Osmo 3 : Reduce Overly Sensitive Auto exposure. Its terrible.
1812 21 2023-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Osmo Action 3.

Is there anyway to reduce the overly sensitive auto exposure I am really trying to love this camera and wont go back to GoPro but issues like this first section really hampen the enjoyment this camera is capable of. The fore mentioned GP auto exposure is much less harsh and hardly noticable. The Osmo 3 seems way too fast and harsh in its automatic mode.

I am hoping DJI make an update with option to lessen this and ability to turn off sharpening so we can adjust in post. Without going into manual seetings, any way to reduce the harsh exposure speed changes (see intro video) changes that the competition cameras dont do?

2023-3-22
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

The video was shot in August 2022. The Action 3 came out around September 14, 2022 or so. The description under the video states it was shot on Osmo Action 2 but you mention Osmo Action 3.

Also, can you show (possibly) the same track footage under the same lighting conditions with the GP angled the same way for comparison?
2023-3-22
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

BTW, the "competition" also suffers from the same issues.

2023-3-22
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 3-22 04:33
BTW, the "competition" also suffers from the same issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKI2Ajx3ukc

Osmo 2 and 3 same issue. My old gopro was never this harsh it's a software dji issue.
2023-3-22
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

There was someone who posted not too long ago about fishing. He had the camera on the boat. White sky (not blue) due to overcast conditions. The upper half of the footage was white, the bottom part is black. :-) And he said the same thing, that GP is "way better". Well, thankfully, I don't own other cameras so I don't have to compare.
2023-3-22
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 3-22 05:31
There was someone who posted not too long ago about fishing. He had the camera on the boat. White sky (not blue) due to overcast conditions. The upper half of the footage was white, the bottom part is black. :-) And he said the same thing, that GP is "way better". Well, thankfully, I don't own other cameras so I don't have to compare.

Seem a bit butt hurt. We are trying to improve the osmo.

Also on the sharp front. check this test i did.. look at the railings... shimmering. By adding blur in post it get rid of it, meaning the camera is too sharp... (lower number = more blue) 50 is default straight from the camera.

(Hd is still rendering on yt upto 4k easier to see effect I am talking about)

2023-3-22
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

4k last shot will show. Adding blur in post gets rid of shimmering on edges of fine objects. Aka osmo needs to reduce sharpening in camera to get rid of the shimmering. Please wait for the 4k version to finish rendering on yt and watch full screen at 4k
2023-3-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

2nd gen OA this is, if you have issues with a Modular model that is totally different I say but you want better and DJI is not listening, what do you think Gopoo is going to say. the same thing

these are  Action cameras not vloggers cameras but we all do our best to use it for everyday use
2023-3-22
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 3-22 07:58
these are  Action cameras not vloggers cameras but we all do our best to use it for everyday use

Action cameras don’t need sharpening to the extent that they record ‘shimmer’ though.

Maybe Osmo are between a rock and a hard place with the update that sharpened it up?

BOTG, are you still around 1% blur to get around the shimmer or do you vary how much? Ie., is it consistent?

2023-3-22
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Turning camera around too fast is the cause, all cameras have it even tv stations
2023-3-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

yeah we do not like cloverfield vids
2023-3-22
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 3-22 07:58
2nd gen OA this is, if you have issues with a Modular model that is totally different I say but you want better and DJI is not listening, what do you think Gopoo is going to say. the same thing

Hero 10 dosnt have these issues. Dji made the camera super sharp to. Offedtbthe soft focus. They went too far.
2023-3-22
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 3-22 08:22
Action cameras don’t need sharpening to the extent that they record ‘shimmer’ though.

Maybe Osmo are between a rock and a hard place with the update that sharpened it up?

Iv been adding 2% blur to try offset it. It softens image but get rid of sharp shimmer.
2023-3-22
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 3-22 09:00
Turning camera around too fast is the cause, all cameras have it even tv stations

Wrong other action cameras don't have this effect we have 2 issues with osmo 3.

Auto exposure is way way too fast.

Camera has had sharpness backed in and it is too high.. Hence small. Objects shimmer. Moving the camera too fast.. Omg there is a difference between motion blur and flickering.. Its an action cam.. Clue is in the name.. Lol.
2023-3-22
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-22 10:21

Motion blur is one thing, flickering is the problem here with panning too fast.
Strange that ALL cameras have this and you still blame OA3, just return it if you are not happy

I don't see the problem with the camera with the two you refer to here, it's probably rather a lack of knowledge.
We are all here to help other users, and debunk if there are issues with a camera or not.
2023-3-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

ah so you're calling the shimmer oversharpening putting a ton of grain, like seeing a ton of Pebbles at the  beach  compared to seeing fine sand    Well  when the Hero 11 jumps back down to $429. maybe I'll  soften over there again but the Heros have that option to adjust  DJI won't they are   Stubborn to  release the control, or better  yer they can not figure out how to add it to the interface Pick one
2023-3-22
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-22 10:21

I think he’s referring to ‘jitter’ when panning at a slow shutter speed.

That looks like too much sharpening though, which is a real pain when you’re going past a load of leaves or trees. I never thought about putting some blur in tbh. Definitely looks better.
2023-3-22
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 3-22 11:09
I think he’s referring to ‘jitter’ when panning at a slow shutter speed.

That looks like too much sharpening though, which is a real pain when you’re going past a load of leaves or trees. I never thought about putting some blur in tbh. Definitely looks better.

Yeah I was thinking about jitter while panning too fast, only "problem" I saw there
2023-3-22
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

BOTG0MTB# Posted at 3-22 06:56
Seem a bit butt hurt. We are trying to improve the osmo.

Also on the sharp front. check this test i did.. look at the railings... shimmering. By adding blur in post it get rid of it, meaning the camera is too sharp... (lower number = more blue) 50 is default straight from the camera.

2023-3-22
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

2023-3-22
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This isn’t appropriate to Action cam video.

BOTG’s problem isn’t judder imo. It’s the sharpening. You can only see it on fine detail. If it was judder, it would be all over the frame.
2023-3-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Sorry I just could not help my self, but its best to  not pick on such detail, just go enjoy the camera

2023-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules