o(^-^)o
steve
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17269813 ft
  • >>>
United States

Edit - I post a work-around solution on post #6 of this

Hi,

How do I automate flying a circle around a point and get smooth video of the center point of the circle?

I'm using DJI Ground Station software. I'm tried both the PC and iPad verisons. Other info s1000+, a2, futaba controllers, Zenmuse Sony A7 gimbal.

This seems like such a straightforward thing, hopefully I am just missing something.
I create the waypoints using the circle tool, hit Go and off the s1000+ flies. No problems there.
But the trouble is that when it gets to the next waypoint the whole airframe turns to aim at that next waypoint. This sudden turn is not compatible with getting smooth video of point X. Every waypoint there is a sudden lurch in the footage.
I've tried the 'smooth' turn, the 'adaptive' turn with no success - these make the ground track of the drone smooth, but the whole airframe still turns to aim at the next waypoint.
There is an option called 'orientation lock' but this does not get rid of the quick directional changes at each waypoint.
I've tried creating 50 waypoints, but that still leaves a lurch every 7 degrees.
What I would like is if the drone flew a circle I'd like the nose of the s1000+ to be pointed the same direction no matter where it was on the circle. That way I could smoothly pan the camera.
There is the "POI - Point of interest" option, but this is not automated - I still need to fly the craft around the circle.

Flying a circle around a structure allows easy video from all angles of the structure. This seems like such a basic thing that people would want to do if they were programming a drone to fly in a circle.

thanks for your help,

2015-8-21
Use props
ggoodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wonder if you can use POI and cruise control at the same time.
2015-8-21
Use props
steve
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ggoodlett@aol.c Posted at 2015-8-22 12:14
I wonder if you can use POI and cruise control at the same time.

Good idea. I'm not sure if they can work together, but I will try.

It seems to me the programmers set this up to be able to fly in a circle, but forgot about why one would want to fly in a circle. I suppose the waypoints work for stills, but video is a big part of the equation to miss.
2015-8-22
Use props
chris_t
lvl.4

Germany

Right now, you can only set the heading at the waypoint, not between waypoints. This is a function DJI users wish for since ages, but which still is not available.
2015-8-22
Use props
chris_t
lvl.4

Germany

Right now, you can only set the heading at the waypoint, not between waypoints. This is a function DJI users wish for since ages, but which still is not available.
2015-8-22
Use props
steve
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

chris_t Posted at 2015-8-23 04:01
Right now, you can only set the heading at the waypoint, not between waypoints. This is a function D ...

So here is my solution.

I tried setting a POI and using Cruise Control, but as pointed out CC does not work with POI.

However, I can set a POI, backup to the desired radius, and then dial in some left trim on my Futaba until the craft is moving left at the desired speed. (A more elegant solution would be to re-map a dial to do the same thing. I'll get to that next time I've got the Futaba plugged in.)

The craft will now autonomously fly a circle and keep the camera pointed at the center point. No gimbal lunges at the waypoints, just nice smooth video.

2015-8-26
Use props
chris_t
lvl.4

Germany

steve@wingnutae Posted at 2015-8-27 04:17
So here is my solution.

I tried setting a POI and using Cruise Control, but as pointed out CC doe ...

Using the trim is a nice idea.

Maybe we will live to the day, when DJI finally will have implemented such a function in the GS software.
2015-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules