Anyone fly a 250 racer?
2331 12 2015-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

I'm thinking about getting a FPV 250 racer for practice; specifically, the Walkera 250 Runner.  Just trying to hone my skills.  Good, bad, suggestions?
2015-8-19
Use props
Tim DJI
DJI team

Hong Kong

Fpv racers and DJI products are totally different. 250 drones mostly have no barometer, no gps, obviously no RTH , which makes it a little difficult to fly even you have Phantom experience. But for sure it' a great  fun to fly this little things.  Recommend you to build DIY 250 instead of buying RTF
2015-8-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

If you want to hone your skills for cheap and as fun fpv backup  get an f350 frame with 920kv motors and 20c amps and a kk2 board controller, 6 channel r/t 5.8ghz video link and if something breaks it is cheap to replace arms and such.
2015-8-19
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Tim DJI Posted at 2015-8-20 11:23
Fpv racers and DJI products are totally different. 250 drones mostly have no barometer, no gps, obvi ...

Some of the 250 FPV racers from Storm have GPS and RTH. Fast little guys for sure.

http://www.helipal.com/storm-racing-drone-gps-rtf-naza-v2.html
2015-8-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I have interest in these as well, but only as an observer.
Not interested in crashing into stuff, and I surely would, frequently.

There was a major story in the news very recently about an NFL team owner.
Happily donating $1Million towards starting an American drone racing league.
Which would have televised races. RCGroups also covered it.
Drone Racing Sees Huge Investment from Miami Dolphins Owner Stephen Ross
Drone racing is on the edge of going mainstream. A $1 million investment can set the ball rolling.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2479649
Pretty major step towards giving drones a good light. I think it's great anyway,
and look forward to these broadcasts if they happen and are available for us in Canada to watch and/or participate.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-19
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-8-20 12:35
I have interest in these as well, but only as an observer.
Not interested in crashing into stuff, an ...

It's so funny how the second you label it a "racing drone", people come running with money, and will probably create a dedicated cable channel just for it.  But a gracefully flying P3 taking beautiful sunset photos gets shot outta the sky, or swatted with sweaters from neighbors, or hooked by fisherman.  

I think I'm gonna paint racing strips across my P3 and glue this model engine on top and see what happens ...

Phantom 3 Racer.JPG
2015-8-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Very nice, a Hemi Phantom, with blower. Should stir up some interest... Haha

I can't wait to see the draft for the Quad leagues race schedule. ;-)
Maybe they should all stay independent, with Individual Sponsors.
Battle Bots is partly to blame for this crazy new madness.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-8-20 13:08
It's so funny how the second you label it a "racing drone", people come running with money, and wil ...

Glue it off center so you can have gps while flying it LOL
2015-8-19
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

I'm in the process of building a cheapie kit - eMAX 250. One of the first, nastiest, surprises is that when you let go of the sticks, it doesn't stop!

When building or modifying something like an FPV racer, you *can* install a flight control board (FCB) that has GPS, but generally they do not have it. When you move your racer in a given direction, it tends to keep moving in that direction until you counter that movement. A good breeze can also keep you on your toes.

In some ways, flying the racer is sort of like starting all over again. Auto-leveling is about the only thing mine does - everything else is very much in "manual" mode.

But it is fun. They are so much more responsive than any of my other, bigger, quads.
2015-8-20
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the input, and laugh.  My thinking is to maybe have a little fun with a cheaper risk than the P3 and develop some thumb coordination.  The whole kit I'm considering is $300 and easily repairable.  I realize its not going to fly like the P3 but the P3 doesn't fly like an R22 either.  As mentioned, there seems to be a completely different public mindset with the little racers too.

Now, if I can only figure out a way to use the 250 to fly wingman around my P3 to keep from getting shot down.
2015-8-20
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-20 13:29
Glue it off center so you can have gps while flying it LOL

Yea, and then mount another on the opposite side. Then it will be twice as fast!!

Damn! I gotta have on of these!
2015-8-20
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-8-20 20:10
Thanks for the input, and laugh.  My thinking is to maybe have a little fun with a cheaper risk than ...

getting a 250 class would be the best thing you ever done but be careful it might make you not want to fly the phantom anymore, as the thrill and the sound from these motors is so good is like listening to f1 race cars passing by, once you get the hang of it you will not be able to let it go as the thrill of going thru an obstacle course is something else, I maybe biased because I used to race 1/10th nitro on-road cars in nationals, and the 250 class has a future and cheap to repair when smashed into a tree.

After you master flying a 250 then you would only focus on filming with a phantom even if you have to go thru a needle nose as such coordination would be second nature.  

Go for it if it makes your heart beat faster  
2015-8-20
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-20 23:48
getting a 250 class would be the best thing you ever done but be careful it might make you not want ...

Hard to get my heart rate up...bikinis excluded.
2015-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules