Problems getting LAANC authorization
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OhioDronePerson
lvl.3
Flight distance : 306552 ft
United States

I fly most of my jobs monthly for construction progress documentation.  A couple of them require LAANC and I've never had any trouble getting authorizations, typically within 48 hours.

Last week I submitted requests for this week, and each morning at 8am I get a notice that tomorrow's authorization request was cancelled due to being within 24 hours of requested start time without a response from air traffic.  That is unusual for me, so yesterday I requested a few days for next week.

Then today I got three messages in a row saying next week's requests were denied.  I've never seen a denial, so I'm wondering if anyone knows why they might deny those?  I looked at the web version of the app hoping to find more info but there's not much there.  Other than the dates, all parameters were exactly the same as usual.
2023-3-22
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm not sure this is a DJI issue- I too have seen an increase in LAANC Further Coordination requests timing out and/or being denied, but these were submitted via Aloft. Also, these are for LAANC gid cells with a ceiling of 0 ft AGL, which are always automatically denied initially but open to Further Coordination. Not sure if that is what you are referring to as well or not.
2023-3-22
Use props
OhioDronePerson
lvl.3
United States

Thanks Patiam.  I know this isn't DJI related, I just asked here because I couldn't think who else to ask.  

My requests are also sent through Aloft, and it is a 0 ft AGL cell.  The problem I have is that nothing has changed in my workflow but suddenly I am getting denials.  This would be the eighth monthly flight at that site with no previous issues getting authorization.  The timeouts just made me think I had better start making my requests further in advance.  The denials could cause some more serious issues with our business.

When you have been denied in the past, were you eventually able to get the authorizations by resubmitting?
2023-3-23
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

OhioDronePerson Posted at 3-23 02:58
Thanks Patiam.  I know this isn't DJI related, I just asked here because I couldn't think who else to ask.  

My requests are also sent through Aloft, and it is a 0 ft AGL cell.  The problem I have is that nothing has changed in my workflow but suddenly I am getting denials.  This would be the eighth monthly flight at that site with no previous issues getting authorization.  The timeouts just made me think I had better start making my requests further in advance.  The denials could cause some more serious issues with our business.

Hi OhioDronePerson-

This is very interesting. It may just be coincidental but unrelated, but it sounds like we have similar experiences. For years (since it was introduced) I've had almost zero problems getting authorized via LAANC/Further Coordination up to 200 ft AGL for a particular 0 ft AGL grid cell (the site is @ sea level and the nearby airport is 2-3 miles away but at 250 ft above MSL, so we are flying below the actual elevation of the runway). I think out of a hlaf dozen or more requests I may have had one time out, and the rest were all granted. This was up through the end of 2022. Beginning late last month and into this month, I began experiencing first cancellation due to the requests timing out, and then an outright denial when I submitted 2 weeks or more in advance.

Although we are discouraged from calling ATC regarding these requests, I have a good relationship with the tower at this airport so I called to ask why I was denied, and I was told that they were becoming more conservative and that if I resubmit for 100' AGL it will be approved. I will do as soon as I choose a date with good morning low tides. I'll report back with the results.

I have no idea if this tightening of evaluation criteria is purely local to this airport or more systematic. But it is good to share notes and experiences, so thanks for creating this thread.
2023-3-24
Use props
OhioDronePerson
lvl.3
United States

Thanks again, that's exactly what I was afraid of.  I resubmitted the requests, which were summarily denied again.  I finally read on Aloft's website where it says not to try resubmitting, haha.

I have resubmitted once again with 50' less altitude.  It won't do me any good because there's a crane on site that needs to be avoided, but it may shine some light on the issue at hand.  I'll report back once I get a response.
2023-3-27
Use props
OhioDronePerson
lvl.3
United States

I got approval already for the requests I made this morning, about 5 hours ago.  Looks like the altitude was the problem.  A change has obviously occurred as I was able to verify on Aloft that my previous approvals were at 300' but now can only get permission for 250'.
2023-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules