Feature request
590 5 2023-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_RlPRdF57TZAU
lvl.1
Flight distance : 89629 ft
United Kingdom

Hello, I have recently purchased the DJI RC controller to replace my N1 controller for my Air 2s, as my phone cost more than the whole drone and accessories combined and I wanted to stop having to use my phone in my drone set up. I notice that the DJI RC does not allow 3rd party apps to be installed. While I do understand the reasons you would maybe choose to block this feature, it has created a safety issue for all DJI RC uses. When I was using my phone as the screen for my N1 controller, I also had Drone Assist UK installed and use it to set up preflight plans and also to turn  on the “enable air space alerts” feature which (when using my phone with the N1) I would get alerts on my screen of other aircrafts or hazard entering my fly zone. With out drone assist installed on the DJI RC, it means I have to take my hands off the drone controller and also look away from the Carmela view in order to check what alert may have come through on my phone… and that’s even if I notice the alert while concentrating on flying. This is really unsafe and goes against your own safety advice features in your online safety literature.

Is it possible for apps like drone assist uk (and maybe a reliable weather app with alerts such as CIime or Windy.app) to be installed… maybe even pre installed on the DJI RC, so that we get alerts on the screen we are actually using during flights?

You could argue that the Fly Spot feature of this app offers these features, but the honest fact of the matter is, it’s not as good as the Drone Assist UK  with regards to showing flighty Hazards in the UK… there are airports and military basis that Fly Spots does not show on its map and the Drone Assist app not only picks them up, but provides info on the Hazard and in some cases a contact number or website to request authorisation to fly there.

The bottom line is, right now I am far safer using my phone and N1 controller than the DJI RC and so far the RC has been a waste of money.

I love the drone, and for the money, the DJI RC feels ok and the screen looks good.

Ps. Also for future DJi RC runs, the joy sticks could do with a little more resistance too. They feel much better on the N1 controller. They are too light on the DJI RC and don’t give enough resistance.

Thanks

Kind regards

D
2023-4-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They sell the RC Pro for people that want to run apps.  I’d just use your phone if you need to check drone assist etc.
2023-4-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will be definitely cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-4-25
Use props
djiuser_RlPRdF57TZAU
lvl.1
Flight distance : 89629 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-25 22:26
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will be definitely cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks for the speedy response, I can see that the topic of 3rd party apps is being discussed in several threads and proper are trying to find ways around it. For me personally I am not interested in jail breaking the RC or doing “work arounds” that could disrupt the rest of the RCs functions. I just want to have access to the same level of safety for myself and others when flying, regardless of which DJI controller I use.

Thanks
2023-4-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_RlPRdF57TZAU Posted at 4-26 02:26
Thanks for the speedy response, I can see that the topic of 3rd party apps is being discussed in several threads and proper are trying to find ways around it. For me personally I am not interested in jail breaking the RC or doing “work arounds” that could disrupt the rest of the RCs functions. I just want to have access to the same level of safety for myself and others when flying, regardless of which DJI controller I use.

Thanks

We totally understand your request. We will surely take note of this. Please be advised that after the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-4-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The DJI RC has limited resources, because of this,  adding 3rd party apps may never happen. By no means does it make the purchase a waste of money because its far better to use the screens on the RC than the N1 and ya phone, its brighter and will not dim unlike phones do after a short period,  you will get used to the sticks or buy the cheap add-ons for the sticks. Also, it's much more convenient and a faster launch time.

You are, however, always going to have your phone with you so ya might just as well carry on with that for your preflight stuff.
2023-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules