autofocus not engaging mid flight
2234 35 2023-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1240184 ft
Switzerland

so i wanna shoot something up close (especially nice with the f1.7 bokeh) and then fly away and reveal the surroundings with a speed ramp effect in between like i did here:

similar to dronie quick shot.
but unfortunately the focus will never change from the one aquired at the start of the recording resulting in a big blurry mess.
so DJI: will this be fixed? (i am on latest FW btw)

according to a reddit user this same issue is not present in mini 3 (non pro) https://www.reddit.com/r/DJIMini ... ini_3_pro/?sort=new

2023-4-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We will coordinate this to our designated team for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-4-11
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-11 21:22
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We will coordinate this to our designated team for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.

here is another example where the AF was only engaged after the drone came to a stop

2023-4-12
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-12 00:21
here is another example where the AF was only engaged after the drone came to a stop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbf2whK-TRk

Looking at the video I think you need to go slow so AF have enough time to detect where it needs to focus. I never start recording from the ground so cant confirm this but will test this weekend how it deals with AF
2023-4-12
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

AF will not engage no matter how slow u fly backwards. only engages AF after drone stops moving. i get why DJI does that: less AF wobble during recording.

maybe we need some AFS/AFC modes toggle (AFS = how it is currently) and AFC = continuously adjust focus mid flight!
2023-4-12
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-12 01:10
AF will not engage no matter how slow u fly backwards. only engages AF after drone stops flying. i get why DJI does that: less AF wobble during recording.

maybe we need some AFS/AFC modes toggle (AFS = how it is currently) and AFC = continuously adjust focus mid flight!

I'm not sure if I'm giving you the right answer here but I was doing the same mistake think that AF meant Autofocus as in constantly on focus... I was wrong the Autofocus is only on when the picture of the two little mountain are on (infinity)...

Have a look at this video to better understand what I mean. I hope that is what you were asking...

2023-4-12
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

Burt37 Posted at 4-12 01:50
I'm not sure if I'm giving you the right answer here but I was doing the same mistake think that AF meant Autofocus as in constantly on focus... I was wrong the Autofocus is only on when the picture of the two little mountain are on (infinity)...

Have a look at this video to better understand what I mean. I hope that is what you were asking...

you wrote: the Autofocus is only on when the picture of the two little mountain are on (infinity)

this is completely wrong. this is MANUAL focus mode, not autofocus.

2023-4-12
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-12 01:55
you wrote: the Autofocus is only on when the picture of the two little mountain are on (infinity)

this is completely wrong. this is MANUAL focus mode, not autofocus.

Autofocus only apply when you touch the screen... Have a look at the video...
2023-4-12
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

Burt37 Posted at 4-12 01:57
Autofocus only apply when you touch the screen... Have a look at the video...

no it will also autofocus when u stop moving
2023-4-12
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-12 01:58

Mine doesn't. When in AF it only focus on what I touch on the screen...
2023-4-12
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Use manual focus and move the slider to the top until landscape icon appears.
2023-4-12
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Tuxtard Posted at 4-12 02:07

Yes, I have already told him that... And it is also in the video...
2023-4-12
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

Tuxtard Posted at 4-12 02:07

then the grave / shoes or whatever subject is close in the beginning of the shots would be out of focus. since with f1.7 aperture and the sensor size of m3p not everything (far and close) can be in focus at all times. optic principles
2023-4-12
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-12 01:10
AF will not engage no matter how slow u fly backwards. only engages AF after drone stops moving. i get why DJI does that: less AF wobble during recording.

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we double confirm that Autofocus works properly except for the case you mentioned, fly backward?
2023-4-12
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

DJI Wanda Posted at 4-12 02:41
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we double confirm that Autofocus works properly except for the case you mentioned, fly backward?

hey thanks for following up.
the problem is: AF won't CONTINUOUSLY adjust focus while flying away farther.
it's NOT because of direction of flight (backwards forwards or sidewards). rather it comes from the fact that the AF will stay locked on whatever was in focus at the beginning of the recording.

2023-4-12
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

I'm really curious to see what the DJI team will reply to this...
2023-4-12
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-12 02:46
hey thanks for following up.
the problem is: AF won't CONTINUOUSLY adjust focus while flying away farther.
it's NOT because of direction of flight (backwards forwards or sidewards). rather it comes from the fact that the AF will stay locked on whatever was in focus at the beginning of the recording.

Thanks for your reply. We consulted with our engineers.
Here is the response:
During the aircraft ascends to a low altitude, the objects are continuously changing. This unstable condition conveys information to focus and impacts focus accuracy at last.
Therefore, AFC is unable to be triggered in the midst of moving/flying until the aircraft stays stable.
Thank you for your feedback. We will forward it to our related department for evaluation and optimization.
2023-4-13
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

DJI Wanda Posted at 4-13 01:26
Thanks for your reply. We consulted with our engineers.
Here is the response:
During the aircraft ascends to a low altitude, the objects are continuously changing. This unstable condition conveys information to focus and impacts focus accuracy at last.

i see how the engineers chose to play safe here by not activating AF during flight. but maybe an optional AFC mode for smooth adjusting focus while moving would be feasible.
until then i will try manual focus pulling.
2023-4-13
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-13 01:55
i see how the engineers chose to play safe here by not activating AF during flight. but maybe an optional AFC mode for smooth adjusting focus while moving would be feasible.
until then i will try manual focus pulling.

Thanks for your advice. I will transfer it to them together.
2023-4-13
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

2023-4-13
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-12 01:58

same issue in this video:
at 3:39 it refocuses after drone stopped moving. and he 'didn't tap to focus'

reading comments it seems many people are having these focus issues. they take off thinking AF will take care of everything, yet it is not actually focusing automatically if the drone is moving
2023-4-13
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124469 ft
United Kingdom

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-13 07:33
same issue in this video:
at 3:39 it refocuses after drone stopped moving. and he 'didn't tap to focus'

Whatever he said, it looks to me as though there was a focus screen tap at 3:38, judging by the video glitch.
2023-4-13
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

trainee Posted at 4-13 09:11
Whatever he said, it looks to me as though there was a focus screen tap at 3:38, judging by the video glitch.

this is not a video glitch but the AF actually autofocusing coz the drone came to a stop.
2023-4-13
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-13 09:49
this is not a video glitch but the AF actually autofocusing coz the drone came to a stop.

It's certainly a video glitch, whatever has caused it. And if that's what happens every time autofocus kicks in then AF looks like a surefire way to ruin any flight video.
2023-4-13
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

QuickShot - Rocket. Focus...
2023-4-13
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

trainee Posted at 4-13 15:19
It's certainly a video glitch, whatever has caused it. And if that's what happens every time autofocus kicks in then AF looks like a surefire way to ruin any flight video.
fine call it a "glitch" then. it's nothing but the lens focusing tho. and yes such autofocus can ruin a video, that's why DJI choses to engage it so sparely. resulting in many people having out of focus video however
2023-4-13
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-13 21:54
fine call it a "glitch" then. it's nothing but the lens focusing tho. and yes auch autofocus can ruin a video, that's why DJI choses to engage it so sparely. resulting in many people having our of focus video however

Does AF work the same way on other DJI drones? How about other manufacturers' drones? My only other drone was the first Autel Evo which never had a focus issue in the two years I flew it.
2023-4-13
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

trainee Posted at 4-13 23:04
Does AF work the same way on other DJI drones? How about other manufacturers' drones? My only other drone was the first Autel Evo which never had a focus issue in the two years I flew it.

depends on the lens aperture (f1.7 on mini3pro) and the sensor size. since those 2 factors determine 'depth of field' and the need to focus or not. eg mini2 has a smaller sensor and f2.8 (afaik) so they could leave out focusing mechansim alltogether. effectively many chose to go that route too by leaving manual focus on 'infinity'  with their mini3pro. close subjects will be out of focus in each case, less so on mini2 tho
2023-4-14
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-14 00:11
depends on the lens aperture (f1.7 on mini3pro) and the sensor size. since those 2 factors determine 'depth of field' and the need to focus or not. eg mini2 has a smaller sensor and f2.8 (afaik) so they could leave out focusing mechansim alltogether. effectively many chose to go that route too by leaving manual focus on 'infinity'  with their mini3pro. close subjects will be out of focus in each case, less so on mini2 tho

How close will he M3P focus in both modes? In MF infinity mode I think I lose focus at around 6ft.
2023-4-14
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

trainee Posted at 4-14 01:36
How close will he M3P focus in both modes? In MF infinity mode I think I lose focus at around 6ft.

it's subjective anyway: depends at what point u find the image to be soft enough to call it "out of focus". according to dji specs: minimum focus distance is 3.3′ / 1 m.
in both AF and MF u should be able to focus from 1m to infinity.
2023-4-14
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

trainee Posted at 4-14 01:36

btw i just tested today. minimum focus distance is much less than 1m
20230414_192859.jpg
Screenshot_20230414_192954.jpg
2023-4-14
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-14 23:11
btw i just tested today. minimum focus distance is much less than 1m

Thank you! I can see that focus peaking is reporting focus but I would need to see the higher res image to confirm. And you would think that DJI would shout about it if you can focus at 6 inches…
2023-4-15
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

trainee Posted at 4-15 00:46
Thank you! I can see that focus peaking is reporting focus but I would need to see the higher res image to confirm. And you would think that DJI would shout about it if you can focus at 6 inches…

high enough resolution for you?
2023-4-15
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

tazzt0ne Posted at 4-15 02:18
high enough resolution for you?
[view_image]

Ha!… that works. Thanks.
2023-4-15
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

this is a still from 4k video (cropped) while the drone was scarily hovering in front of me with obstacle avoidance turned off.
2023-4-15
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

Drone.Hunter Posted at 4-13 17:49
QuickShot - Rocket. Focus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgQkTllBikI
i tried quickshot dronie yesterday. it does not have AF. rather it has fixed focus on far away things, so if u start very closely to a subject, you can see it is out of focus.
2023-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules