Multiple D-rtk 2 Base stations
2192 9 2023-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WILLZEE
New
Flight distance : 25919 ft

United States

So, I received an additional base station setup from my distributor by accident. They are a hot mess, several messed up orders over the past 2 months.

Anyway, is there a use for having a second base station? Using it as a rover? At the moment Im using a Mavic 3e for creating models/combining with FARO point clouds. Just needing relative accuracy, my mavic2 wasnt efficient-had to use points from the FARO to constrain and scale. It would be nice to use GCPS for checkpoints to ensure my surfaces are accurate. Ive done this before as a drone pilot/processor for surveyor companies before, so I'm familiar with the workflow in general. I was using trimble gps receivers at the time but not anymore(new company).

2023-2-22
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

The D-RTK 2 is a POS as a rover, you must use the RC as your data collection device. I mean if you got one free, then I guess you could make it work for you. But it's junk compared to real survey grade GNSS.
2023-2-22
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

2 DRTK-2 !  two times more fun and more problems

Sell it and buy the receiver I'm reviewing here:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D564%26typeid%3D564 For capturing GCP it's cheap precise and accurate.

Otherwise in the same price range as the DRTK-2 you will find Emlid and Stonex. Very good equipment.
2023-2-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, there. Sorry for the belated reply.
Just a kind reminder that Mavic 3E can only be connected to one D-RTK2, we suggest you use another D-RTK2 according to your own requirements.
Thank you for your understanding.
2023-3-7
Use props
WILLZEE
New
Flight distance : 25919 ft

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-7 01:49
Hi, there. Sorry for the belated reply.
Just a kind reminder that Mavic 3E can only be connected to one D-RTK2, we suggest you use another D-RTK2 according to your own requirements.
Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks all,

Just wanted to see if was worth testing some things out. Already returned the Dtrk, it was sent to my company in mistake.
2023-3-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

WILLZEE Posted at 3-8 11:04
Thanks all,

Just wanted to see if was worth testing some things out. Already returned the Dtrk, it was sent to my company in mistake.

Thanks for your update and support as well.
If there is anything else that we can help with, please feel free to contact us here.
2023-3-8
Use props
POIAerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5100614 ft
Canada

patiam Posted at 2-22 16:47
The D-RTK 2 is a POS as a rover, you must use the RC as your data collection device. I mean if you got one free, then I guess you could make it work for you. But it's junk compared to real survey grade GNSS.

I'm actually going to have to politey disagree with you on the rover mode.  Indeed it doesn't have all the fancy tilting auto correct or such, it's old school with a bubble, but, I've been using it now for about 4yrs with my P4RTK and honestly it's bang on.  I've been using it for detailed survey work that goes into residential and roadway construction.  It's been a great tool, especially for creating GCPs and having it all together as one system.  Walk around, paint my Xs, get my GCPs collected, unlink, link the P4, and off I go.  Pix4D does the rest and I'm always sub 5cm XYZ in error.   My question now is, if I were to upgrade to a M3E, does it still support the "Walk with RTK" mode?  I have yet to get an answer on that one.  Everyone still thinks "I can connect the RTK module, and it's the best data ever"..... not the case, it's a tool, but it's not the ONLY tool....
2023-8-17
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

POIAerial Posted at 8-17 12:19
I'm actually going to have to politey disagree with you on the rover mode.  Indeed it doesn't have all the fancy tilting auto correct or such, it's old school with a bubble, but, I've been using it now for about 4yrs with my P4RTK and honestly it's bang on.  I've been using it for detailed survey work that goes into residential and roadway construction.  It's been a great tool, especially for creating GCPs and having it all together as one system.  Walk around, paint my Xs, get my GCPs collected, unlink, link the P4, and off I go.  Pix4D does the rest and I'm always sub 5cm XYZ in error.   My question now is, if I were to upgrade to a M3E, does it still support the "Walk with RTK" mode?  I have yet to get an answer on that one.  Everyone still thinks "I can connect the RTK module, and it's the best data ever"..... not the case, it's a tool, but it's not the ONLY tool....

Which process brings you the information 5 cm error?  

Because if you do your GCP survey with the DRTK2 and the Geo referencing of drone data also with the DRTK2, then you most certainly have 5cm of error relating to the position of the antenna.  

But be careful, you can end up with a much larger offset.  Especially with photogrammetry software that puts you to sleep with their nice self-generated report.  They give an error relating to the coordinates that have been recorded.  if these coordinates already contain an error, then it must be added.  

And very honestly, do you find it comfortable to have to walk the antenna and the RC of the drone to take GCPs?  It's not very optimized.  

For the moment it is not possible to take GCPs with PIlot2.  Except using a workaround.
2023-8-17
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

POIAerial Posted at 8-17 12:19
I'm actually going to have to politey disagree with you on the rover mode.  Indeed it doesn't have all the fancy tilting auto correct or such, it's old school with a bubble, but, I've been using it now for about 4yrs with my P4RTK and honestly it's bang on.  I've been using it for detailed survey work that goes into residential and roadway construction.  It's been a great tool, especially for creating GCPs and having it all together as one system.  Walk around, paint my Xs, get my GCPs collected, unlink, link the P4, and off I go.  Pix4D does the rest and I'm always sub 5cm XYZ in error.   My question now is, if I were to upgrade to a M3E, does it still support the "Walk with RTK" mode?  I have yet to get an answer on that one.  Everyone still thinks "I can connect the RTK module, and it's the best data ever"..... not the case, it's a tool, but it's not the ONLY tool....

I've been doing GNSS survey work for nearly 30 years, with a wide variety of "survey grade" RTK equipment (Trimble, Leica, Emlid, Eos, etc.). The D-RTK 2 would be my very last option as a rover. I'm not speaking to whether it has an IMU in it for leveling. That's icing on the cake, which in the D-RTK 2's case is totally half-baked. In pretty much every way, from the GUI to the awkwardness of using the RC as a data collector, to the actual performance, it is the bottom of the barrel.

Yeah, it works. If it is all you've got, it's better than nothing. But just about any RTK GNSS rover out there is way better.
2023-8-19
Use props
POIAerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5100614 ft
Canada

patiam Posted at 8-19 07:45
I've been doing GNSS survey work for nearly 30 years, with a wide variety of "survey grade" RTK equipment (Trimble, Leica, Emlid, Eos, etc.). The D-RTK 2 would be my very last option as a rover. I'm not speaking to whether it has an IMU in it for leveling. That's icing on the cake, which in the D-RTK 2's case is totally half-baked. In pretty much every way, from the GUI to the awkwardness of using the RC as a data collector, to the actual performance, it is the bottom of the barrel.

Yeah, it works. If it is all you've got, it's better than nothing. But just about any RTK GNSS rover out there is way better.

I certainly have to agree with you there.  There are a wide range of other options out there that probably are much better than the DRTK but when I got the P4 RTK I got the "kit" which came with the system etc. so I put it to use.  I certainly have my own gripes about the system, but when connected to my NTRIP account and using proper benchmarks and reference stations to correct my data (there's a lot more to it than just the simple description I provided earlier), but, once the corrections are completed not unlike using any other system, indeed the values are snap on with the reference stations.  The odd day the signal isn't the best so there's some adjustments to be made, but, again, once the corrections are done everything lines up well.  I also use GCPs placed by one of my clients and correct to their system, bang on again, so it does depend on methodology and following the process but in general the system has worked well for me so far.  I read some of the other posts and I do like the "Stonex" systems.   But without the likeliness of a buyer for the DRTK, I'm probably gonna stick with it until it dies or DJI simply no longer supports it which is likely to be soon, they've already pretty much dropped it, heck they didn't even follow through with creating an app for the phone mount they made for the unit from the very beginning which totally cheesed me off because YES you have to walk around with the damn RC slung around your neck.  I have a DJI harness so it makes carrying it a bit easier, but yeah, if there is one gripe I continue to pound DJI about, it's that damn phone cradle and app.  They could even just create a "WALK WITH RTK APP" and leave it simple, but NOOOO, let's just let them walk around with the RC.  Not helpful.

Does anyone know off hand if the M3E has "Walk with RTK" mode like the P4RTK?  I have yet to get that question answered....
2023-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules