P3 Alt
1096 15 2015-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alien tech
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84902 ft
Bulgaria

I expect this is not the first time, this has been mentioned    The P 3   and this stupid 500 meter max alt setting, There are lots  of areas ( where I am is one) that going above 500meters  is very usefull and enables you to get to the top of those mountains, Ok its not the Hymalyers, but we have faces reaching up from 800, to 6500ft . some of those 1800, 2500ft ones would be nice to get to, but NO, 1640ft max. I have read there are ways around it,  I yet to find out how to do this, if true, but have watch one guy on Youtube, who claims, if you take you P3 upt to max 500 meters, hit the fly home button, and after this, go into settings, you can then adjust/ take it way above this, to 1000 meters if you want, somehow it dissarms the 500mtr limit. You then go back and turn off the come home button, and while that flight is runing you have your new max alt. Not sure if its complete BS, but has anyone out there attmpted this, does it work ? or is there another way around it, many say there is, but yet to give instructions!!  Well not to me anyway...
2015-8-20
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The RTH method was fixed in the latest firmware

I see the point you make but nothing stops you climbing up the mountain then flying..

The 500m is very acceptable and also gives the powers that be the impression that DJI are proactively trying to stop idiots flying too high.. Last thing wen need is crazy regulation saying you cannot go over 50 feet.

Also remember that most countries with regulation seems to limit quads to 400 feet.. Not sure Bulgaria has adopted regulations yet but they sure will eventually. So with this in mind, the 500 meter limit is quite generous.
2015-8-20
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-20 16:51

I see the point you make but nothing stops you c ...

Ok, maybe someone won't update firmware then! Not compulsory is it. not like the inspire it grounds you if you don't ( bad move on DJI's part)  Whose machines are they anyway, not on HP. Regards idiots and being stupid with them. Your never going to stop idiots, many drive cars too, fly drones, even drive boats, its the human condition, sad to say.  how many us humans walk in front of trucks or cars every year and become bonnet ornaments ?   All the checks in the world and those to be made, will never stop accidents and never ever stop idiots. There is an old saying that goes;  treat people like fools, and guess what, they will start to act like fools.  fools, idiots, and mistakes  will always happen always have, always will. setting 500 or 400, or even 50 meters will not do very much to deter the zombie on a role. They will just fly it into a car.  cos that's what idiots do! So for me Its a flawed logic, but there are political hidden agenda's  afoot here I believe,  more safety = less freedom and that's how it's sold to us all,  as normal. I for one don't buy the idiot argument.  We must teach everyone to be responsible and learn to think, and use our intelligence, use ones heads, not just chain people down, its a BAD idea...  What's next an NVQ to use a knife and fork ?  I expect thats on its way.
Reminds me of the personwho fell onto a railway line, and everyone stood and just looked, till some guyjumped down to help the person.  When they were asked why they stoodthere, they said they were not trained to do such things.  How sad ashumanity become I ask...  Its these types of restrictions, across theboard which facilitate such behavioral stupidity.. My 2 cents worth.

2015-8-20
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree but we users are small cogs in a bigger wheel. I very much doubt DJI will remove the 500 limit. I also think in time all manufacturers will be required to do something similar. In the UK the CAA ( Civil Aviation Authority ) limit us to 400 feet ( and to line of sight ). They don't regulate us as hard as the FAA does in America though but the popularity of these things is bound to create more regulation.

I love your idiots analogy ( keep them low and they will just crash into cars )

I would love to fly at 1000 meters ( the pictures would be amazing ).

Good luck with the flying post some video/images of the mountains if you go fly there. Would love to see them..
2015-8-20
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-20 17:36
I agree but we users are small cogs in a bigger wheel. I very much doubt DJI will remove the 500 lim ...

Ok thanks for the input. As they say fly safe,
Your idea of climbing up the mountain, too old and not a mountain climber. so that idea is out the window, for me anyway!!
2015-8-20
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-20 17:36
I agree but we users are small cogs in a bigger wheel. I very much doubt DJI will remove the 500 lim ...

A final thought;
If they take such a reductionist approach, where does it end up ( logically )  you have GPS,  an alt of 10 meters ( say) and distance of 50 meters,  so one would ask, why have all this nice maps, tech,GPS, and alike, your back to a a 50$ drone to buzz around your yard,  and even then the zombies will fly into the window or chase the cat or dog around with it?  SO, we end up  with a 50$ drone with a 300$ camera on the front,  WOW!  But why both then, get your ladders out, stick up against the house, and take some nice still pictures with your 2000$ cannon far better camera than the 10 -80 of a phantom 3.  But the idiot will still drop the camera and fall off the ladder. And so it goes on and on..
2015-8-20
Use props
bigbenny98
lvl.1

United States

RTH still allows for climbing above 500m on newest FW, at least for me?
2015-8-20
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

bigbenny98 Posted at 2015-8-20 22:33
RTH still allows for climbing above 500m on newest FW, at least for me?

What, and hows that happened or works should I say ?    YOU can, you can't,  which is it ??????????  any else can do it ?
2015-8-20
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

I tested this the other day. I hit RTH.. then I had my P3P climb to 500 feet. I could have gone farther but I was only testing and brought it right back below 400.

I had seen a video on YouTube where the guy did it. I wanted to see if it was true.

P3P
ipad mini 3
DJI Go and FW all the latest.
2015-8-20
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-8-21 00:20
I tested this the other day. I hit RTH.. then I had my P3P climb to 500 feet. I could have gone fart ...

Sorry do you mean Meters not feet,  was it slip of the keyboard  ?
2015-8-20
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.2

Netherlands

You could try on the ground or your garage to programmed the RTH altitude above 500 meters? if the software alow you to do so then the bird wil go to the altitude you programmed when you hit the RTH button
I have try to do the trick with these guy on you tube but almost had  fly away du to high winds on these altitudes, the guy says you have to go to ATTI mode so no sattelites, this was verry tricki becouse it went away at high speed from me, so for me this dit not work, but as a say if you can programme the software to go higer then 500 meters in RTH mode it could perhaps be possible?
2015-8-20
Use props
bigbenny98
lvl.1

United States

Alien tech Posted at 2015-8-20 22:56
What, and hows that happened or works should I say ?    YOU can, you can't,  which is it ???????? ...

One can climb above 500m or 1640ft by first climbing to that max altitude, then hitting the RTH button. Once in RTH mode, you can climb higher. At least for me, FW 1.3 and Android DJI GO 2.0.2
2015-8-20
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

i think what was fixed was going to 500m altitude and then putting it in atti mode and climb higher. i believe that was fixed in last fw. the rth method i believe is still the trick. havent done it
2015-8-20
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-21 09:47
i think what was fixed was going to 500m altitude and then putting it in atti mode and climb highe ...

It not something I would use that often to be honest, but there are times, you/I find yourself in,  that place where, your thinking, if only I could get that extra 5 or 600ft or something, its more knowing you could if needed or wanted rather than, I am just going to do it for the hell of it, type thing.  
2015-8-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Alien tech Posted at 2015-8-21 22:09
It not something I would use that often to be honest, but there are times, you/I find yourself in, ...

oh i can imagine, for example if u r in a narrow valley and the height of the peaks r more than 500m! i doubt planes would be flying in that type of terrain, now helicopters would be a different story though!!
2015-8-21
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

Alien tech Posted at 2015-8-21 00:27
Sorry do you mean Meters not feet,  was it slip of the keyboard  ?

In the USA 120m/400feet is the max allowed.
2015-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules