Arctic Alaska -- In Winter!
912 10 2023-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ben H
lvl.2
United States

DJI says not to fly its drones below 32F. I decided to test that during a photography trip to northern Alaska this winter. I started at -5F and had no problems whatsoever; beginning with a warm battery, there was enough heat generated during flight to keep the battery relatively warm. I gradually moved all the way down to -30F, at which point the batteries were fairly cold when the drone returned and I decided not to press my luck any further. The journey included beautiful winter landscapes, enormous herds of caribou, and other wilderness from around the neighborhood of the arctic circle.  Hope you enjoy the results (link below).
-Ben

2023-4-1
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27904331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Very, very, very, ...
... nice!!!   
2023-4-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6260935 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Absolutely splendid. Did the battery suffer any long-term effects after its ordeal?
2023-4-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Beautiful footage.   
2023-4-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Absolutely beautiful winter views.  Nice that you caught some caribou on the move.  You definitely gave the Mavic 3 and the batteries a good stress test in that weather.  
2023-4-2
Use props
Ben H
lvl.2
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 4-1 23:27
Absolutely splendid. Did the battery suffer any long-term effects after its ordeal?

As far as I can tell, the batteries are just fine.  No bulging and they charge as usual.  I've done photography with LiIon batteries at colder temperatures, so I was mainly concerned about losing power while the drone was in the air.
2023-4-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6260935 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ben H Posted at 4-2 07:18
As far as I can tell, the batteries are just fine.  No bulging and they charge as usual.  I've done photography with LiIon batteries at colder temperatures, so I was mainly concerned about losing power while the drone was in the air.

Glad to know it worked out fine.  I don't think I need worry too much about those temperatures here in the central UK
2023-4-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

STUNNING!!!
2023-4-2
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Some beautiful footage and lots of Caribou.
2023-4-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Beautiful footage!
2023-4-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer