Benefits of shooting in 4:3 mode.
3494 15 2023-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

As I use my Osmo 3 from mtb riding (mounted to the chin area of the helmet) I was advised that shooting 4k 24 4:3 hdr. Would be the better way as it captures a higher bitrate and more vertically so you can reposition the video frame when editing. Is this true?

What do you do with your 4:3 footage once you start editing, if you stretch it horisontally wont that make everything out of proportion?

Also for the tecchies out there:

24 vs 30 fps.
I know 24 will be better in low light like forests and add more motion blur

But would 30 be better for capturing action. Still confused on wther to shoot with HDR or dcine mode on.

Any advice appreiated currently suffering from banding and constant too fast harsh exposure shifts that make footage look poor with white lines around grass and branches (anti alising type effect) so trying to solve one issue at a time. Seen videos showing its rocksteady issue.

2023-3-21
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

“Hello I am a film maker…”

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =286941&pid=3004966
2023-3-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

In general, you will want to CROP your footage. Not resize it (squeeze) to a different ratio.
This way, you don't get ugly distorted objects.

Also in general. Faster framerates (50fps in PAL area) are better for action cameras.
Since they will result in smoother video with fast action. Plus you have the benefit of being able to slow down without a problem.

You maybe want to stick to your PAL equivalent of 25fps, so you don't have the risk of flickering artificial lighting.
30fps is not adviced in PAL area for this reason.

Now some will argue that 24fps is 'cinematic' since a lot of movies are shot in 24fps. But it takes more than just that framerate to be cinematic

If you are going to film in a dim lit environment, 25fps might be better, since it will allow your shutterspeed to be slower and let more light on the sensor. (compared to 50fps)
But that depends on the situation.

I personally would always shoot in the fastest framerate I can, so I have smoother footage (less risk of jitter) and I can slow my footage down if I want to.
But (again) it depends on many things. There is no 1 size fits all

But in a forest that will probably not be an issue.
2023-3-21
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
Bulgaria

osmonauta Posted at 3-21 04:44

No way
2023-3-21
Use props
Jake. A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

I wouldn't shoot in 4:3 unless you're going for a specific look.   About 24 vs 30 fps, 24 is most likely better for action as long as for frame rate is double that (1/50ss)For drone footage, some say 30 fps is better as it sometimes eliminates some micro-jitters. Hope this helps

2023-3-21
Use props
Jake. A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

2023-3-21
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 3-21 04:44

Yes I work in tv industry smart arse I make films for fun outside of work.
2023-3-21
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-21 06:19

I have mentioned to you before, shoot as fast as possible for best results, and with action 60 fps is what you want. DON'T go after Hollywood look with 24 fps, it is for cinematic videos, not action like offroad bicycling are.

About shooting in 4:3, you will get full sensor readout that GoPro 11 advertise all time about that they have, so OA3 also have it.
And you just simple zoom in 1,340 in post to fill up screen to 16:9.

2023-3-21
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Jake. A Posted at 3-21 06:12
I wouldn't shoot in 4:3 unless you're going for a specific look.   About 24 vs 30 fps, 24 is most likely better for action as long as for frame rate is double that (1/50ss)For drone footage, some say 30 fps is better as it sometimes eliminates some micro-jitters. Hope this helps

I tried 4:3 recently. It's sort of a weird look because it feels like you're watching something from the 70s and nowadays most ppl got used to 16:9. But I actually liked it because
a) as I understand the full sensor size is utilized (provided stabilization is off)
b) I can see more at the top and bottom because it's not cropped. Too bad 1080p doesn't have a 4:3 mode

On a related note...

2023-3-21
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-21 06:19

Well, that's fine, I just thought film makers knew that stuff already.
2023-3-21
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 3-21 06:49
I tried 4:3 recently. It's sort of a weird look because it feels like you're watching something from the 70s and nowadays most ppl got used to 16:9. But I actually liked it because
a) as I understand the full sensor size is utilized (provided stabilization is off)
b) I can see more at the top and bottom because it's not cropped. Too bad 1080p doesn't have a 4:3 mode

4:3 60 fps and still RockSteady is available.
2023-3-21
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

4:3 gives you the benefit of being able to raise or lower your view in post without losing pixels. Just in case your angle of view is too high or low. It gives you more pixels in the vertical plane to play around with, so just crop it to a 16:9 format and move the crop up or down until you have the view that you want.

Useful for bikers in order to get the horizon exactly where you want it. (In post)

Also can be cropped to 9:16 for shorts. (Vertical view) Then you can move left/right without losing pixels in vertical format.

Think of it as 16:16. (It's not exactly square but it's easier to think of it that way)
2023-3-21
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 3-21 09:33
4:3 gives you the benefit of being able to raise or lower your view in post without losing pixels. Just in case your angle of view is too high or low. It gives you more pixels in the vertical plane to play around with, so just crop it to a 16:9 format and move the crop up or down until you have the view that you want.

Useful for bikers in order to get the horizon exactly where you want it. (In post)

So there is enough resolution to zoom into a 16. 9 frame? Ty.
2023-3-21
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 3-21 06:48
I have mentioned to you before, shoot as fast as possible for best results, and with action 60 fps is what you want. DON'T go after Hollywood look with 24 fps, it is for cinematic videos, not action like offroad bicycling are.

About shooting in 4:3, you will get full sensor readout that GoPro 11 advertise all time about that they have, so OA3 also have it.

Anything above 120% softens your image.
2023-3-21
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-21 10:11
Anything above 120% softens your image.

If you zoom in for it to fit 16:9 screen with 1.340 in post, it will be the same as shooting in ordinary 16:9
2023-3-21
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-21 10:10
So there is enough resolution to zoom into a 16. 9 frame? Ty.

Yes. The square format uses more of the sensor. In fact …. 4096×3072 Pixels, which is more than normal 4k at 3140 x 2160, so you have room to crop in.

Hero 11 does 5312x4648 which is a bit more 'square' than 4:3 (8x7) so a little bit more room to move the frame up or down.
2023-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules