Wlid Loss of Control
1324 13 2023-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_oR96Z5l2K8Tw
lvl.2
United States

Eager for any feedback on what happened here. This is the second flight after doing the AxisFlying 3.5 upgrade. Had some wiggles at the top of the building, and I thought was wind. Came down to get smoother air and everything went haywire.
   I think I got an ECS warning in the googles at the end but I can't say for sure. I was doing everything I could to get it down in 1 piece. Tried for the parking lot but ended up on top of the parking garage. I killed the throttle completely and still was not descending. Battery went from 57% to critical empty 1% in that time from the first rocking to touchdown.
   None of the wildness is from stick input. Once it started to rock, I just dropped throttle and tried to lightly nudge it left of the street. You can see in the first second where I hit the pause/brakes, but it disengaged almost immediately.
   I'm going to pull it back apart but I'm hoping for suggestions on what to look for once I open it back up, and what to avoid when trying to put it back together.  Thanks in advance for any help.

2023-3-26
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Had a softer version of this behaviour today on my STOCK Avata. It topped out in a wild flyaway with no control at all for many seconds.
I am sure there is a very bad bug in the current firmware which makes the Avata a danger to the pilot and it's surroundings. Maybe the stronger motors lead to more harsh reactions to this erratic studder.
2023-3-26
Use props
djiuser_oR96Z5l2K8Tw
lvl.2
United States

Did you happen to be recording when your mishap occurred? I'd be interested in comparing videos. Thank you for replying
2023-3-26
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Apply stabilization in Final Cut, and the footage will come out great!
2023-3-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We do not recommend using third-party accessories, because we cannot promise their performance, the compatibility of accessories may affect the flight performance and functions of the aircraft. Please try to mount the original parts and check if the issue persists. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-3-27
Use props
Ntduy030190
New
Vietnam

I saw this similar "unstable" problem in some fpv groups on FB in my country. The Avata with Axis 3.5 kit installed could not hold itself stable even in N mode. Beside, people constantly getting "motor overload" warning, so maybe there's problem between the Avata power output and Axis's motors.
2023-3-28
Use props
djiuser_oR96Z5l2K8Tw
lvl.2
United States

Ntduy030190 Posted at 3-28 09:41
I saw this similar "unstable" problem in some fpv groups on FB in my country. The Avata with Axis 3.5 kit installed could not hold itself stable even in N mode. Beside, people constantly getting "motor overload" warning, so maybe there's problem between the Avata power output and Axis's motors.

I had seen the overload myself and was worried it might be the 157s were drawing too much juice, but i also thought it possible the AVATA is just recognizing a higher rpm, and warning on that alone because it knows the stock motors shouldn't be spinning that fast.
The discussion I've seen so far in different forums focuses on the latter. It seems a large group has done the motor only mod and no one mentions the overload warning. Only with the 3.5.
2023-3-28
Use props
djiuser_oR96Z5l2K8Tw
lvl.2
United States

Ntduy030190 Posted at 3-28 09:41

I will note that until my issue started at around 2:11, I had already been up on an earlier flight and had experienced no flight control problems. I highly suspect at this point, it's probably a bad solder job by me. Taking it to a electronics guy hopefully this afternoon and hopefully have a much lower altitude test flight before dark
2023-3-28
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

please share flight logs to investigate - there is really bad wave type of disturbance which just increase in strenght - as drone try to counter it but only make it worse.
2023-3-29
Use props
djiuser_oR96Z5l2K8Tw
lvl.2
United States

KREMi Posted at 3-29 03:30
please share flight logs to investigate - there is really bad wave type of disturbance which just increase in strenght - as drone try to counter it but only make it worse.

https://app.airdata.com/share/oJzTvZ
2023-3-29
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

quite interesting - log is flooded with calibration stick errors
that might also play role here
and quite strong wing with ESC overheating -really not good day to fly ;)

2023-3-29
Use props
AvataBangOnTheDrumsAllDa
lvl.2
United States

KREMi Posted at 3-29 09:23
quite interesting - log is flooded with calibration stick errors
that might also play role here
and quite strong wing with ESC overheating -really not good day to fly ;)

The stick error I've had for months. I've calibrated dozens of times and it always comes back within minutes. Never affects flight, and I've seen quite a few other videos, where it's apparent to me others have the same issues and it seems they ignore it like I eventually started to do.
2023-3-29
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

AvataBangOnTheDrumsAllDa Posted at 3-29 09:41
The stick error I've had for months. I've calibrated dozens of times and it always comes back within minutes. Never affects flight, and I've seen quite a few other videos, where it's apparent to me others have the same issues and it seems they ignore it like I eventually started to do.

but I think that will be reason for DJI to not investigate this case :/ it might cover real problem
can You do warranty claim for this controller?
2023-3-29
Use props
AvataBangOnTheDrumsAllDa
lvl.2
United States

KREMi Posted at 3-29 23:15
but I think that will be reason for DJI to not investigate this case :/ it might cover real problem
can You do warranty claim for this controller?

That's a good point. I've always just treated it as an annoyance, like having all the cords plugged into the googles. But it would be smart to clear that glitch so that if there ever is a more serious calibration issue, that warning can be of help. I've got 50 flights worth of data for them, so I'll heed your advice and see if I can get it resolved with DJI
2023-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules