Leaving Gopro for Osmo. Advice please.
1289 17 2023-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello all.

I used to own the original Osmo action, it was always relaible and never once crashed. When the Gopro train started I bought into the Gopro stalisation is better aspect becasue I use the cameras for MTB videos. However having owned the GP7Black and the GO10 I have had nothing but hassle and stress. GP10.. woudlnt switch on, would sometimes take 10  mins (no joke) woudlnt turn off, had to pull battery out to reset it, footage glitched lost footage, battery life of 20 mins, takes 5 mins to connect to the app if at all.

GoPro support.. .. have you tried taking the battery out and putting it back in... I work in the tv broadcast industry and have quite frankly had enough of their terrible customer support, they dont fix any of the issues since gp7 instead they churn out more and more camers with more and more people on their forums having same issues. Enough is enough.

Its a new day its a new dawn.

So.. with my go in the bin gone, this brings me to the Osmo Action 3, on paper it looks perfect, love the mount system, the 10 bit for grading, hdr... etc etc.
However, from spending a day reseraching this camera, there seems to be a lot of people returning new cameras (even dated dec 2022) who have focus issues and the camera being soft, I talk to the camera at arms length so it is part of my videos, it worrys me paying 400 for a camera i will have issues with straight out of the box.

How common is this issue? seems even recently made cameras are prone to problems. Really want to support DJI and grab a new camera, but 400 for me is a lot of money.

Hoping somebody can put my mind to rest and I can jon team Osmo.

Andy. - BOTG MTB Youtube.
2023-3-15
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Welcome to the Action 3 world.  go get the camera , not worry bout people Yapping on issues,, d onot get at  DJI, go to the store and get one, or Amazon.  they say newer batches are better, I say go get and decide yourself, its not a gopro its a camera and go endjoy
2023-3-15
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 3-15 03:08
Welcome to the Action 3 world.  go get the camera , not worry bout people Yapping on issues,, d onot get at  DJI, go to the store and get one, or Amazon.  they say newer batches are better, I say go get and decide yourself, its not a gopro its a camera and go endjoy

So buying directly from DJI not a good idea? I thought if it was defective having to go through high street would be more hassle.
2023-3-15
Use props
Urbsi
lvl.3
Germany

Hi, so in my opinion you have some options:

Buy it on amazon and when you have issues, just send it back within the 30 days.
You could buy it directly via DJI and when you have issues, you can send it back within the warranty (in Germany 2 years and so they gave me a new one even after some months) and they´ll send you a new one. The DJI support ist really good (GoPro support sucks, you are right!)
Or you could buy DJI Care for some extra cash and test the camera for a longer period and then send it via DJI Care back.

Best regards!
2023-3-15
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-15 03:35
So buying directly from DJI not a good idea? I thought if it was defective having to go through high street would be more hassle.

All I am saying make sure where you get from, amazon, DJI store, , no hassels I go the store route. anyone can warranty to DJI,

2023-3-15
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Mine is August 2022 and it works great. Of course I don’t ever turn it towards my ugly face. For that, I can use my phone. If you work in the tv broadcast industry, you’re asking for nothing but trouble. You work with high end cameras and optics (I assume) and you’ll start comparing the Action 3 to the $200k studio camera and you will be nothin but disappointed. You will turn the camera towards your face from 2 feet and there will be endless amount of threads about why is it so soft and you can’t vlog with it. Of course the camera makes great outdoor action shots but that doesn’t matter because nowadays people are obsessed with seeing their face on the big screen.

So. To summarize. For outdoor action shots: get it. For your face from 2 feet or indoor shots with low light: don’t.
2023-3-15
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 3-15 04:48
Mine is August 2022 and it works great. Of course I don’t ever turn it towards my ugly face. For that, I can use my phone. If you work in the tv broadcast industry, you’re asking for nothing but trouble. You work with high end cameras and optics (I assume) and you’ll start comparing the Action 3 to the $200k studio camera and you will be nothin but disappointed. You will turn the camera towards your face from 2 feet and there will be endless amount of threads about why is it so soft and you can’t vlog with it. Of course the camera makes great outdoor action shots but that doesn’t matter because nowadays people are obsessed with seeing their face on the big screen.

So. To summarize. For outdoor action shots: get it. For your face from 2 feet or indoor shots with low light: don’t.

No i meant being in the tv industry and being told to take battery out is insulting. I told them all the issues and where I work..
2023-3-15
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

We are a lot of people that had problems with wrong focus, and almost everyone have returned it and/or fixed it ourself and are happy now.
Like you I love my first Osmo Action (still have it) and I actually have bought gopro 8 and 10 last years and sold them both because of all the trouble with battery, reset, won't charge and so on.

For some the really wide angle on OA3 is a bit too much, for me I think it is what I missed with OA1 + the amazing RockSteady 3.0 is just amazing. And no other cameras out there can compete with 160 minutes batterylife and even in -20c, my gopro 10 I sold would complain it was too cold in +10c even with Enduro battery
2023-3-15
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 3-15 06:56
We are a lot of people that had problems with wrong focus, and almost everyone have returned it and/or fixed it ourself and are happy now.
Like you I love my first Osmo Action (still have it) and I actually have bought gopro 8 and 10 last years and sold them both because of all the trouble with battery, reset, won't charge and so on.

Thanks that out my mind to rest will order the adventure pack from Amazon today. ty.
2023-3-15
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-15 08:10
Thanks that out my mind to rest will order the adventure pack from Amazon today. ty.

Feel free to post any videos here on this forum, I mean if you wondering about your unit when you get it here. Just hope they will send you a newer date
2023-3-15
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

reasons People remove a battery is to prevent overheating. like said post a shot up in broad daylight outside   and  you be  super happy.

glad you got the adventure kit,  good luck
2023-3-15
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Arpettaz Posted at 3-15 13:30
I too owned lots of different GoPro cameras. I would never buy one again. I think GoPro is a turd of a camera.

I’ve owned original Osmo Action, Action 2 and now Osmo Action 3. Never had any issues with any of them. That said I thought when released the OA3 pictures and video were not sharp enough but this has been rectified with firmware updates. I’ve never had a focus issue with my Osmo Action 3.

I never really bothered with social media videos thst are 9x16 but I bought the cage for it as well. How is the app for editing short clips?

The gopro took ages to connect was so frustrating.
2023-3-16
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-16 00:01
How is the app for editing short clips?

The gopro took ages to connect was so frustrating.
try it
lightcut android and ios

or You Cut free i also easy
IMG_20230316_120127.jpg
IMG_20230316_120431.jpg
2023-3-16
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 3-15 06:56
Like you I love my first Osmo Action (still have it) and I actually have bought gopro 8 and 10 last years and sold them both because of all the trouble with battery, reset, won't charge and so on.

How are you able to get 160 minutes of battery life?
On a previously charged battery recording 4K50, I get 105 minutes in 10 degrees C

I've often wondered whether taking the battery straight off charge and using it, would make a difference?
What else to try?
What battery life are others getting?
2023-3-16
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

m326 Posted at 3-16 08:10
On a previously charged battery recording 4K50, I get 105 minutes in 10 degrees C

I do get around 2 hours 40-50 in a single charge. I shoot on 1080p @30. If you go to the Osmo Action 3 home page and look under Specs, even DJI say that it is around 160 minutes. And the small print states 1080p @30 fps. So yes, it is very realistic time.

However, I’d say that in order to get that time, you have to record constantly. Eg, I put it on my bike and just start riding with the screen off after 3 sec, 1080p @30 fps, RockSteady. I get a few minutes extra with sounds off and voice control disabled. But if you constantly record stop record stop record stop, and keep checking the screen in between, then that obviously shortens the time by a few minutes.

With Timelapse, camera on the tripod, screen off, stabilization off, I got around 3 hours 15 or so out of it at 1080p. Luckily, I don't care for 4k and the long battery life at 1080 is perfect for me. If you need more time on 4k, perhaps try using a powerbank instead of the battery.

2023-3-16
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

m326 Posted at 3-16 08:10

I actually got more than 2,5 hours in -18c outside, doing timelapse. Haven't tried recording.
2023-3-16
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks for the answers, the key is not recording 4K video for better recording times.
Very happy with the batteries though
2023-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules