Mini 3 zoom?
2988 13 2023-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
open range
lvl.1

United States

Hi, I understand the camera lens focal length on the mini 3 is equivalent to 24mm on a 35 mm camera. If the camera set to Zoomx2 would that then be equal to 48mm focal length?

Thanks in advance for confirmation of this
2023-4-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for bringing this query to us. The DJI Mini 3 is using the digital zoom function which will not affect the focal length. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-4-25
Use props
open range
lvl.1

United States

Hi and thank you for your reply.  I did not ask my question clearly.

I need to match 3D CGI generated buildings into photos shot with mini 3. To do that I need to know the focal length the photo was taken at.

For no zoom the focal length is 24mm. That’s fine. Hiwever that is a wide angle and makes thinks appear smaller. For 3D architectural visualization we use a 45 mm focal length or close to that.

When using a photo from the mini 3 at zoomx2 that may not be changing the physical optics of the mini 3 camera lens but it is simulating that the focal length has been “zoomed”.

My question -  Is that simulated digital zoomx2 producing a photo that would be the same as if It was shot with a 48mm lens? (24mm x 2= 48mm)

This is important for us to know. Thanks!
2023-4-26
Use props
open range
lvl.1

United States

open range Posted at 4-26 04:16

I need to match 3D CGI generated buildings into photos shot with mini 3. To do that I need to know the focal length the photo was taken at.

IOW
mini 3 with no zoom = 24 mm equivalent
mini 3 with  2x zoom  = ?? mm equivalent ?

Thanks!

2023-4-26
Use props
open range
lvl.1

United States

Bumping this back up. Is there no way to get an answer to this question.
2023-4-29
Use props
fansd0c4265d
New

Brazil

open range Posted at 4-26 04:16

Hi, I understood your question. I have this model. The answer is no! It keeps 24mm even on 2x. It isn't 48mm! It just crops the image to become 2x, it doesn't change the focal length.
2023-8-27
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansd0c4265d Posted at 8-27 06:09
Hi, I understood your question. I have this model. The answer is no! It keeps 24mm even on 2x. It isn't 48mm! It just crops the image to become 2x, it doesn't change the focal length.

Agreed.
It’s more a digital zoom
2023-8-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansd0c4265d Posted at 8-27 06:09
Hi, I understood your question. I have this model. The answer is no! It keeps 24mm even on 2x. It isn't 48mm! It just crops the image to become 2x, it doesn't change the focal length.

Hi, I understood your question
No you didn't, despite it being explained twice.
2023-8-27
Use props
djiuser_5pQk7t5hUv21
New

United States

Thanks. I 100% know the difference between optical and digital zoom. I 100% undestand the mini3 uses 24 mm optical lens and any zoom is digital.

My question was  - does the 2x digital zoom  create  an image that is  the equivalent width x height as if taken with a 48 mm optical lens.

No one, including dji tech support could answer this.

Now that I have the drone I find that when using the controller  and then to zoom 2x, on the controller display it shows it as 48 mm.

So the answer is YES. The 2x digital zoom is “simulating” a 48 mm focal length .
2023-8-27
Use props
djiuser_5pQk7t5hUv21
New

United States

For some reason I could not log in w my original account. Used log in thru google and the system created a new account for me. Now I have two accounts. Sheeesh.

The post above is from th OP
2023-8-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_5pQk7t5hUv21 Posted at 8-27 07:42
For some reason I could not log in w my original account. Used log in thru google and the system created a new account for me. Now I have two accounts. Sheeesh.

The post above is from th OP

Hello there. Are you able to retrieve the original account? If you need further assistance, please reach back or you can contact our live support at https://www.dji.com/support. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-28
Use props
djiuser_k7ZeFIcxxkdx
New

Portugal

djiuser_5pQk7t5hUv21 Posted at 8-27 07:32
Thanks. I 100% know the difference between optical and digital zoom. I 100% undestand the mini3 uses 24 mm optical lens and any zoom is digital.

My question was  - does the 2x digital zoom  create  an image that is  the equivalent width x height as if taken with a 48 mm optical lens.

But the answer was given above.
The focal length won't change.
There is an "AI" attempt to give you a closer view of the subject, while keeping the same focal lenght.
It was the equivalent of moving closer to the subject, while keeping the same focal length.
2023-12-10
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 705974 ft
Canada

I can't believe people don't understand what you're asking. What you're asking about is the angle of view change. Sure the focal length doesn't change, but at 2x zoom, is the angle of view cut in half?
At 2X you will have half the width and the height of the full frame picture.
You can test this by hovering over an area where you know the measurements below, or have an observer mark the limits of your frame on the ground at full frame and 2x - take pictures and have your observer measure the distance between the ground points.

All else being equal, your angle of view should be cut in half, so if the full frame setting is 82 degrees, the 2x field of view should be 41 degrees.

You can use an online trigonometry calculator to calculate the coverage at the ground for a given height and angle of view.
2023-12-10
Use props
Palliativo
lvl.3

Thailand

djiuser_k7ZeFIcxxkdx Posted at 12-10 07:05
But the answer was given above.
The focal length won't change.
There is an "AI" attempt to give you a closer view of the subject, while keeping the same focal lenght.

not at all "the equivalent of moving closer to the subject, while keeping the same focal length".  That would change perspective.

Zooming in digitally has the same effect as zooming in optically, so the result is a photo with a longer "equivalent" focal length, to put it in layman terms.  
2023-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules