Dji mic + dji Action 3 together in the rain
4064 8 2023-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andy42
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Use case:

Using the dji mic receiver plugged into the dji action 3 on the handlebars of a bicycle.  Suppose it starts to rain, possibly heavily.  Is there a risk of water damage to either or both devices ?  If so, how can I protect against this noting that the mic is plugged into the usb slot and to do that the door is off ?

Its not underwater but it can be pretty wet in the UK rain.

Thanks

2023-3-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

try placing tape near the  the lens area with a plastic bag, and you will be protected wrapping plastic  over the door
2023-3-7
Use props
andy42
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Exactly which parts are vulnerable to water damage ?  Im guessing that its the mic receiver and everything inside the port door and that the rest is fine. Is this correct ? The sales blurb says the camera itself is waterproof to so manty metres. Difficult to believe.  Since its a common use case for cyclists (there are many vids of motobikists doing this on YT and they seem to do nothing) i’m surprised there isnt a product that does it - a waterproof case that has space for the mic. Is the lens safe from water damage ?

Actually its not just if it starts raining - I want to capture sme videos in the rain. Im not worried about the tx as I can protect that with clothing.

andy
2023-3-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

if you open the lens protector, port door and battery that is where water will enter.  the Mic, speaker are protected by a mebraine and the  color sensor under the lens is as well  with  glue.

you want to protect against water with a DJI wireless mic   that you will   have to  protect as well. good luck
2023-3-7
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

If you can protect the transmitter, use it standalone and sync the audio up later in your editor. That way you can keep the OA3 door closed and no risk.
Nice to have an external mic attachment on the OA3 but no thought went into weather sealing anything connected, not even their own mic.
2023-3-7
Use props
andy42
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Deleted this, i replied in the wrong place
2023-3-7
Use props
andy42
lvl.2
United Kingdom

m326 Posted at 3-7 13:41
If you can protect the transmitter, use it standalone and sync the audio up later in your editor. That way you can keep the OA3 door closed and no risk.
Nice to have an external mic attachment on the OA3 but no thought went into weather sealing anything connected, not even their own mic.

Agree -andy
2023-3-7
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

Do not use it then. As a guy, fishing, filming, in water, risk of getting real soaked. Im taking the risk. using Ulanzi Arimic 1.5M/6M Clip-on Lavalier Lapel Microphone Condenser and Apple usb c jack. But when it's a wet day, i use App in phone, lav mic, then in post, i synk it.
You can't get any action cam, there i perfekt for wet action, as biking or fishing, so on, without a ? how to, wind, water.
Garmin Virb x-ex had it, perfekt. just only 1080p so, from there, now, oa3 is the next bets cam, but, not realy. lol.
Virb had kable for mic and aux, power, mountet outside cam. What more did we need ? lol

2023-3-8
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

like the idea to wrap the DJI mic up, Maybe DJI now  can take that  suggestion

1 DJI Osmo Action 3 case for  the camera and DJI Mic rx make a waterproofcase
2 DJI Mic waterproof case

and have a hot seller

I   would wrap it in plastic the mic and just use it as I do not own it but  they have separate audio recording and a clap at the start to synch vid & aud
2023-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules