HDMI out from Ronin 4D into SmallHD not working properly
1315 12 2023-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimelliott
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi. Recently purchased a 4D. I was hoping to run a smallHD indie or 702 alongside the normal monitor using the HDMI out. Unfortunately, it only sometimes works. I have tried 3 different cables now and with each one sometimes the SmallHD just receives no signal. I try changing from 6k to 2k, turning on/off, and swapping the cable end round. It might start working again, but soon enough it will just go black again, saying no signal.....
2023-4-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. We are sorry for the inconvenience. We will consult your issue with our engineers.
2023-4-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Our engineers would like to know more information about your issue
1. What is your monitor? Please tell us its exact model.
Could you please record the issue for us?
2. How about other monitors? Does the issue occur as well?
3. HDMI output on DJI Ronin 4D will adjust the output portion on the basis of recording codec, resolution and frame rate. Would you please tell us your settings?
2023-5-1
Use props
jimelliott
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-1 02:36
Hello, there. Our engineers would like to know more information about your issue
1. What is your monitor? Please tell us its exact model.
Could you please record the issue for us?

I will try and record the issue later, but as it is intermittent it’s not easy.
I am using a SmallHD Indie 7” and a SmallHD 702 touch. The same problem occurs on both. They were on firmware 5.2.1 but have updated to latest firmware, still have the problem.
Ronin 4d is also updated to latest firmware.
Also tried 3 cables.
I have noticed that when switching to ProRes 4444hq there is no output to the monitor, guaranteed. I can record this for you?? When switching back to ProRes 422 HQ or LT, it’s mostly fine but sometimes not (especially on HQ)
2023-5-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

jimelliott Posted at 5-1 02:41
I will try and record the issue later, but as it is intermittent it’s not easy.
I am using a SmallHD Indie 7” and a SmallHD 702 touch. The same problem occurs on both. They were on firmware 5.2.1 but have updated to latest firmware, still have the problem.
Ronin 4d is also updated to latest firmware.

Thank you so much in advance. We will copy your information and transfer it to our engineers first.
2023-5-1
Use props
jimelliott
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-1 04:03
Thank you so much in advance. We will copy your information and transfer it to our engineers first.

Here’s a link to a video I made - https://youtu.be/cT2Sp0d_p8U

You can see the hdmi output just doesn’t seem to work when codec is ProRes 4444xq. But I was also having intermittent problems when the codec was setting to 422hq and even 442lt, although I couldn’t replicate that in this video. Since updating the smallhd monitor firmware it seems to be more stable in those lower codecs like 422hq, but it still has sometimes received no signal
2023-5-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

jimelliott Posted at 5-1 06:48
Here’s a link to a video I made - https://youtu.be/cT2Sp0d_p8U

You can see the hdmi output just doesn’t seem to work when codec is ProRes 4444xq. But I was also having intermittent problems when the codec was setting to 422hq and even 442lt, although I couldn’t replicate that in this video. Since updating the smallhd monitor firmware it seems to be more stable in those lower codecs like 422hq, but it still has sometimes received no signal

Thank you. I will add this information.
2023-5-2
Use props
jimelliott
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Here’s another video where it’s not working in proresHQ. I turned the camera on with the hdmi already plugged in and there was no signal - https://youtu.be/x18dornYVtA
2023-5-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. We got the response from our engineers.
1. Under ProRes 4444HQ, it is normal that no output from HDMI. It is a firmware restriction and we currently have no way to bypass that.
2. Please cross-examine the output condition under other modes.
You can connect the DJI Ronin 4D outport to other HDMI ports, for instance, TV,  to test whether the output is normal.Or otherwise, you can connect other HDMI Output sources to the monitor, and confirm whether there is a video feed.

2023-5-4
Use props
jimelliott
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-4 03:02
Hello, there. We got the response from our engineers.
1. Under ProRes 4444XQ, it is normal that no output from HDMI. It is a firmware restriction and we currently have no way to bypass that.
2. Please cross-examine the output condition under other modes.

Ok, I didn’t know that about 4444xq. But it doesn’t really explain why, as in the last link I sent, sometimes there is no output to the monitor when on prores 44hq, for example.
“2. Please cross-examine the output condition under other modes.” - I have, there is a video above where it is not working in 442hq

“You can connect to other HDMI ports on the DJI
Ronin 4D to test whether the output is normal.” - the 4D only has 1 HDMI port??

“Or otherwise, you can connect other HDMI
Output sources to the monitor to confirm whether there is a video feed.” - I’ve already tried on 2 monitors on 2 different firmwares and had the same results

Don’t really understand the whole of the 2nd half of this response lol
2023-5-5
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

jimelliott Posted at 5-5 12:24
Ok, I didn’t know that about 4444xq. But it doesn’t really explain why, as in the last link I sent, sometimes there is no output to the monitor when on prores 44hq, for example.
“2. Please cross-examine the output condition under other modes.” - I have, there is a video above where it is not working in 442hq

Sorry for the late response. We confirmed with the engineer and edited the post.
Would you please check and tell us your feedback?
2023-5-6
Use props
jimelliott
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 5-6 04:38
Sorry for the late response. We confirmed with the engineer and edited the post.
Would you please check and tell us your feedback?

Ok. I only have these 2 monitors and both seem to have this same issue with the 4d. It seems to be more of a problem if I turn on the 4d with the monitor already plugged in (better if I plug in the monitor when 4d is already on) - but that’s not very practical.

I use both of these monitors twice a week for about 3 years and have never had a single problem

I tried plugging the 4d to a laptop and tv and didn’t get a signal but not sure I would anyway to be honest
2023-5-6
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

jimelliott Posted at 5-6 06:52
Ok. I only have these 2 monitors and both seem to have this same issue with the 4d. It seems to be more of a problem if I turn on the 4d with the monitor already plugged in (better if I plug in the monitor when 4d is already on) - but that’s not very practical.

I use both of these monitors twice a week for about 3 years and have never had a single problem

Got it. I have told them. We are waiting for their further response.  
2023-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules