1589 8 2023-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

If they are gonna keep making the camera bigger on the Mavic 3, I'd rather a single full frame sensor.
Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 09.06.25.png
2023-4-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI already have a full-frame camera.
But it weighs nearly as much as the Mavic 3 before you put lenses on it.
https://www.dji.com/au/zenmuse-p1
2023-4-11
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The way things seem to work with DJI is that they'll not release something which will eat into the abilities of the drone above it. The Mavic 3 series has to remain MFT to stay clear of the Inspire 3's likely full frame sensor and not eat into the Inspire 2's Super 35 sensor. The Inspire 2 and 3 are still seriously good filmmaking cameras and DJI can't risk destroying that market with a smaller and more versatile drone.

Give it 4-5 years and no doubt they'll have worked out a way to cram in a larger sensor into the Mavic series, but it's impressive enough to get MFT, especially if the new drone can somehow use MFT for all three lenses. What's more important is getting something like CineDNG for the Mavic series.

All speculation of course, but this is the trend for DJI. Plus, they have to hold some stuff back or they'll run out of things to release!
2023-4-11
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 4-11 08:53
The way things seem to work with DJI is that they'll not release something which will eat into the abilities of the drone above it. The Mavic 3 series has to remain MFT to stay clear of the Inspire 3's likely full frame sensor and not eat into the Inspire 2's Super 35 sensor. The Inspire 2 and 3 are still seriously good filmmaking cameras and DJI can't risk destroying that market with a smaller and more versatile drone.

Give it 4-5 years and no doubt they'll have worked out a way to cram in a larger sensor into the Mavic series, but it's impressive enough to get MFT, especially if the new drone can somehow use MFT for all three lenses. What's more important is getting something like CineDNG for the Mavic series.

I hear you and makes sense to a degree.  Like you said the I2 and I3 are great filmmaking cameras and the those drones are not exactly travel friendly.  Those that are dropping money on an I-series drone have different set of requirements that most likely aren't going to satisfied by a Mavic series, maybe a few but not many.  The I-series has all around better characteristics flight characteristics, dual remotes, interchangeable cameras and lens.  I am looking at it from a traveling, still photography standpoint.  I want the best possible camera for photos that takes decent video and can travel the world with me.  IMO I-series is production grade and make is prosumer/consumer grade.  I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up selling more drones bringing full frame to a photo centric drone.   
2023-4-12
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-11 06:48
DJI already have a full-frame camera.
But it weighs nearly as much as the Mavic 3 before you put lenses on it.
https://www.dji.com/au/zenmuse-p1

the P1 is an industrial focused camera.  most likely overbuilt for its environment,  Surely, DJI can trim it down to make it lighter and with a built in fixed lens it won't be adding additional weight.  
2023-4-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 4-12 04:58
the P1 is an industrial focused camera.  most likely overbuilt for its environment,  Surely, DJI can trim it down to make it lighter and with a built in fixed lens it won't be adding additional weight.

Surely? surely you must be joking. The full-frame sensor DJI uses is made by another supplier, and most likely not one that cares about the weight.
2023-4-12
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3843146 ft
Bulgaria

Expectations that the MAVIC series will ever offer a full-frame sensor are unrealistic. An extremely important characteristic of the Mavic series is a weight of less than 900 grams. This cannot happen with a full frame sensor and a lens that at least approaches the qualities of a kit lens.
What I would be interested in buying my next drone is a better camera. There is a lot of potential for development in the 4/3 form factor. If we see a top SONY sensor in a future MAVIC, I assure you that you will be surprised how much better it can be. If you put a lens on this sensor with the qualities of at least a Canon or Nikon kit lens, you will also see a completely different picture.
Maybe sometime in the future we will see a crop sensor (1.5x) in the Mavic series... maybe...
2023-4-13
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-12 15:13
Surely? surely you must be joking. The full-frame sensor DJI uses is made by another supplier, and most likely not one that cares about the weight.

Wasnt referring to the sensor itself.  Was referring to the beefy over built housing they put said sensor in.  Im sure they can less the weight of the whole unit.  
2023-4-13
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Based on the arrangement of lenses in the picture I first posted the 1" is stacked on top of the MFT.  Im guessing there is some space between the 2 sensors.  Even if there isn't the 2 sensors combined height is almost the height of Full Frame.  Height-wise you could almost fit a FF sensor in the camera they have designed for the M3.  You would have to widen it a bit though.  It would take some engineering but I think it's doable.  APS-C is absolutely doable which would also be a positive step.   I'd sacrifice a little weight to have an aerial FF camera.  I put together a visual aid.  
2023-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules