This is what happens when you adjust your lens....
956 11 2023-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_i3zt0NMy2j4m
lvl.2

India

As i have seen many videos and i also adjusted the lens to get focus. I got very good result as you can see in following focus chart that text are readable now. But on the other hand when i went for outdoor i felt that somthing is not right and my far away objects are not more focus which you can see in another photo. So i have decided come back to original lens position. If you adjust the focus then either you have to loose near focus or far focus.... you can not get both at same time. This is my conculsion. I can not send OA3 camera for repair as it is costing me 30% to 40% of camera cost....

Adjusted lens to get near focus.
https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=505338624913

This is what happens when you adjust the lens for near focus. Your far objects get out of focus.
https://www.linkpicture.com/q/Before_After.jpg

2023-2-24
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It looks like you might have the focus just a touch too close so have lost not only infinity but mid distance too.  It’s quite a balancing act I guess. So technically, the lens is not actually  out of focus but focused on a different distance. This twisting of the lens is a bit 'crude' without gear to properly assess focus and doing it by eye at 1080 on a screen might be 'hit or miss'. It also depends on the quality of your monitor I would imagine.

I might twist my lens but perhaps it might be useful to focus on distance and tweak just to the point where distance starts to soften and then go back slightly. Then test closer focus to see whether it’s enough for your purposes. Then at least you are using a more acceptable depth of field.

I think focusing on something 30 or so cm away might well lose the distance (in your case, mid distance), which suggests that it is twisted a bit too far. Some mentioned  5 degrees anti clockwise where others went for 30 degrees! I’m guessing that it depends on your priorities.

Vloggers want good close, motor bike types and skiers want distance. The depth of field doesn’t suit everyone’s’ purposes.

Someone on here mentioned GoPro being out of focus on distance so closer focus is better. I took a close look at mine after I read it, and I think it is set just on that borderline of softness in distance. But most of what I take is closer and mid so it doesn't affect me.

To be honest, I think the GoPro is better for vlog type things and the Action 3 is a pure Action cam for distance. Just the design, but not really how it was described on release with the close focus quoted and front facing screen, which suggested it was possibly better than a GoPro for vlogging. It's just not.

So when people complaint to Osmo about focus and Osmo says it's fine, it is probably ok, just focused very much on infinity sacrificing just a small amount of close which isn't great for selfie stuff.

I know a guy who had another action cam, and he loosened his lens so much that he adjusted it for distance and close 'on the fly' when shooting. He put little spot markers on the camera and so got the best of both worlds. He could even do macro with it. That was the old Yi 4k camera which was excellent.

2023-2-24
Use props
djiuser_i3zt0NMy2j4m
lvl.2

India

Iancraig10 Posted at 2-24 01:11
It looks like you might have the focus just a touch too close so have lost not only infinity but mid distance too.  It’s quite a balancing act I guess. So technically, the lens is not actually  out of focus but focused on a different distance. This twisting of the lens is a bit 'crude' without gear to properly assess focus and doing it by eye at 1080 on a screen might be 'hit or miss'. It also depends on the quality of your monitor I would imagine.

I might twist my lens but perhaps it might be useful to focus on distance and tweak just to the point where distance starts to soften and then go back slightly. Then test closer focus to see whether it’s enough for your purposes. Then at least you are using a more acceptable depth of field.

Yes it is everyone personal choice. That is why i have gone back to default lens position rather than adjusted focus for closeup. I hope DJI take this issue seriously on next release. Nobody wants to adjust their lens as per situation
2023-2-24
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 2-24 01:11
It looks like you might have the focus just a touch too close so have lost not only infinity but mid distance too.  It’s quite a balancing act I guess. So technically, the lens is not actually  out of focus but focused on a different distance. This twisting of the lens is a bit 'crude' without gear to properly assess focus and doing it by eye at 1080 on a screen might be 'hit or miss'. It also depends on the quality of your monitor I would imagine.

I might twist my lens but perhaps it might be useful to focus on distance and tweak just to the point where distance starts to soften and then go back slightly. Then test closer focus to see whether it’s enough for your purposes. Then at least you are using a more acceptable depth of field.

Last summer I used my gopro 10 with media mod and was making a video walking around, had a lot of start and stop since I was no point of recording everything + save battery.

Well what happend was that my gopro reset itself (as always) so I had to take it off the selfiestick, take of media mod, take out battery and mount all back on again and setup time and date as it was reset completly.
And all that in rain!!!

After that I felt that I doesn't want to use gopro anymore.  So not sure how good it is for vlogging
2023-2-24
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 2-24 01:54
Last summer I used my gopro 10 with media mod and was making a video walking around, had a lot of start and stop since I was no point of recording everything + save battery.

Well what happend was that my gopro reset itself (as always) so I had to take it off the selfiestick, take of media mod, take out battery and mount all back on again and setup time and date as it was reset completly.

My 11 hasn’t locked yet! I have everything crossed though. I think there have been improvements. The worst one for me was the 9. However, now, with its most recent firmware, it's really stable for some reason.

I don't like the media mod. In particular, the record button. It's 'sharp' and pushes into the camera button. IMO, they should have made the contact flat. Also, the onboard mic sounds awful. I use that daft little audio brick in a Ulanzi case. More accessible for battery pulls and the sound is excellent.

For vlogging, I much prefer the GoPro sharpness. The Action 3 just doesn't look as sharp on close shots but I prefer the A3 colour profile. Particularly on skin tone.

2023-2-24
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

gopro fisheye lens complaints on Sunstreak, due to some batches with a bad lens
2023-2-24
Use props
Robox
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343727 ft
Russia

The mistake of everyone who adjusts is that you need to adjust the focus not from 30 cm, but from 45-50 cm.
Try it and the background will be better.
2023-2-24
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Robox Posted at 2-24 11:20
The mistake of everyone who adjusts is that you need to adjust the focus not from 30 cm, but from 45-50 cm.
Try it and the background will be better.

That’s because of the figure that Osmo put out in the first place and the reason why I bought the Action. I thought the close focus would have been really useful but as it turns out ……
2023-2-24
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 2-24 02:09
My 11 hasn’t locked yet! I have everything crossed though. I think there have been improvements. The worst one for me was the 9. However, now, with its most recent firmware, it's really stable for some reason.

I don't like the media mod. In particular, the record button. It's 'sharp' and pushes into the camera button. IMO, they should have made the contact flat. Also, the onboard mic sounds awful. I use that daft little audio brick in a Ulanzi case. More accessible for battery pulls and the sound is excellent.

Btw I didn't ment to talk too negative about gopro, just wrote my experience with the last I had

I really hope they have fixed the 11, else it would be sad.
2023-2-24
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 2-24 12:53
Btw I didn't ment to talk too negative about gopro, just wrote my experience with the last I had

I really hope they have fixed the 11, else it would be sad.

I’ve no problem with criticisms of GoPro or A3 at all. I dumped GoPro after the 9!
2023-2-24
Use props
Robox
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343727 ft
Russia

Iancraig10 Posted at 2-24 11:26
That’s because of the figure that Osmo put out in the first place and the reason why I bought the Action. I thought the close focus would have been really useful but as it turns out ……

Even on the first version of Osmo, the focus was not from 30 cm, but more. You should not look at the characteristics that say from 30 cm ... I set it up from 43 cm.
2023-2-24
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Robox Posted at 2-24 13:17
Even on the first version of Osmo, the focus was not from 30 cm, but more. You should not look at the characteristics that say from 30 cm ... I set it up from 43 cm.

I looked at the specs quoted by Osmo.
Had they quoted 4k 60fps, and it was missing, more notice would have been taken. The problem with focus is that it's a question with these fixed focus cameras of how much you can tolerate on the closer focus so more subjective.
2023-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules