How to avoid the C1 certification for a brand new Mavic 3?
2196 13 2023-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KarolyPilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2898478 ft
Germany

Hi there,

I´m about to purchase a brand new Mavic 3, however I want to avoid the C1 certification and wish to update the drone with the latest update before the "C1 firmware update v01.00.0900". I have the European A2 license and do not wish to use "Remote ID" especially not in Germany. The country has got a serious problem with informers. I have no problems with talking to the local police drone pilot and he always wishes me good flight :-) :-), however I don´t wish to share my location with every "average-joe".

My question is, does somebody know whether it´s possible to purchase the Mavic 3 and to update it solely with the Firmware Update V01.00.800? Also if the firmware "V01.00.0900" has been installed ot the drone, can you reset the drone to a previous firmware version? In this post I´m simply looking for answers to my questions and am not looking for any lesson. In case somebody can help me I appeciate your answer.

Kind regards,
Károly
2023-3-5
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Hi,
By following the link below you will find a lot of information, like this one:

3. What happens if I do not want to get a C1 label for the Mavic 3? How does this affect me?
You are allowed to fly without a C1 certificate and C1 label until the end of 2023. However, until then, you can only fly in the Open A2 category and you will have to have an A2 “Remote Piloting License”. From 1 January 2024, you would only be allowed to fly in the A3 Open Category.

Although what follow is not a lesson but it's more of a recommendation, if you value your privacy so much, don't use a DJI drone. And insofar as the geolocation of the source of any radio signal can be done, just don't use a drone.
2023-3-5
Use props
KarolyPilot
lvl.2
Germany

LV_Forestry Posted at 3-5 11:07
Hi,
By following the link below you will find a lot of information, like this one:

Thank you for the reply LV_Forestry! Although it does not answer any of my two questions I appreciate your effort.

Kind regards from Germany,
Károly
2023-3-5
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

KarolyPilot Posted at 3-5 11:20
Thank you for the reply LV_Forestry! Although it does not answer any of my two questions I appreciate your effort.

Kind regards from Germany,

I doubt you had time to read everything, there are some interesting things related to your questions.

Here's another one:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... id%3D772&page=1
2023-3-5
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

You can also see this one:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-286135-1-1.html

It seems that whatever the firmware, the DJI drones broadcast the position and it could be more or less accessible to everybody. I did not try.
2023-3-5
Use props
KarolyPilot
lvl.2
Germany

LV_Forestry Posted at 3-5 11:33
You can also see this one:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-286135-1-1.html

Hallo LV_Forestry,

I honestly thank you for your effort. The thing is that I know exactly what I'm doing but at this point I need technical advice.

You're absolutely right that the drone emits flight parameters. That's why as a company or government authority (airport, sport-stadium) you may want to use the service of "DJI AeroScope". I'm already in contact with the local authorities in Frankfurt am Main/Germany for my flights and we get along just fine. However, with the C1 certification for the Mavic 3 et Co. (as from firmware Version 01.00.900) the drone starts to emit all the data to literally everybody with a smartphone (Bluetooth & Wifi). Given that I cherish a healthy mistrust towards my fellow human beings (and I advise this to everybody) I will not comply with this regulation. Of course for my professional clients I will use a certified drone because flight times are short but privately? That's a big nope.  

Anyway, I wish you a good start into the week tomorrow and a good evening from Germany!

Kind regards,
Károly
2023-3-5
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

KarolyPilot Posted at 3-5 12:58
Hallo LV_Forestry,

I honestly thank you for your effort. The thing is that I know exactly what I'm doing but at this point I need technical advice.

I confess that I am a little disconcerted by the questions raised by this emission of flight data.  It is surely a question of regional culture.  Here I do not see who will waste time spotting drones with their smartphone, apart from the municipal police, which is part of their remit now.  
But the worst, who would want to make dishonest use of it?  At worst if you want to beat up the operator to steal the drone, you just have to look where it lands.  
Because if your smartphone picks up the signal, it means that you find it at a very short distance.  When I read the threads of our American friends who on their territory have people who preserve their airspace with shotgun, I tell myself that it makes sense to be concern by privacy. But in Europe ... ?
Especially in your country. The image I have of Germany is very safe place with educated people.  I stayed there for a while in the 90s, Maybe that has changed and obviously it has.

Have a good week too.
2023-3-5
Use props
Danveal
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Hi,
The mavic 3 transmits the EASA remote ID from the launch firmware v01.00.0300.
If the user does not enter the UAS Operator Registration Number, the Mavic 3 will still transmit telemetry data including the serial number. For more information watch this video, turn on subtitles with automatic translation

2023-3-5
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Danveal Posted at 3-5 15:09
Hi,
If the user does not enter the UAS Operator Registration Number, the Mavic 3 will still transmit telemetry data including the serial number. For more information watch this video, turn on subtitles with automatic translation

Very informative video, thanks for sharing.
2023-3-5
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3843146 ft
United States

Specifically to your question: If the C1 certificate firmware has been installed on the drone, you cannot downgrade the firmware in any software way. I have no idea if it can be done by desoldering a chip, reprogramming a programmer and resoldering (similar to some computer BIOS methods).
It is good to know that previous firmware versions also broadcast your drone model and your location (I had a case with a 10 year old with a smartphone with one of the first firmware versions).
2023-3-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, KarolyPilot. Thanks for reaching out. We understand your concerns. Please be informed that we cannot guarantee the firmware version of the DJI Mavic 3 that you will be purchasing. The firmware can only be checked when the drone is connected to the DJI Fly app. And regarding downgrading the firmware to a previous version, we regret to inform you that it is not possible as mentioned in the comment above. Based on actual conditions, the previous firmware versions will be removed from the server. The firmware cannot be downgraded to a removed version. We apologize for the inconvenience. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day.
2023-3-7
Use props
KarolyPilot
lvl.2
Germany

Danveal Posted at 3-5 15:09
Hi,
If the user does not enter the UAS Operator Registration Number, the Mavic 3 will still transmit telemetry data including the serial number. For more information watch this video, turn on subtitles with automatic translation

Hi Danveal,

That was a VERY informative video and I'm blown away. Thank you for sharing with me/us this video! This means privately I'll stick to my Mavic 2 Pro and only professionally I'll use the Mavic 3.

Kind regards,
Károly
2023-3-25
Use props
KarolyPilot
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 3-7 20:18
Hi, KarolyPilot. Thanks for reaching out. We understand your concerns. Please be informed that we cannot guarantee the firmware version of the DJI Mavic 3 that you will be purchasing. The firmware can only be checked when the drone is connected to the DJI Fly app. And regarding downgrading the firmware to a previous version, we regret to inform you that it is not possible as mentioned in the comment above. Based on actual conditions, the previous firmware versions will be removed from the server. The firmware cannot be downgraded to a removed version. We apologize for the inconvenience. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day.

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your feedback! I´ve talked to one of your DJI colleagues in private yesterday and there are solutions but they are not public and I will not publish them here. Anyway the video what Danveal posted was very informative that the Mavic 3 started to broadcast "Remote ID" even BEFORE the official C1 certification was made public/official. With this information I'll stick privately to my Mavic 2 Pro maybe I upgrade later on to the Autel Evo II Pro and only professionally I'll use my Mavic 3 if clients demand the highest quality possible (and are ready to pay for it)

Wish you a very enjoyable weekend from Frankfurt am Main!
Károly
2023-3-25
Use props
KarolyPilot
lvl.2
Germany

KokoFresha Posted at 3-6 01:22
Specifically to your question: If the C1 certificate firmware has been installed on the drone, you cannot downgrade the firmware in any software way. I have no idea if it can be done by desoldering a chip, reprogramming a programmer and resoldering (similar to some computer BIOS methods).
It is good to know that previous firmware versions also broadcast your drone model and your location (I had a case with a 10 year old with a smartphone with one of the first firmware versions).

Hallo KokoFresha,

I appreciate very much your answer and thank you for taking the time answering me! After watching the video that Danveal posted I'm anyway blown away and I'll touch the Mavic 3 only professionally.

I´m very thankful that you and the others helped me to make a well-considered decision!

Wish you a great weekend from Frankfurt am Main!
Károly
2023-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules