loose over time. As you and Zooom have indicated, loctite should I suppose mean that one need only check the props after an accident or some other event which may have damaged the props which then would need to be optimally, replaced to be sure of things?

I've never had a DJI Prop screw with loctite on it back out or turn loose until I applied a screwdriver to it for removal and replacing a prop.  Once I have the screw tightened in I only visually inspect the props.  I don't put a screwdriver back in to test tightness until time to replace the prop again.  DJI props do last a long time during normal flying, crashing is another matter altogether.  
2023-2-13
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-13 05:32
I've never had a DJI Prop screw with loctite on it back out or turn loose until I applied a screwdriver to it for removal and replacing a prop.  Once I have the screw tightened in I only visually inspect the props.  I don't put a screwdriver back in to test tightness until time to replace the prop again.  DJI props do last a long time during normal flying, crashing is another matter altogether.

Thanks again Zooom and Downtown. I now know not to bother fiddling with the in situ screws and props and only need worry about them if as I mentioned before, they actually do need replacing. The manual though sometimes causes a little confusion/uncertainty when it says things like before each flight check all props etc. Apart from a visual inspection it seems there is no need to check for tightness the screws and indeed from what you have said, it could actually be counter-productive.
2023-2-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You might want to look into a Wow stick they are great for changing the prop screws when the time comes,   they can be used manually as well as electronically.   Aliexpress usually have some good deals on them.
2023-2-13
Use props
neoborg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

After nearly a year of owning my DJI Mini 2, I have never replaced the propellers yet.  I've simply been lucky and careful enough to avoid damaging them.

The reason you shouldn't tweak/tighten/test the screws after installation, is because you will probably break and weaken the blue Loctite bond, increasing the chances of damaged screws becoming loose mid-flight.

The Loctite takes a little time to harden - I personally don't know the times, but @Zoooom tells us it's from 10 minutes to 24 hours.  Loctite's product page says that the product cures fully in 24 hours, although I'm at a loss to what the 10 minutes is for - perhaps the curing time, during which you can make minor tweaks to the product which you applied the Loctite to.
2023-2-13
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 2-13 06:26
You might want to look into a Wow stick they are great for changing the prop screws when the time comes,   they can be used manually as well as electronically.   Aliexpress usually have some good deals on them.

Well thanks everyone. My take now is (as I've mentioned in a reply to Downtown and Zooom) just leave the props alone unless and until any incident that dictates a change out of the originally supplied with the drone props.
2023-2-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, GT2022. Thank you for reaching out. Before each flight, it is necessary to check the propellers for cracks, wear, warp, corrosion, and loose screws. If any of these conditions are present, the propellers should be replaced. Follow the instructions in the user manual to replace the propellers. Use the included screwdriver to change the propellers. Please follow the instructions provided. Remove the two blades and screws on the same arm, and replace the propellers in the same package with new screws. Attach the propellers with marks to the arms with marks, and the unmarked propellers to unmarked arms. Ensure that the propellers and arms are installed securely before each flight. In addition, you may refer to this video as a reference for replacing the propellers (Please note that the drone in the video is Mavic Mini which has different propellers but the process of replacing will be the same):

We hope this helps. Thank you for your continued support.
2023-2-13
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-13 19:53
Hi, GT2022. Thank you for reaching out. Before each flight, it is necessary to check the propellers for cracks, wear, warp, corrosion, and loose screws. If any of these conditions are present, the propellers should be replaced. Follow the instructions in the user manual to replace the propellers. Use the included screwdriver to change the propellers. Please follow the instructions provided. Remove the two blades and screws on the same arm, and replace the propellers in the same package with new screws. Attach the propellers with marks to the arms with marks, and the unmarked propellers to unmarked arms. Ensure that the propellers and arms are installed securely before each flight. In addition, you may refer to this video as a reference for replacing the propellers (Please note that the drone in the video is Mavic Mini which has different propellers but the process of replacing will be the same):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SA4pye4E90
We hope this helps. Thank you for your continued support.

Hello Gamora,
Indeed this does help very much. I've copied the video URL as I think that video more than adequately explains the process. One question however, remains: if threadlocker (locktite) is installed from the factory, is there any recommendation to similarly apply some threadlocker before installing the replacement propellers?
2023-2-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GT2022 Posted at 2-13 22:06
Hello Gamora,
Indeed this does help very much. I've copied the video URL as I think that video more than adequately explains the process. One question however, remains: if threadlocker (locktite) is installed from the factory, is there any recommendation to similarly apply some threadlocker before installing the replacement propellers?

You should not reuse the screws,  the fitting instructions with the props states that really clearly,    Also if you have a loose screw it should be replaced as the thread lock has failed and it will just come loose again.
2023-2-14
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 2-14 00:42
You should not reuse the screws,  the fitting instructions with the props states that really clearly,    Also if you have a loose screw it should be replaced as the thread lock has failed and it will just come loose again.

Hello DAFlys,
Yes but I'm not sure you have understood my enquiry and comments to Gamora. You see, I am not inclined to change the props unless there is a definite need to do so. Should I ever need to change the props using the spares and screws in the Flymore kit I bought, I would naturally discard the previous props and screws. My further question to Gamora was should I apply any threadlocker to the new (again from the Flymore kit) screws or just use them natively.
2023-2-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GT2022 Posted at 2-14 01:26
Hello DAFlys,
Yes but I'm not sure you have understood my enquiry and comments to Gamora. You see, I am not inclined to change the props unless there is a definite need to do so. Should I ever need to change the props using the spares and screws in the Flymore kit I bought, I would naturally discard the previous props and screws. My further question to Gamora was should I apply any threadlocker to the new (again from the Flymore kit) screws or just use them natively.

The screws that come with the props have the thread lock already applied to them.  
2023-2-14
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 2-14 01:42
The screws that come with the props have the thread lock already applied to them.

That's good to know DA but I'm not sure how that could actually be - the locktight is something that is in liquid form isn't it? If so, wouldn't it need to be applied when the screws are installed because then the liquid would take 10 minutes or something to set? See also the links provided in this thread by Zooom.
2023-2-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GT2022 Posted at 2-13 05:43
Thanks again Zooom and Downtown. I now know not to bother fiddling with the in situ screws and props and only need worry about them if as I mentioned before, they actually do need replacing. The manual though sometimes causes a little confusion/uncertainty when it says things like before each flight check all props etc. Apart from a visual inspection it seems there is no need to check for tightness the screws and indeed from what you have said, it could actually be counter-productive.

You're very welcome.  Happy flying.  
2023-2-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GT2022 Posted at 2-14 03:12
That's good to know DA but I'm not sure how that could actually be - the locktight is something that is in liquid form isn't it? If so, wouldn't it need to be applied when the screws are installed because then the liquid would take 10 minutes or something to set? See also the links provided in this thread by Zooom.

No it's a special dry loctite that is pre applied.   The wet stuff could easily drip into the motor windings.
2023-2-14
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 2-14 03:22
No it's a special dry loctite that is pre applied.   The wet stuff could easily drip into the motor windings.

Ah that's good then thanks again DA.
2023-2-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GT2022 Posted at 2-14 03:35
Ah that's good then thanks again DA.

No probs GT2022.
2023-2-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

GT2022 Posted at 2-13 22:06
Hello Gamora,
Indeed this does help very much. I've copied the video URL as I think that video more than adequately explains the process. One question however, remains: if threadlocker (locktite) is installed from the factory, is there any recommendation to similarly apply some threadlocker before installing the replacement propellers?

Hi, GT2022. Kindly refer to DAFlys' reply about the thread locker. In addition, as long as you're using new screws, there shouldn't be any problems. In case there was an improper installation, you will receive an error from DJI Fly to refrain you from flying the drone.
2023-2-15
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-15 07:54
Hi, GT2022. Kindly refer to DAFlys' reply about the thread locker. In addition, as long as you're using new screws, there shouldn't be any problems. In case there was an improper installation, you will receive an error from DJI Fly to refrain you from flying the drone.

Indeed Gamora, I have done that and am now completely comfortable with the overall status of propellers and their correct application. Thanks. I've made a suggestion in feedback that the forum might be modified such that when a particular thread topic has been resolved that the thread could be marked as solved by the original poster. As I've said in the feedback survey, such a modification to the forum would be helpful in showing later viewers of a topic how and why the issue was resolved. This is quite usual practice in many other forums.
2023-2-15
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

GT2022 Posted at 2-15 18:03
Indeed Gamora, I have done that and am now completely comfortable with the overall status of propellers and there correct application. Thanks. I've made a suggestion in feedback that the forum might be modified such that when a particular thread topic has been resolved that the thread could be marked as solved by the original poster. As I've said in the feedback survey, such a modification to the forum would be helpful in showing later viewers of a topic how and why the issue was resolved. This is quite usual practice in many other forums.

A good idea!
2023-2-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

GT2022 Posted at 2-15 18:03
Indeed Gamora, I have done that and am now completely comfortable with the overall status of propellers and their correct application. Thanks. I've made a suggestion in feedback that the forum might be modified such that when a particular thread topic has been resolved that the thread could be marked as solved by the original poster. As I've said in the feedback survey, such a modification to the forum would be helpful in showing later viewers of a topic how and why the issue was resolved. This is quite usual practice in many other forums.

Hi, GT2022. Good to hear that you were able to successfully replace the propellers. Thank you for the wonderful suggestion and for submitting a feedback. We appreciate it. Have a safe flight always.
2023-2-18
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-18 07:30
Hi, GT2022. Good to hear that you were able to successfully replace the propellers. Thank you for the wonderful suggestion and for submitting a feedback. We appreciate it. Have a safe flight always.

Thanks Gamora. I have not yet needed to change out the props - the info was just to ensure that when/if that day arrives, I will be in a good position to make the changes.
Regarding my suggestion, perhaps you could explore the following https://www.phpbb.com/
And whilst on the subject of suggestions Gamora, I've sometimes not seen the original posting date/year in some posts that I've thought I'd respond to. I have noticed this too with other people apparently not realising that a topic is quite old when they've first come across it. So, I believe whatever forum software you may consider, one that clearly describes the post date along with my other suggestion of the OP being able to mark the thread as solved would seem to be a good idea.

2023-2-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

GT2022 Posted at 2-18 20:39
Thanks Gamora. I have not yet needed to change out the props - the info was just to ensure that when/if that day arrives, I will be in a good position to make the changes.
Regarding my suggestion, perhaps you could explore the following https://www.phpbb.com/
And whilst on the subject of suggestions Gamora, I've sometimes not seen the original posting date/year in some posts that I've thought I'd respond to. I have noticed this too with other people apparently not realising that a topic is quite old when they've first come across it. So, I believe whatever forum software you may consider, one that clearly describes the post date along with my other suggestion of the OP being able to mark the thread as solved would seem to be a good idea.

Hi, GT2022. I see, thank you for the clarification about the propellers. Regarding your suggestion for the site, I have forwarded it to our relevant team. Thank you so much for your insight!
2023-2-19
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19198005 ft
United States

I did not see it menetioned here or i may have missed it . But DJI also recommends that the props be changed out every 200 flight takes off and landing.  I am not sure if anyone else does this but me. But I have over 400 flights on my mini2 in less than a year with 800 miles on it so I change them every 200 flights just in case of hidden stress cracks that can not be seen by visually inspecting it
2023-2-20
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

Ms Ivy Posted at 2-20 13:54
I did not see it menetioned here or i may have missed it . But DJI also recommends that the props be changed out every 200 flight takes off and landing.  I am not sure if anyone else does this but me. But I have over 400 flights on my mini2 in less than a year with 800 miles on it so I change them every 200 flights just in case of hidden stress cracks that can not be seen by visually inspecting it

That sounds reasonable Ms Ivy (changing props after so many flights). For me, I've not began to scratch the surface yet on flights and photography and I think it will take me a long time to reach your number of flights
2023-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules