capturing northern lights from dji mini 3 pro ?
6269 12 2023-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DukeofDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12885007 ft
United States

Hi everyone.

I am located in south of UK.

I was thinking of capturing northern lights (tonight)

I dont know if its a viable proposition. has anyo0ne attempted it ?

what settings will be best ?

Hyperlapse ?

Northern lights: Aurora seen across UK in spectacular display - BBC News
2023-2-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would use the AEB setting if you are going to photograph it,  you'll get some under and over exposed shots that can then be blended.  If its like blue hour then you'll probably want to under expose a little.  Also make sure that you dont have your screen on full brightness,  at night this will give you a false sense of exposure.

Heres some examples of bue hour taken with AEB and under exposed -0.3 or -0.7.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=285850
2023-2-27
Use props
Axelz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3427999 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you do decide to fly be extra wary as the aurora may intefere with the drone including with the GPS... I'd say not the best idea to.
2023-2-27
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

If you do decide to fly be extra wary as the aurora may intefere with the drone including with the GPS... I'd say not the best idea to.

That is a myth. Solar activity has to be incredibly strong to be a threat to drones and/or GNSS signals, we rarely have such powerful solar flares here.  
Last time we had an X-class flare was in Oct 2003, I think, when this photo was taken (but not with a drone).

2023-2-27
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

A drone is not the best camera for capturing the northen lights.
To get good photos of the auroras it is best to stay on the ground, and point the camera upwards to the sky, preferably with a wider angle lens than most drones have.
Shoot in RAW mode, at widest aperture. It is important to use as short shutter speed as possible, to "freeze" the movement in the auroras.

2023-2-27
Use props
cycloholic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1514948 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I second that. Drone(at least mini 3 pro isn't good for that purpose) Shot yesterday something like 200 pictures with every setting available. Then shoot 5 in auto moto with a6000 and voila the day and the night!
2023-2-27
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

cycloholic Posted at 2-27 12:04
I second that. Drone(at least mini 3 pro isn't good for that purpose) Shot yesterday something like 200 pictures with every setting available. Then shoot 5 in auto moto with a6000 and voila the day and the night!

Now all you have to do is mount your A6000 on a gimbal. Not sure if it's more expensive than a mini 3 pro.
2023-2-27
Use props
cycloholic
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

It’s not
2023-2-28
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ArcticPhoto Posted at 2-27 11:18

That is a myth. Solar activity has to be incredibly strong to be a threat to drones and/or GNSS signals, we rarely have such powerful solar flares here.  

I recognise those mountains, Ersfjordbotn in the Tromsø Municipality, Norway.

2023-2-28
Use props
PegLeg02
New
Flight distance : 528 ft

Canada

Third that beautiful hello from Northern Ontario Canada
2023-3-5
Use props
fans040de978
lvl.2
Flight distance : 250217 ft
United States

I have been able to see the green of the northern lights from here in MN.  I could not see them with my eyes but doing the longest exposure with the drone I was able to see a faint glow.  I am in the city and it was too late to drive out somewhere dark by the time they were in our are.  Next time we are up north and they happen I am going to try again from the drone and see.  It really depends on how windy it is and whether or not it can hold still while taking the picture.
2023-3-11
Use props
cycloholic
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

One of my tries, not good at all.
2023-3-12
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

cycloholic Posted at 3-12 11:01
One of my tries, not good at all.
[view_image]

If that was taken with a drone, it isn't bad at all. A bit of editing would make it stand out. Was that in auto mode?

When I've shot northern lights with a dSLR on a tripod, I used 4 second exposure at iso 800 or 1600, depending on their brightness.
2023-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules