LightCut and the Pocket 2 - what connection types supported?
2758 18 2023-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I am about to test the LightCut app for editing, today I recorded a performance by our community college's group of creative writing and thought I could use the footage for testing how the LightCut works. Before I start, I would like to ask a question though. I remember hearing that the LightCut app has access to the footage of the camera, even without transferring the files to the mobile device. This obviously requires a connection to the Pocket 2, but I would like to know which types of connection does the app support. Does it support both a direct USB-C connection through the controller port adapter and the wireless connection using the Do-It-All Handle? Or is only one of the two connection types supported? Also, if I do transfer the videos to the file storage of the mobile unit itself, then can I still access them through the LightCut app?

Thanks in advance for all of your replies!

2023-3-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Captain. Thanks for reaching out. We have forwarded your inquiries to the related team for confirmation. We'll let you know once we have the answers. Thank you, and have a nice day!
2023-3-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

To give you an update, the DJI Pocket 2 and the LightCut editor app doesn't need a direct connection. If the videos were recorded by the Pocket 2, all you need to do is transfer them to your mobile phone first and then proceed with editing them on the app. Please let us know if you need further clarification.
2023-3-22
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI Tony Posted at 3-22 02:52
To give you an update, the DJI Pocket 2 and the LightCut editor app doesn't need a direct connection. If the videos were recorded by the Pocket 2, all you need to do is transfer them to your mobile phone first and then proceed with editing them on the app. Please let us know if you need further clarification.

Thank you for that reply, that answers one of my questions. However, I also meant to ask about the editing style that allows editing without transfering the files to the storage of the mobile device. If I want to edit the files that way, can I do so by connecting the Pocket 2 to the mobile device using an USB-C connection (either by using the controller port connector or by the direct USB-C connector of the bottom part of the Pocket 2) or will I have to use the Do-It-All Handle to connect?

Thanks in advance for further replies!
2023-3-22
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

HGDC84 Posted at 3-22 04:14
Thank you for that reply, that answers one of my questions. However, I also meant to ask about the editing style that allows editing without transfering the files to the storage of the mobile device. If I want to edit the files that way, can I do so by connecting the Pocket 2 to the mobile device using an USB-C connection (either by using the controller port connector or by the direct USB-C connector of the bottom part of the Pocket 2) or will I have to use the Do-It-All Handle to connect?

I'll reply this to myself as I happened to try it out before receiving an answer.

The LightCut app doesn't seem to support direct USB-C connection with the Pocket 2, neither for straight editing nor transferring files from the camera to the mobile device storage. Therefore, you WILL NEED THE DIA HANDLE.

Haven't tested the editing and transferring the files much in practice yet, as my devices were low on battery and I had no time to charge them yet. I did try to access them through the app wirelessly, but the access and transfer process both seemed to be quite slow (though it has to be admitted that the files in question were quite big video files, from a recording that lasted over an hour). Will see it a bit further later on.
2023-3-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

HGDC84 Posted at 3-22 04:14
Thank you for that reply, that answers one of my questions. However, I also meant to ask about the editing style that allows editing without transfering the files to the storage of the mobile device. If I want to edit the files that way, can I do so by connecting the Pocket 2 to the mobile device using an USB-C connection (either by using the controller port connector or by the direct USB-C connector of the bottom part of the Pocket 2) or will I have to use the Do-It-All Handle to connect?

Hi, Captain. We're glad you managed to do some testing and we look forward to your future tests. To answer your question, this specific connection method has not been tested by our engineers, therefore, we cannot guarantee it. The only method we have is to transfer them from the DJI Pocket 2 to the mobile phone first, and then edit them on the app. if you encounter issues with the app, you can directly contact their Customer Service at (lightcutapp@gmail.com). And by the way, we have noted your feedback and this will be forwarded to the related team. We appreciate the time you put into this and your understanding. Have a nice day, and stay safe.
2023-3-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

How is it going with the test?
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 4-3 01:36

Thanks for asking, I recently did some editing tests with the LightCut app and made a shorter cut of a longer video I had made with the Pocket 2. Seemed to work okay when I had transferred the files from the Pocket 2 to the tablet using the Mimo App first and then edited with the LightCut. Still yet to test the transferring with the DIA Handle and LightCut. The USB-C connection outright refused to work with the LightCut app, no matter the intentions. Just did not recognize the Pocket 2 through it. Will report more later when I've done further testing. :-)
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 4-3 01:36

You can read more about my experience on another thread post at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 617&pid=3013018
2023-4-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 4-3 05:00
You can read more about my experience on another thread post at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=285617&pid=3013018

Did you also post the end result?
2023-4-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 4-3 04:50
Thanks for asking, I recently did some editing tests with the LightCut app and made a shorter cut of a longer video I had made with the Pocket 2. Seemed to work okay when I had transferred the files from the Pocket 2 to the tablet using the Mimo App first and then edited with the LightCut. Still yet to test the transferring with the DIA Handle and LightCut. The USB-C connection outright refused to work with the LightCut app, no matter the intentions. Just did not recognize the Pocket 2 through it. Will report more later when I've done further testing. :-)

So far I don't see much advantage over using my laptop + default editor.
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 4-3 05:59
Did you also post the end result?

Not this one, it features other people with whom I have agreed not to release the video in public broadcast. But I could try and make another video purely for test purposes, I do have an idea I would like to try out and for that, the material could be suitable to be used with the LightCut app. If that produces something viable, I could possibly post that here.
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 4-3 06:00
So far I don't see much advantage over using my laptop + default editor.

It depends. If you have time to spare, can easily access your computer and want more versatile editing, then the laptop-editor combo could be a better choice of the two. But for quick, basic editing and for scenarios with limited ability to carry video producing tools with you, the LightCut app does the job.

I don't think I am going to replace my desktop and DaVinci Resolve completely with the tablet/phone and LightCut combination either, but I think I could use it if I'm having a celebration with my family and friends, and want to share short clips from the events. Pretty much depends on your intentions.

Also, as I said in the other thread, LightCut probably works better with multiple shorter clips instead of the clip(s) recorded on one non-stop take.
2023-4-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 4-3 06:03
Not this one, it features other people with whom I have agreed not to release the video in public broadcast. But I could try and make another video purely for test purposes, I do have an idea I would like to try out and for that, the material could be suitable to be used with the LightCut app. If that produces something viable, I could possibly post that here.

Yeah, I get that completely!
But do you like editing with your phone?
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 4-3 06:10
Yeah, I get that completely!
But do you like editing with your phone?

It was fairly straightforward and easy, did do a couple of erratic taps and swipes but nothing that truly infuriated me. Though I have to say the material I used didn't need that much editing, it was more of a guestion of combining the multiple clips into one segment and then cutting out everything except the excerpts I needed.

EDIT: one more clarification: I used my tablet instead of my phone, found that important to mention as I'm sure having a bigger screen certainly helped the operation. Not tried editing straight on a phone yet.
2023-4-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 4-3 06:13
It was fairly straightforward and easy, did do a couple of erratic taps and swipes but nothing that truly infuriated me. Though I have to say the material I used didn't need that much editing, it was more of a guestion of combining the multiple clips into one segment and then cutting out everything except the excerpts I needed.

EDIT: one more clarification: I used my tablet instead of my phone, found that important to mention as I'm sure having a bigger screen certainly helped the operation. Not tried editing straight on a phone yet.

I feel like transferring the files and having to take my tablet with me will probably be too much 'hurdle' to make it more convenient than taking my laptop with me.
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 4-3 06:40
I feel like transferring the files and having to take my tablet with me will probably be too much 'hurdle' to make it more convenient than taking my laptop with me.

I ought to try the function where they say you should be able to edit the videos directly from the memory card of the Pocket 2 using the DIA Handle, without first transferring them to the storage of the mobile device. If that really works, it could save some time and hassle.

But I do also see why you'd prefer the laptop on many situations. I do feel that there would be less erratic clicks and selections with the keyboard and mouse instead of a touchscreen.
2023-4-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Any mods seeing this? I would like to request changing the location of this topic, as it involves talking about handheld devices and not flying drones. I think Handheld tutorials would be a more suitable location for this thread.
2023-4-15
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

May I suggest moving this thread to another location?

Some time ago, I posted a thread at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=287067 that was about using the LightCut app with the Pocket 2. If my memory serves me right, I created this thread before you rearranged the menus and topic locations. I later found out that this was placed on the 'Drone Tutorials' section of the 'Tutorials and Tips' submenu, though I would consider this to be better placed at 'Handheld Tutorials' section, as the Pocket 2 is not a flying drone but a handheld camera. So may I ask if somebody of the mods would move the thread there instead of the Drone Tutorials? I was about to use a Report function to notify you that it was in the wrong section, but found out you cannot report your own posts.

Thanks in advance for understanding and co-operation!

2023-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules