Hydrolysis (sticky plastic) destroying DJI Products?
1535 13 2023-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alloffroad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6339409 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Has anyone else noticed Hydrolysis happening on their DJI Products? I made a video about it , but at the time did not see DJI products affected until today. I'm getting ready for a filming trip and notice that all three of my 3 Osmo Pockets show early signs off my MyPocker 2 more so than my two Pocket ones.

I'm not talking about general wear and tear, but rather a reaction of the "soft" plastic feel parts of the gimbal with the environment. This really is a manufacturing issue using incorrect materials and is plaguing quite a few manufacturers.

https://youtube.com/shorts/pTVibAMLGAY

Is anyone else having the issue?

2023-2-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have seen this happen several times in the past on what I call soft touch type of plastic products.  A friend of mine who is a Chemical Engineer said that it is caused by separation of the materials it is made from.  He said it can also be caused from oils off our hands.  Best course of action he recommended was to wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol after each use.  I've been doing that and no longer see the sticky plastic issue.
2023-2-18
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

That is clearly an issue for me. Makes them very weak eventually, and very disgusting to touch. WIsh they find a solution for this.
2023-2-18
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

they must have made them biodegradable or something.
2023-2-18
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1786919 ft
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-18 03:22
I have seen this happen several times in the past on what I call soft touch type of plastic products.  A friend of mine who is a Chemical Engineer said that it is caused by separation of the materials it is made from.  He said it can also be caused from oils off our hands.  Best course of action he recommended was to wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol after each use.  I've been doing that and no longer see the sticky plastic issue.

I see this on my Pocket 2.  Thanks for the suggestion to use isopropyl.  I applied some, and it seemed to make a difference....
2023-2-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

smbishop Posted at 2-18 14:06
I see this on my Pocket 2.  Thanks for the suggestion to use isopropyl.  I applied some, and it seemed to make a difference....

You're welcome Scott.  Hope you are having a great weekend.
2023-2-19
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
United States

I hate this issue very much, since I've had it on several products.
As far as I know, every soft-touch plastic is affected by hydrolysis and eventually will end being sticky.

I have Osmo Action, Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic Mini, Osmo Pocket and had Pocket 2, and none of them is affected by this issue.
2023-3-7
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
United States

Regarding Isopropyl alcool, I use that to REMOVE the soft-touch layer from sticky affected objects.
2023-3-7
Use props
alloffroad
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-18 03:22
I have seen this happen several times in the past on what I call soft touch type of plastic products.  A friend of mine who is a Chemical Engineer said that it is caused by separation of the materials it is made from.  He said it can also be caused from oils off our hands.  Best course of action he recommended was to wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol after each use.  I've been doing that and no longer see the sticky plastic issue.

Best course of action is to use materials that do not present the issue, for instance, Zoom audio recorders have the same issue but they have a top customer service and replace each product and changed the material for future products.
2023-3-8
Use props
alloffroad
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Mgozer Posted at 3-7 01:47
Regarding Isopropyl alcool, I use that to REMOVE the soft-touch layer from sticky affected objects.

yes possible depending on the product but not what should need to be done, it's the company's fault for using materials not suited for the task.
2023-3-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

alloffroad Posted at 3-8 01:03
Best course of action is to use materials that do not present the issue, for instance, Zoom audio recorders have the same issue but they have a top customer service and replace each product and changed the material for future products.

Can't argue with that great customer service.  
2023-3-8
Use props
alloffroad
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

And by the way, I found a paste of a little water and baking soda works better than Isopropyl alcohol
2023-3-8
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
United States

alloffroad Posted at 3-8 13:25
And by the way, I found a paste of a little water and baking soda works better than Isopropyl alcohol

good to know, thanks
2023-3-9
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

alloffroad Posted at 3-8 13:25

Thanks for the tip, while my Pocket 2 does not (at least yet) show symptoms of this, it is good to know in case that does start to occur.
2023-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules