Mavic 3 went lunatic after switching flight mode and crashed
1745 26 2023-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sjaako
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136322 ft

Netherlands

I always wanted to have an DJI drone but never did have the money.
Finaly my savings allowed me to buy a Mavic 3 and i have flew it 8 times without any problems.

But last Thursday it went complete lunatic after switching to sport mode.
As soon as i switched mode it went out of control and flew like a crazy in sudden moves al over the place and crashed.
This should never happen with a flagship drone in this price range, can someone investigate my flight log to help me in checking this
was absolutely not my fault?
Will DJI replace my drone?
2023-3-8
Use props
Sjaako
lvl.1

Netherlands

Why is my background color green?
Never mind, i fixed it.
2023-3-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Sjaako. Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry to read about the unfortunate accident that happened to your drone. We recommend you submit an Online Repair Application or directly contact our Customer Support at (support.dji.com) for further assistance. Our designated team will perform a Data Analysis to determine the cause of the crash. Please note that warranty service will be applied depending on the analysis result and the warranty status of the drone. We assure you that your concern will be handled accordingly. Should you have further inquiries, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day.
2023-3-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Id be tempted to delete that log as it shows you went to quadruple the legal altitude. Probably best just to open a case.  
2023-3-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

it went complete lunatic after switching to sport mode.
As soon as i switched mode it went out of control and flew like a crazy in sudden moves al over the place and crashed.

Switching to Sport Mode doesn't normally cause drones to malfunction or do crazy things.
I'm looking at your flight data and wondering what actually happened.

At 13:45.7 you switched to Sport Mode
At 13:45.9 you pushed the right stick full forward for one second and the drone tilted forward to the max tilt angle and accelerated to 4.5 metres/sec from nearly stopped.

At 13:47.3 you pulled the right stick full down to reverse the drone and it tilted backward to the maximum tilt angle and started slowing.
You also gave a little negative rudder and the drone's heading changed to match.
At 13:47.9 the drone crashed at 3 m/s.

From switching to Sport Mode to crashing took just over two seconds.
In that time you fushed the right stick full forward and then full back.
The drone tilted forward and then backwards to the normal Sport Mode tilt angles.
It appears that the drone followed your joystick inputs.
I can't see anything to suggest it went "lunatic".
Given the short time and relatively slow speed before the crash, the drone must have been quite close to where it crashed when you switched to Sport Mode.

Flying close to obstacles is always risky.
Flying close to obstacles in Sport Mode is very, very risky.
Using full stick in Sport Mode when there are obstacles closeby, is just asking for trouble.

DJI warn of this on page 14 of the manual.
The Forward, Backward, Lateral, and Upward Vision Systems are disabled in Sport mode, which means the aircraft cannot sense obstacles on its route automatically.
The maximum speed and braking distance of the aircraft significantly increase in Sport mode.
A minimum braking distance of 30 m is required in windless condition

This should never happen with a flagship drone in this price range, can someone investigate my flight log to help me in checking this was absolutely not my fault?
In this case I think it probably was.

2023-3-8
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

You being new to sport mode, it can be difficult to fly, especially when close to objects. It is slow to brake and seems unresponsive.That is something you want to practice high in the sky away from anything that you could run into. Sorry for your mishap.
2023-3-8
Use props
Sjaako
lvl.1

Netherlands

Thank u for checking the log, that is why i wanted to dubbel check by people who understand how to read those things and have more experience with DJI drones.
For me it really looked like the drone got lunatic and out of control as soon as i switched to sport mode.
I wanted to make a picture of my kids inside just before i would land the drone in my backyard.
As soon as i switched to sport mode it shot out of its position and crashed against my wall, but not in a straight line.
It look liked how a wasp is flying, it slingered very fast from left to right and up to down.
I could not control it anymore with the sticks.

I knew in sport mode it shuts down the sensors for obsticle detection, that is the reason why i put it in sport so i could take a picture closer to the window where the kids where standing.
What i did not know nor did experience ever befor the full and uncontrollable speed.

One arm has damage on the bottom of its arm, the clip where the rubber and light is attached to has broken off.
The motor is still working correctly and the drone itself has no damage.

Can i order a new housing for the arm? i cannot find any spare parts for the mavic 3 in the Netherlands.
I found one webshop in the US, this was a comple arm with motor for 49$ but the shipping alone was 79$.
2023-3-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sjaako Posted at 3-8 05:26
Thank u for checking the log, that is why i wanted to dubbel check by people who understand how to read those things and have more experience with DJI drones.
For me it really looked like the drone got lunatic and out of control as soon as i switched to sport mode.
I wanted to make a picture of my kids inside just before i would land the drone in my backyard.

As soon as i switched to sport mode it shot out of its position and crashed against my wall, but not in a straight line.
As soon as you pushed the right stick forward  to the limit, the drone accelerated forward.
The crash movement wasn't in a straight line because you also gave it some rudder input.

It look liked how a wasp is flying, it slingered very fast from left to right and up to down.
I could not control it anymore with the sticks.

The drone's movements correspond to the joystick inputs you made.
Because it all happened in just two seconds, it happened too quickly to remember exactly what happened.

I knew in sport mode it shuts down the sensors for obsticle detection, that is the reason why i put it in sport so i could take a picture closer to the window where the kids where standing.
What i did not know nor did experience ever befor the full and uncontrollable speed.
That's what happens when you use full stick moves in Sport Mode.

2023-3-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sjaako Posted at 3-8 05:26

Hi,

See my chart of your data.

M3 in sport mode will react rapidly on stick inputs, see the short moment of full stick forward and the speed increasing.
Too close to an object, not even 1 meter....Heading and moving data show more or less a straight line.
Adjust your stick settings in the menu ; the gain and expo setting.watch this >

If you like to fly close to objects then if you like to disable the OA in the settings, so OA does not hamper close to object flying.
Fly in mode N or C.

Need more info   just PM me.
cheers
JJB  [ by FRAP ; the 'best' software for flightlog analysis ]

analysis1.png
2023-3-8
Use props
Sjaako
lvl.1

Netherlands

What can i expect price wise? i checked the price list and the arm itself cost 25 euro.
How does the repair service fee work, 50 euro per hour? as in the list i see the information below:

Part        Hour(s)        Service Fee / EUR
Battery        0        Free
Gimbal or Remote Controller        1        50
Aircraft        2 (Phantom series)        100
3(Inspire series)        150
2023-3-8
Use props
Sjaako
lvl.1

Netherlands

JJB* Posted at 3-8 06:26
Hi,

See my chart of your data.
Thank u so much, this will help prevent in the future
2023-3-8
Use props
fdnyfish
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7965640 ft
  • >>>
United States

you were only 2 feet in the air when you switched into sport mode
2023-3-8
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Absolutely amazing.  In every way.
2023-3-8
Use props
Sjaako
lvl.1

Netherlands

DJI Tony Posted at 3-8 03:59
Hi, Sjaako. Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry to read about the unfortunate accident that happened to your drone. We recommend you submit an Online Repair Application or directly contact our Customer Support at (support.dji.com) for further assistance. Our designated team will perform a Data Analysis to determine the cause of the crash. Please note that warranty service will be applied depending on the analysis result and the warranty status of the drone. We assure you that your concern will be handled accordingly. Should you have further inquiries, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day.

I have send the DJI drone to the repair center today.
Strange thing is that is asked me to send it to a repair center in the Netherlands but on the label i got by DJI per mail it is saying to ship it to germany.
Second thing is it asked me to send the controller, battery and all the stuf i received basicaly like charger etc.
Only the landing gear is broken on one arm, nothing wrong with the bettery or the rest.
I just send the whole box as i received it from DJI, and used the shipping label provided by DJI in the email instead of the one in the Netherlands which they asked me to ship it to first when i completed the form on the website.
Hopefully it will handled well.
2023-3-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How many batteries and propellers did you send with the drone?
Did you premove the memory cards from the drone?
2023-3-9
Use props
Sjaako
lvl.1

Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-9 09:03
How many batteries and propellers did you send with the drone?
Did you premove the memory cards from the drone?

One battery and one set props
2023-3-9
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Sjaako Posted at 3-9 09:36
One battery and one set props

Majestic.  Simply majestic.
2023-3-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cool.........
2023-3-9
Use props
Sjaako
lvl.1

Netherlands

TonyPHX Posted at 3-9 09:42
Majestic.  Simply majestic.

What do u mean?
2023-3-9
Use props
Sjaako
lvl.1

Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-9 09:45
Cool.........

Why would that be cool?
2023-3-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sjaako Posted at 3-9 10:05
Why would that be cool?

I feared you have might have sent everything back.....box contents depending..... and them might have a fight on your hands to get any spare batteries & props etc. back.
2023-3-9
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-9 11:46
I feared you have might have sent everything back.....box contents depending..... and them might have a fight on your hands to get any spare batteries & props etc. back.

Yes.  Agree with @SeanBB

You were smart to not send all the batteries!
2023-3-9
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

so are we saying the preferred method to get up and close to a building window is to disable oa not by switching into s-mode but by turning off oa in the menu and then a quick fix to the sensitive controls put it into c-mode?  this will save your expensive drone from almost a certain crash esp if you are new.
2023-3-9
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 3-9 12:46
so are we saying the preferred method to get up and close to a building window is to disable oa not by switching into s-mode but by turning off oa in the menu and then a quick fix to the sensitive controls put it into c-mode?  this will save your expensive drone from almost a certain crash esp if you are new.

The people who recommend Sport mode are not thinking it through. I would hate to be close to something and accidentally push the stick all the way. You are correct. Turn OA off in the settings. I keep my Expo setting all the way down all the time. This makes for a very easily controlled craft.
2023-3-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

yes....

If you really like to fly close to any object ; OA off and in C mode and ofcourse gentle on the sticks!If you are a new pilot and you know what you are doing ; no poblem at all !!

If you do not understand and not knowing what you are doing, find another hobby.

cheers
JJB
2023-3-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Sjaako Posted at 3-9 08:31
I have send the DJI drone to the repair center today.
Strange thing is that is asked me to send it to a repair center in the Netherlands but on the label i got by DJI per mail it is saying to ship it to germany.
Second thing is it asked me to send the controller, battery and all the stuf i received basicaly like charger etc.

We understand. We would like to check this for you. Kindly check your inbox as we sent you a direct message. Thank you.
2023-3-10
Use props
dwabrams
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1235961 ft
United States

Put the drone in Cine mode to avoid the problem the OP had. Stay several fee back from the window. Use the 7X camera or crop the high resolution photos.
2023-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules