Is it even worth it anymore with CA, USA Regulations
598 4 2023-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NewCasualPilot
lvl.1

United States

New pilot looking at the Mini 3 pro, but before I start I wanted to learn the regulations, and other than commercial I am starting to feel its not even worth getting for recreational use because of the limitations.  

So asking the community...   as a California resident, is it really worth spending $1k with all the limitations now imposed on where you can fly a drone

Its getting to the point where you can only fly at locations that are non-state / non-federal controlled with out any people ....

2023-2-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's only going to get worse for recreational flyers as more and more companies use commercial drone delivery services.  Eventually, we'll get pushed into a FAA-recognized Community Based Organization (CBO) fixed site.  Real shame but the lobbyist for the commercial drone delivery companies are extremely well funded and effective. Nobody is lobbying for the recreational flyer.  
2023-2-14
Use props
NewCasualPilot
lvl.1

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-14 14:43
It's only going to get worse for recreational flyers as more and more companies use commercial drone delivery services.  Eventually, we'll get pushed into a FAA-recognized Community Based Organization (CBO) fixed site.  Real shame but the lobbyist for the commercial drone delivery companies are extremely well funded and effective. Nobody is lobbying for the recreational flyer.

Thank you for your candor...  I was initially excited about the mini 3 pro and some of the things I would possibly use it for, but in CA half the beaches are no-fly, all the state / fed lands much of which is where we hike are no-fly; and we have a lot of state/fed land in CA. Local city ordinances across the state have outlawed use in parts or schools (even when not in use)   

I guess I have to decide if I want to spend $1k+ on what could end up a paper weight.  

Does DJI read these.... would love to hear their take on this.
2023-2-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

NewCasualPilot Posted at 2-14 15:52
Thank you for your candor...  I was initially excited about the mini 3 pro and some of the things I would possibly use it for, but in CA half the beaches are no-fly, all the state / fed lands much of which is where we hike are no-fly; and we have a lot of state/fed land in CA. Local city ordinances across the state have outlawed use in parts or schools (even when not in use)   

I guess I have to decide if I want to spend $1k+ on what could end up a paper weight.  

DJI does read all the posts.  However, there hands are tied when it comes to all the various laws and restrictions throughout the world.  

You could always buy a used Mini 3 Pro which will save you some money and enjoy it as often as you can and hopefully things will not get any worse for recreational flyers.  
2023-2-15
Use props
LTLuxman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35984 ft
United States

Only you can determine whether spending $1000 on anything is worth it.  I can't speak to CA and the limitiations on flying there, but how is this any different than most other hobbies such as mountain biking and off-roading, or just having a pet that you want to take with you.  I live near several airports, and even with those restrictions, I'm totally enjoying the $1200 investment I made; fly a drone once for an aerial view, and you should be convinced.
2023-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules