Close call!
2582 35 2015-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Hi all,

I Had a close call today.  And what's worse... I never even knew until I got home!

I was flying over an abandoned oil refinery.  (No people. No restrictions.)  I made my turn to return home a bit too late and lost the video feed.  Suddenly I had no visual feedback.  I could no loger see my drone.  I had lost visual contact.  (100% MY fault.)  I no longer had direct control.

I remembered I had programmed the RTH at 100 feet.  I decidded this was my best option under the circumstances...  I pressed the RTH button.  The drone flew home with no issues.  I thhought all was fine.  UNTILL I played back the video...   This is the resulting video:

I consider myself extremely LUCKY.  
"To Err is Human!"

2015-8-23
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

Holy crackers that was crazy close.

Please go to the lottery center and buy a ticket.
2015-8-23
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Wow! l'm glad you got it home safe. That was crazy close.
l had a fairly close encounter myself today, but not as close as yours. Thankfully my spotter was on the ball because l was oblivious.
2015-8-23
Use props
spheasant1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just cleaned MY shorts.   The power line tower was a bit close, but my butt cheeks didn't pucker until you went OVER the lines.....holy crap!
2015-8-23
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

I alway measure the highest object in my sight and set my RTH altitude 50 feet higher than that, while you escaped this time just remember next time and put it on your check list.
2015-8-23
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Ted,  My belief is that the power lines were responsible for your loss of signal more so than the hill. Power lines generate RF signals which reduce the dB from both your transmitter and the one in the Phantom for the video signal back.

DJI lists the transmitter as putting out 20dB, but doesn't mention what the Phantom transmits at. That would be nice to know.

You surely had a horse shoe inserted somewhere.
2015-8-23
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-8-24 08:06
Wow! l'm glad you got it home safe. That was crazy close.
l had a fairly close encounter myself toda ...

CaptiAn oblivious,

I thought I saw you in a commercial today? Hotels.com??
2015-8-23
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

gregg1r Posted at 2015-8-24 08:53
CaptiAn oblivious,

I thought I saw you in a commercial today? Hotels.com??

Haha! Yep, that was me today (minus the beard).
2015-8-23
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Well after watching the video, you were very very lucky as you had the hill too to account for, you would have had a destroyed phantom if it was a tiny bit lower.
2015-8-23
Use props
Pjames
New

United States

what editing program do you use?  
2015-8-23
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

If the control signal was actually lost, wouldnt the bird go onto RTH automatically? No need for operator input. If you lost the video signal and were out of LOS, you may have had control. Possibly could have gained altitude until you could see it.

No Matter that video made my sphincter tighten for sure.  very lucky.
2015-8-23
Use props
ArmoredRevenge
lvl.1

Canada

As a poweline technician all i can say is WOW haha  if you caused a phase to phase or shattered the insulators the utility would have shit a brick. Love the video but remember you can set you failsafe altitude on the fly , so if you loose your phantom in a bad area dont always be so quick to hit that magic button,consult the area, your settings and act according, we all enjoy our drones and we all must work together to ensure we dont get it taken away due to the growing amount of mishaps.
2015-8-23
Use props
joecwilson
New

United States

Nice! I am always scared of this so I have the RTH set to 120m... sometimes that is way too much though
2015-8-23
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Holy Moly that was close..
2015-8-23
Use props
louis.lowveldlu
lvl.2

South Africa

Personnaly for me i would have not consider to fly in that area - to many powerlines. I have prevouisly flown close to powerlins with ease but discovered at one stage that there was also a signal lost. I suspect that it was a bad connectoin on the powerline and almost lost my bird.
I am happy for you my friend - close shave.
2015-8-23
Use props
andreas_kreuz
lvl.2

Germany

The video is great but the soundtrack takes it to another level
2015-8-24
Use props
m.friedl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
Austria

Really well done Man - Thank you for sharing

greetings Mike
2015-8-24
Use props
Slyone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1715308 ft
Hong Kong

Damn that was so close!!!!!
2015-8-24
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

Damn...  That's close.  Thanks for sharing!!

I've hit the 11kv power lines on our rural property once with a hand-launch glider and I can saw for sure that models come of 2nd best when hitting high tension lines...  The model is not heavy enough to cause them to swing & touch, but they're kinda solid, and just hang around in space.
2015-8-24
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Pjames Posted at 2015-8-24 10:02
what editing program do you use?

Final Cut X
2015-8-24
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

ArmoredRevenge Posted at 2015-8-24 11:13
As a poweline technician all i can say is WOW haha  if you caused a phase to phase or shattered the  ...

Wel...  It's fairly unlikely that a 2lb plastic drone would break an insulator or cause a phase to phase short.  I have seen a 10 pound vulture with a 5 foot wingspan sit on those wires.    But I suppose anything is possible.

I was lucky.
2015-8-24
Use props
aaron.ferguson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1641752 ft
United Kingdom

I think this sort of incident reinforces the importance of establishing a flight plan - a key part of which is a site survey ensuring avoidance of hazards (and not flying behind obstacles!) and a clear RTH path.
2015-8-24
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Rigworker Posted at 2015-8-24 10:49
If the control signal was actually lost, wouldnt the bird go onto RTH automatically? No need for ope ...

I think it was still getting an intermittent signal.  Just enough to prevent the automatic RTH from happening.  

Since I could not see the drone I had no idea where it was.  For all I knew it had already crashed into the hill.

In retrospect... I probably should have just tried to climb higher instead of pressing RTH.  Altitude is your friend in that situation.
2015-8-24
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

aaron.ferguson@ Posted at 2015-8-25 00:22
I think this sort of incident reinforces the importance of establishing a flight plan - a key part o ...

Agreed.

My intention was to fly out. turn 180 and fly back over clear area.  My turn was to slow.  I ended up drifting behind the hill and loosing control.  It was bad planning.

Not going to happen again.
2015-8-24
Use props
Nickww
lvl.1

United States

That was awesome. You are the luckiest sucker I have ever seen. Talk about threading the needle.
2015-8-24
Use props
sharper4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 767379 ft
United States

Very lucky indeed.  Nice video.
2015-8-24
Use props
ArmoredRevenge
lvl.1

Canada

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-8-25 00:21
Wel...  It's fairly unlikely that a 2lb plastic drone would break an insulator or cause a phase to ...

Sorry i should clarify i didn't mean break the insulator as in apart causing the conductor to fall. i meant the glass which is the most important part and makes the whole insulated from ground  thing work, a nut dropped from as little as a foot can spell disaster for a bell.

As for a 40kV short, the  safe working limits of approach  is around 1350mm. So with that new knowledge please know that had your drone got in between phases its a high possibility there would have been a flash over....but hey I cant say i am 100 percent certain, if you would like to prove me wrong please send video....just kidding.
2015-8-30
Use props
Sling Shot
lvl.3

United States

Video removed....booooooo!!
2015-8-31
Use props
Mikey14
lvl.3

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-8-24 09:32
Agreed.

My intention was to fly out. turn 180 and fly back over clear area.  My turn was to slow. ...

Yea, Why was it removed?
2015-8-31
Use props
m.friedl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
Austria

@Fulgerite,

Could you please give us the Video back again ?

it´s a perfect Example to show others what could happen and how to prevent from such Events.

please give us access to your Video again.

Mike
2015-9-1
Use props
QECadmin
lvl.3

United States

Hmm...video removed
2015-9-1
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Yeah interesting !?!?!  OP what happened, why did you remove the video ?
2015-9-1
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Not very interested in having LADWP come after me...  Break my door down and arrest me... For?  A near miss.
2015-9-1
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-9-1 22:39
Not very interested in having LADWP come after me...  Break my door down and arrest me... For?  A ne ...

Good call, i guess we all need to go underground and share our videos in the darknet, here i come TOR.
2015-9-1
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14915856 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Interesting

Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 20.58.53.png
2015-10-20
Use props
GTDrone