VLC, Windows Photos and a problem
2234 20 2023-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Palliativo
lvl.3

Philippines

Hi all,
I am new and learning to pilot my Mini 3 Pro. In the last few days I took some videos and noted that they were very 'stuttering' when opened in VLC. I read about VLC issues in rendering 4k videos, so I switched to Windows Photos app, which appeared to be working smoothless. Today I shot 10 videos: Windows Photos can not play 7 out of those 10 (error message: 'something went wrong'). The strange thing is that VLC can read them without any issue - still jittery though.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? Is there any workaround?
Many thanks in advance!

2023-3-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, i do not have the fastest laptop but back in its day it was probably up there as a capable machine, I have just checked both VLC and WMP and Windows Photo app and all 3 played my 4k h.264 ok, are you shooting in h.265 as this might cause you issues.

To gve you an idea, this machine is just an HP touchsmart i7 (was i5), 16gb ram, 500gb SSD + 1tb HDD, 128mb dedicated + 2gb shared mem Intel onboard GPU + 2gb dedicated + 8gb shared Nvidia GPU
2023-3-13
Use props
Lieutenant
lvl.4
Australia

Install codecs then try again.

https://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
2023-3-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have just checked another video filmed with the same settings just on a different day and that one stutters, makes no sense, although i would expect this machine to stutter lol but why 1 plays great and the other stutters is beyond me, i could tell straight away too as the CPU fan hit full speed from the get go.

Just dived a bit deeper,
the one that plays ok is using 7% CPU and utilising the Intel graphics for video decoding and processing. 4k @ 93089kbps 30fps
the one that stutters is using the 100% CPU but not utilising the GPU for video decoding and processing. 4k @ 93026kbps 30fps

I am at a loss as to why that is, the properties do not state what codec they were filmed in

Heres a screen recording showing what i mean, bear in mind that recording the screen bumped up the CPU, i also had to keep the quality and frame rate of this video low else it really used too many resources when playing the 4k videos, so the 10fps makes the stutter a little worse but also adds a tiny stutter to the stutter free video, you'll see what i mean, again, i ain't sure why the 2 videos are like this, both filmed on the Mini 3 Pro and i am 99.999% sure both are h.264, i am not sure how to find that out, anyone?

2023-3-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I read about VLC issues in rendering 4k videos
???
What issues?
VLC is issue free and an excellent video player, easily playing just about anything.
It has no worries with 4K video, but your computer might.
The usual cause of complaints about jittery video is that the computer being used isn't up to the task.

If you haven't already done it, you should copy the video to the computer and paly from there, not direct from the SD card.

And don't bother loading any Codecs ... VLC doesn't need any.
2023-3-13
Use props
Palliativo
lvl.3

Philippines

Labroides Posted at 3-13 22:05
I read about VLC issues in rendering 4k videos
???
What issues?

It's not. There are known issues for 4k playback. On my machine, VLC plays DJI Mp4 (H264) with severe stuttering - I have very good hardware. Windows Photos was able to render the video without *any* jitter.

Just to clarify, this is not an issue with codecs. Windows Photo was able to play DJI videos taken before. Only those shot yesterday (and only 7 out of 10) are not playable.
2023-3-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Palliativo Posted at 3-13 22:22
It's not. There are known issues for 4k playback. On my machine, VLC plays DJI Mp4 (H264) with severe stuttering - I have very good hardware. Windows Photos was able to render the video without *any* jitter.

Just to clarify, this is not an issue with codecs. Windows Photo was able to play DJI videos taken before. Only those shot yesterday (and only 7 out of 10) are not playable.

In my video above i just used the Windows player with windows 11 because the video with the judder is far, far worse when using VLC, yet the other video plays just fine in VLC, there appears to be no rhyme nor reason that i can see.

The poor video is using the 100% CPU of which i am guessing is doing the video codec and processing whereas the ok video is only using about 7% CPU (when not screen recording) and the GPU is doing the video codec and video processing.

Have you looked at your taskmanager to see whats going on?
2023-3-13
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Did you remove the *.srt files (in case the were recorded)? It happened to me that VLC had this stuttering when it tried to overlay the sensor information over the video. I don't remember exactly if switching off the overlay in VLC worked; but now I always remove the *.srt files (in case everything went fine) and there is no issue anymore.
2023-3-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

_SoP_ Posted at 3-13 23:15
Did you remove the *.srt files (in case the were recorded)? It happened to me that VLC had this stuttering when it tried to overlay the sensor information over the video. I don't remember exactly if switching off the overlay in VLC worked; but now I always remove the *.srt files (in case everything went fine) and there is no issue anymore.

I have figured out what mine is, the stuttering video is h.265, 10bit, there's a little more file info in VLC, thing is though, i never record in h.265 hence being so sure it wasn't, glad i didn't say 100% now and it may explain why i used proxies for that one too, I'm not sure what possessed me to try h.265.

Hope you get to the bottom of your issue, Palliativo.
2023-3-13
Use props
Palliativo
lvl.3

Philippines

Thanks everyone for your comments.  Let me clarify further:

1) it is not an issue of codec or hardware: as said, I can play with no problems other videos in Windows Photos app - with very limited resource consumption (see picture). The problem occurred *only* yesterday (sofar) with *only* 7 out of 10 videos.

2) I uploaded a small video that I am not able to play with Windows Photo app (though VLC can).  It is 220MB, but I would appreciate it if any of you or a Mod could download and check if it works on your machine with Windows Photo App (windows 11)
https://mega.nz/file/jPAj0SqQ#Ms ... 3tdsdXSy2Tuttogom3g

Many thanks in advance!!
2023-3-13
Use props
Palliativo
lvl.3

Philippines

Bashy Posted at 3-13 23:08
In my video above i just used the Windows player with windows 11 because the video with the judder is far, far worse when using VLC, yet the other video plays just fine in VLC, there appears to be no rhyme nor reason that i can see.

The poor video is using the 100% CPU of which i am guessing is doing the video codec and processing whereas the ok video is only using about 7% CPU (when not screen recording) and the GPU is doing the video codec and video processing.

Many thanks for taking the time to run these tests, Bashy. I really appreciate it.
My stuttering is not so extreme: I would describe as one/two frames skipped every other second? :/

After searching on Google, I found a recommended workaround that improves the quality but does not eliminate the problem completely. So far, Windows Photo was the only one to play extremely smoothly all my DJI videos - until yesterday

2023-3-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Palliativo Posted at 3-13 23:53
Many thanks for taking the time to run these tests, Bashy. I really appreciate it.
My stuttering is not so extreme: I would describe as one/two frames skipped every other second? :/

Looking at your upload I think you filmed d-cine in h264 which is terrible for compatibility.  You may be able to save it by running it through handbrake.  
2023-3-14
Use props
Palliativo
lvl.3

Philippines

DAFlys Posted at 3-14 01:58
Looking at your upload I think you filmed d-cine in h264 which is terrible for compatibility.  You may be able to save it by running it through handbrake.

Many thanks DAFlys, I think you are spot on!!

The 7 that Windows Photos can not play are indeed shot in D-cinelike. The 3 that are working fine are shot using Quickshots and seem shot in Normal - so probably Quickshot switched back to Normal...
That's a pity that Photos can't read D-cine
2023-3-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Palliativo Posted at 3-14 02:29
Many thanks DAFlys, I think you are spot on!!

The 7 that Windows Photos can not play are indeed shot in D-cinelike. The 3 that are working fine are shot using Quickshots and seem shot in Normal - so probably Quickshot switched back to Normal...

D-Cine will work much better if you film in h265,   the 10bit encoding is much more compatible.  

You can save your other clips by running them through handbrake but you may find a colour cast,  which is a big clue of what happened.  
2023-3-14
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Using MPC or similar is a smoother option.
Windows photos isnt even colour managed.  Its a poor app for doing anything.
2023-3-14
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Palliativo Posted at 3-13 23:38
Thanks everyone for your comments.  Let me clarify further:

1) it is not an issue of codec or hardware: as said, I can play with no problems other videos in Windows Photos app - with very limited resource consumption (see picture). The problem occurred *only* yesterday (sofar) with *only* 7 out of 10 videos.

Doesn't work for me either in Windows Photo and Cine and TV. Other players are great.
2023-3-14
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hi All,

I also had micro stuttering especially during drone / camera pan when playing back on intel core i9 10980XE (x299 platform) with VLC and video resolution of 5.1k (4k was fine). I had this stuttering with H.265 10bit HLG files. The video card is Nvidia RTX 3090. I then upgraded my PC to AMD Ryzen 9 7950x and the stuttering was gone. 5.1k now plays very smoothly. Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Take care, Mike.
2023-3-14
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

+1 this would be great to see.
2023-3-14
Use props
Palliativo
lvl.3

Philippines

Hi guys, just a quick update to confirm that Windows Photo will read D-cinelike.+ H.265 with no issues. So the problem seems to be the combination D-cinelike + H.264
2023-3-23
Use props
Bodkins Best Photography
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2195374 ft
Canada

VLC is pretty much bottom of the barrel for 4k rendering. Try PotPlayer.  No pun intended...
2023-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules