Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Homeyjay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33606 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Focus problem still exists...
Just bought a brand new Action 3 (delived today), manufactured in March '23 and the focus issue is still here, Very, very disappointed.
Photographed a container 30cm from the camera and its just soft and useless. WTF DJI, I thought this was now 'fixed'?

Action 3 soft focus issue

Action 3 soft focus issue
Action3_sm.jpg
2023-4-16
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Can you post 4K video from outside in good light?

About 30cm, we have debunked it since it is physical impossible to have from 30cm to infinity in focus. But some would like to have 30-40cm in focus and they just adjusted it themself.

2023-4-16
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

my eyes were not looking at eh product but hte whole, it looks good to me,  for me that is
2023-4-16
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Actually, I took some footage this afternoon in bright sunlight with enhanced picture and hdr on. It looked too sharp to me. Particularly in twigs on trees.

The lighting in that jpeg looks a little low and that can cause pics to look less punchy. Happens on GoPros as well. The 30cm focus quoted is a bit optimistic unfortunately.

I wondered whether DJI might dial sharpness back in the next update or give us an option to adjust 'in camera sharpness.' I think that it’s become too sharp or the ‘enhanced’ setting is perhaps doing it?

Does anyone know exactly what 'enhanced' does? DJI says that it extends dynamic range, but does that include more sharpening?
2023-4-17
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Iancraig10 Posted at 4-17 09:35
Actually, I took some footage this afternoon in bright sunlight with enhanced picture and hdr on. It looked too sharp to me. Particularly in twigs on trees.

The lighting in that jpeg looks a little low and that can cause pics to look less punchy. Happens on GoPros as well. The 30cm focus quoted is a bit optimistic unfortunately.

I don't think "enhanced" refers to enhanced sharpening because I only film in 1080p, so I'm not using enhanced quality, and still it's a pure beauty. I am very satisfied with the current sharpness especially on a 227 ppi display.
2023-4-17
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I get ‘frosties’ around twigs. 4k looks like a razor.....
2023-4-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 4-17 10:10
I get ‘frosties’ around twigs. 4k looks like a razor.....

In full screen also?

I see mine is sharp but not too sharp, and I can easily add a little "advanced sharpening" in post to make it better.
2023-4-17
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It’s honestly like a razor on a 4k screen. Twigs have halos. Especially against a blue sky. Never noticed it as much before but today, it was really bright and sunny here so I saw the sharpening very clearly.
2023-4-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Do you have any examples where it is shown?
2023-4-17
Use props
Homeyjay
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 4-17 23:44

They’re 300mb files and I suspect that compressing them to add here will smudge out everything!
2023-4-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Homeyjay. Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for the inconvenience. Kindly ensure that the firmware of the camera is the latest. If it's the same, you may consider sending the device back for further checking. You may submit a repair request at (repair.dji.com) or contact Customer Support at (support.dji.com). We apologize for the inconvenience. Please reach us back here should you have other concerns or inquiries. Thank you.
2023-4-17
Use props
Homeyjay
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

The camera is 3 days old with the latest firmware. Im just waiting for another sunny day so I can film outside but here's a comparison with my Pocket 2.
As you can see, the Pocket 2 is crisp with no fuzziness!
2023-4-18
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

pocket 2 has no fisheye lens  fov is about 90⁰
2023-4-18
Use props
Homeyjay
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Yup, I'm aware of that but I just wanted to show you how blurry it was compared to it while I try and work out how to upload a massive video file so you guys can see!
2023-4-18
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Yes, the OA3 will be blurrier. But when I take (test) photos indoors, I use a tripod and at least 1 or 2 seconds shutter delay. Since the shutter is somewhat difficult to press on the OA3, a slight movement can occur. Using a delay can eliminate that.

Also, when you shoot indoors in auto mode, you will find the ISO will be cranked up to a few hundred or thousand (if you look at the EXIF data). So I always set the ISO to 100, and do a couple of shots using different shutter speeds, say from 1/200 to 2 seconds - based on the EV value reported.

This way at ISO 100 you will have the cleanest shot. But I also found that with longer exposure indoors, the image gets a little sharper (but just a tad). If you take a few shots like I mentioned above with increasing shutter speeds, you will find that with longer exposure the smaller details get a little cleaner.
2023-4-18
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

johansenfoto Posted at 4-17 23:44

I don't use HDR but recently I tried it out. And now I see what Ian was talking about. It's only 1080p but the over sharpening is really bad.

This is a standard frame. No HDR. 1080p. 95% compressed JPG.

And this is HDR 1080p. 95% compressed JPG.

2023-4-21
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Actually the upload does something to the photo because the original frame grab is worse - regarding the over sharpening.

PS: Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread...

2023-4-21
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

Well, i have the same problem, with, oa3+1 my garmin virb xe+ultra 30+360 aka, it's a action cam. will never use, my point and shoot, for sharp focus up close. But they do a job well. Catching everything fast and simple.
2023-4-21
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

Homeyjay Posted at 4-18 00:03
The camera is 3 days old with the latest firmware. Im just waiting for another sunny day so I can film outside but here's a comparison with my Pocket 2.
As you can see, the Pocket 2 is crisp with no fuzziness!
[view_image]

well, do love the up close sharpness, its almost as a phone took that. Still, had that pocked 2 in my thords. But it's no action cam. oa3 is bad at photo, oa1 is super photo. Just were they cut cost, for stabilization i think.
2023-4-21
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 4-21 09:21
I don't use HDR but recently I tried it out. And now I see what Ian was talking about. It's only 1080p but the over sharpening is really bad.

That’s typical of what I’m getting with twigs against the sky on video. I think that it needs rolling back a bit tbh.
2023-4-21
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 4-21 09:21
I don't use HDR but recently I tried it out. And now I see what Ian was talking about. It's only 1080p but the over sharpening is really bad.

Not sure if it is too sharp, but would like to see 4K screenshot, you can upload to imgur
2023-4-21
Use props
djiuser_QroRGCrku3AL
New
Flight distance : 1692343 ft
Italy

Non sembra così male la nitidezza, foto ISO 100-200
dji_mimo_20240116_124452_0_1705405686558_photo.jpg
1-16 03:54
Use props
djiuser_QroRGCrku3AL
New
Flight distance : 1692343 ft
Italy

All' esterno, ero penso a 30 cm o meno
dji_mimo_20240116_125632_0_1705406269525_photo.jpg
1-16 04:05
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

These look really good!
1-16 08:08
Use props
Rusev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 461985 ft
Bulgaria

djiuser_QroRGCrku3AL Posted at 1-16 03:54
Non sembra così male la nitidezza, foto ISO 100-200

Hello, very nice focus! What batch date is your unit?
1-17 11:24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules