Auto exposure video: is this the intended behaviour?
995 6 2023-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Palliativo
lvl.3

Taiwan

Hi all
I noted this behaviour in few occasions:

I am filming with AUTO settings at 24 fps, the ND64 filter placed the shutter speed in the region of 1/50-1/60, which was the correct EV exposure. However sometimes I turned the drone towards darker areas (the cliff of a mountain for example) and the camera gathered more light by lowering the shutter speed to 1/25.

I wonder why this happens, would not it be much better to limit the shutter speed at double the frame rate and gain that extra stop by increasing ISO?
Also, it would be nice to see on the RC in real-time which settings the AUTO program is choosing, so that I could amend manually if needed.

2023-4-19
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Shoot in manual mode.
2023-4-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is normal.  Use manual settings.  
2023-4-19
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

If you're turning to drone from a "bright" area to a "dark" area. You'll need to use it in Auto.
Switching to manual isn't going to help, unless you alter the exposure settings with your third hand as you're flying.

Try it without ND filters, unless you're low to the ground and must insist of having motion blur, because you're being "creative".
2023-4-19
Use props
Palliativo
lvl.3

Taiwan

MS Posted at 4-19 23:35
If you're turning to drone from a "bright" area to a "dark" area. You'll need to use it in Auto.
Switching to manual isn't going to help, unless you alter the exposure settings with your third hand as you're flying.

Thanks for all replies.
It has nothing to do with "insisting of being 'creative' ", the absence of motion blur in a motion picture is simply appalling.
2023-4-20
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Palliativo Posted at 4-20 01:12
Thanks for all replies.
It has nothing to do with "insisting of being 'creative' ", the absence of motion blur in a motion picture is simply appalling.

Use manual mode, set the shutter speed to the desired value, set the ISO to automatic mode and everything will be fine. You can tweak the EV again (but I don't remember)
2023-4-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Palliativo. Thank you for reaching out. This is normal since the "Auto" mode will make and keep the screen brighter, so if under a darker environment, it will lower the shutter speed to obtain more light, if increase the ISO, it will make the image noisier, and this is default adjust logic in "Auto" mode, you cannot adjust the ISO and shutter, which only can set EV data if you want to adjust these camera parameters manually, it is highly suggested to use "M" mode so that you can set ISO and shutter. Hope this helps. Thank you for your support.
2023-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules