Shimmering
1845 35 2023-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Footage seems to shimmer looks terrible any idea?
It's like the camera is over sharp anyway to fix it. My gopro 10 looked way better.

4k 24fps rocksteady.

2023-3-18
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

lets ask you mean flickering due to the  lighting in the bike shop as you were walking, adjust the shutter speed . the  auto flicker is  to help, , the camera may require additional lighting if asked.  Hero 10 is worse in low light
2023-3-18
Use props
Jake. A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

2023-3-18
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Nothing to do with lights. When viewed on a 4k TV there is horrible shimmer around everything small like the wheel spokes, it does it in forests around leaves as well so it is a camera issue. And outside in bright sunlight. It's terrible. Like an anti aliasing issue.
2023-3-18
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 3-18 12:04
lets ask you mean flickering due to the  lighting in the bike shop as you were walking, adjust the shutter speed . the  auto flicker is  to help, , the camera may require additional lighting if asked.  Hero 10 is worse in low light

The 10 dosnt do it osmo is overly sharp how do we turn sharpening off.
2023-3-18
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

okay I may start seeing what you're talking about around the wheels.  I would suggest turningoff Rocksteady, still walk stupid slow, and or use a gimbal, if a light is not going to used the issues will be seen.

another thing is possible format rendering can cause issues as well botching with youtube,
but people are saying you need a Large tv to see things, most watch via smartphones  hopee you resolve it with a better product
2023-3-18
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-18 13:50

...DELETED....

2023-3-19
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 3-19 01:30
Going from the GoPro to the Action (as both you and I did) will possibly have you return to the Hero 11 eventually, which seems slightly more reliable than the others. I dropped GoPro following the release of the 9 but even that has been improved now with firmware. Although the internal audio pops were never fixed.

The first thing I noticed going to the Action 3 was closer focus not being as good as the GoPro and then the lens barreling. Unflattering.

We are all youtubers, you, me, Fish, and OP (+ many others here) and since he do POV mountain biking and same with me but with atv, I think he (especially me) was tired of gopro ruing footage because it suddenly just won't record. It happend for me atleast twice while driving but for him it would be more critical (I think) since he does more action than all of us and often can't redo the shot.
Vloggers can redo their shot, and often will not lose more than like 5-10 min if it fail recording, but they do most time a check if their camera is recording + often watch its screen.
If I do lose 30+ minutes of footage, it will costs a lot of time + money to redo that shot, and most times it is not worth doing it. And I think same with OP, we probably won't bother going back on trail to record it all over again.

That's why I did recommend him to buy OA3 since we all can trust it will record whatever happen, and whatever the condition is with cold or heat.

That TV stations use gopro is probably that they get a good deal + doesn't have time and money to invest in other brands or do research. Same with other brands they use, costs too much to switch to other companies. But they never show audience when their equipment fails

Most creation makers should not only have one tool (camera), atleast I don't. But it all depend of content we are making. And I use different cameras for different content.
Same with my photography where I switch between cameras and lenses for what I'm shooting.

Gopro is a really good camera indeed, and I will probably buy 12 or any later cameras, but not this year + they need to come out with something I really want in my next unit.
2023-3-19
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I do all types of vids, how to with auto repairs, gopro fails to work its   going to cost like said.

tv shows uses hero cameras as well Osmo action ones. and yep if it fails they still use it, go figure
2023-3-19
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-18 13:50

Hopefully DJI adds sharpening controls in the next firmware - hope dies last.
It's completely incomprehensible that there are so few controls for essential parameters. Especially for a cam targeted at the pro market to some extent...
2023-3-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Video removed
2023-3-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, BOTG0MTB#. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. In motion scenes, in order to reduce motion blur, the camera limits the shutter speed to maintain the clarity of each frame, which may cause flicker in some situations.
In 50 Hz AC current areas, it is recommended that you use M mode, adjust the shutter speed to 1/50 or 1/100 manually, set the ISO to Auto to reduce flicker.
In 60 AC current areas, it is recommended that you use M mode, adjust the shutter speed to 1/60 or 1/120, and set the ISO to Auto to reduce flicker.
If the issue occurs in a brighter or lighter environment when using Auto mode, the shutter will make automatic adjustments based on environmental lighting. At this time, the shutter speed may differ from the ones recommended above, which may result in flickering. We appreciate your understanding.
2023-3-19
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello I am a film maker so k ow about the 50htz issue it's not thst as it does it outside in open areas L. It's an oversharpening issue, there is ant aliasing much a like to pc games.
The camera footage shimmers in nearly all situations, as the sharpness is way too high.

I presume you have forced this on vecause of the soft focus issues. By doing so you have reduced the quality and now we have another issue.

Having tested same shots on gopro the shimmer (not banding due to htz) it is not presant.

Osmo needs to update fireware with sharpening options so we xan turn it off. The drastic exposure changes are another issue best left for another day..

But thanks for time and explanation.

2023-3-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I can't watch it?
2023-3-20
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

3.01 - I had to add 1% blur in post other wise all bushes look like they are covered in frost. also the audo exposure is way too sensitive. Makes hard to watch.

2023-3-20
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

forground and background are not exposed, so can that be part of the issue you are having that is causing what you call shimmering,  

2023-3-20
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Its like it flickers between dark and light. and this is on a bright day. Why does the osmo doe this its terrible and really distracting, my gopro dosnt do it, so whats difference?
2023-3-20
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 3-20 03:19
forground and background are not exposed, so can that be part of the issue you are having that is causing what you call shimmering,  

[view_image]

Even outside in daylight? its like it flickers badly. I find it hard to watch as my gopro dosnt do it,.. iv tried every setting on the camera and cant find a solution.
2023-3-20
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-20 03:58
Even outside in daylight? its like it flickers badly. I find it hard to watch as my gopro dosnt do it,.. iv tried every setting on the camera and cant find a solution.

understood.  a few questions

try factory resetting the camera, and just shoot at default

if you're unhappy return for a full refund, get a new one, if the issues can not get  solved.

see if the sensor by the O of Action   looks clean

change the FOV, do not use pro,  

can not refresh firmware, DJI today no longer allows it, stupidest t thing in the world.

To me it feels like the camera struggles to do the job got like two layers , meaning points to the sensor can not explain it, can not decifer between  distances if asked
2023-3-20
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

HDR?

Faster shutterspeed would make it better and don't use ND filters if you do.
2023-3-20
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 3-20 04:22
HDR?

Faster shutterspeed would make it better and don't use ND filters if you do.

was on auto, rock steady, 4k 24 fps, no filters camera is 2 days old.
2023-3-20
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

great to hear its  still under a Return, if any reason not happy do not wait...
2023-3-20
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Fishycomics Posted at 3-20 09:49
great to hear its  still under a Return, if any reason not happy do not wait...

You are so gp fanboy jk, no but I agree if he's not happy return it.

But don't complain to us when lose footage
2023-3-20
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 3-20 10:02
You are so gp fanboy  jk, no but I agree if he's not happy return it.

But don't complain to us when lose footage

ha ha ha .   We are all here to help and  glad we all can get a good laugh. Yep     I am sure its a simple setting that is causing it, not gonna say User
2023-3-20
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-20 02:59
3.01 - I had to add 1% blur in post other wise all bushes look like they are covered in frost. also the audo exposure is way too sensitive. Makes hard to watch.

Similar lighting conditions to yours. Mine is on full auto, 1080p @30fps, Wide. Rolling down the hill. I am not uploading to YT cuz that ruins a 1080p footage and I don't feel like wasting time with upsampling.

GDrive here, original, uncompressed.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... view?usp=share_link
2023-3-20
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Iancraig10 Posted at 3-19 01:30
Going from the GoPro to the Action (as both you and I did) will possibly have you return to the Hero 11 eventually, which seems slightly more reliable than the others. I dropped GoPro following the release of the 9 but even that has been improved now with firmware. Although the internal audio pops were never fixed.

The first thing I noticed going to the Action 3 was closer focus not being as good as the GoPro and then the lens barreling. Unflattering.

I have  never seen British TV for instance, using anything other than GoPros for their 'action' shots; even with its shortcomings.

That’s just ridiculous, I’m sure  British TV use many different cameras for action, and I think the mere fact that go pro has been around much longer than the action has a huge bearing on their decision to use go pros. But the fact you brought up this ridiculous excuse for buying a go pro as opposed to an A3, and at the same time ignored your own logic and purchased an A3 shows your comments are extremely jaundiced and should not be taken seriously .

It’s hard to take anything else you posted in your long winded diatribe about using a camera for something not intended then comparing the same camera to another used specific for action shows you are talking through your hat once again.
2023-3-20
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

only watch the  first    15 seconds, same concerns as he is not shooting with an action 3 afterward.

2023-3-20
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hereis another example of the issues.
2023-3-21
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

maybe so, are you going to return and exchange?
2023-3-21
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 3-21 04:09
maybe so, are you going to return and exchange?

Now I want to see if they fix it with firware. The video shows, with rocksteady off there is no banding or flickering.. its a rocksteady issue.
2023-3-21
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

...DELETED...

2023-3-21
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-21 04:06
Hereis another example of the issues.
Youtube flickering

That's an Osmo Action, not an Action 3.
2023-3-21
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

thank you

Please Ignore offtopic people they are ruining  things.
2023-3-21
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

So you  found this to be a Rocksteady issue, turning off fixes the issue,  have you shot in Full Son no    background  open    shots like seeing a distance, no obstructions wit hRocksteady on? to me that is me how I shoot, and no issue. so curious to see if that would be the issue with your model.   Firmware, will not get updated till  at least another month or two but may not be on their list of priority
2023-3-21
Use props
ThOneWithCamera
New

Norway

The stabilization in OA3 is very sensitive. In my opinion, it is too sensitive for it's own good, especially when it comes to low light situations. In these low light situations, i think the camera could benefit from getting a new stabilization-mode, where the stabilization is made less sensitive. If DJI could implement a new stabilization-mode, a sort of Rocksteady-lite mode, were the stabilization is less sensitive, then i think it should take care of the shimmering and flickering on the videos created.
2023-3-24
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ThOneWithCamera Posted at 3-24 22:19
The stabilization in OA3 is very sensitive. In my opinion, it is too sensitive for it's own good, especially when it comes to low light situations. In these low light situations, i think the camera could benefit from getting a new stabilization-mode, where the stabilization is made less sensitive. If DJI could implement a new stabilization-mode, a sort of Rocksteady-lite mode, were the stabilization is less sensitive, then i think it should take care of the shimmering and flickering on the videos created.

I think it's the over sensitive auto exposure it's all over the place + way too much baked I sharpness only way to fix it is add blur in post!!!
2023-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules