12Next >
2700 45 2023-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Flight distance : 728520 ft
Canada

Has anyone else noticed that there is distortion when filming video? Look at the boats.  They get longer depending on the angle.  Very disappointed.  The original footage was recorded in 3840x2160 and rendered the same resolution.  

2023-4-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Boats get longer depending on the angle?   What angle?
I'm not sure what you mean and I can't see any distortion.
Can you explain better?  
Maybe some marked-up screenshots would help?
2023-4-30
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

Labroides Posted at 4-30 07:13
Boats get longer depending on the angle?   What angle?
I'm not sure what you mean and I can't see any distortion.
Can you explain better?  

I'll do my best.  If the drone is perpendicular to the boats they look fine, but as the drone slides down to the left and the boats are coming from the bottom left to the top right, they are elongate.  The look like someone stretched them.  I'm thinking it's something in the rendering as I can't imagine DJI doing something so stupid.  I'm using Davinci Resolve.  
2023-04-30 12_24_54-Setting Day - Tignish - YouTube.jpg
2023-4-30
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

I think what you are referring to is the distortion caused by the wideangle lens in the Mavic 3.
This has nothing to do with the rendering or DJI doing stupid things.
It is a typical and unavoidable phenomena when using wide angle lenses - objects in the edges will look "stretched", more so the closer the object is.
There's nothing you or DJI can do about it.
2023-4-30
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

ArcticPhoto Posted at 4-30 08:24
I think what you are referring to is the distortion caused by the wideangle lens in the Mavic 3.
This has nothing to do with the rendering or DJI doing stupid things.
It is a typical and unavoidable phenomena when using wide angle lenses - objects in the edges will look "stretched", more so the closer the object is.

I will have to disagree.  I had never had any distortion in the Mavic 2 Pro.  This is not an add-on lens.  This is the drone out of the box.  There is nothing that I can find that says the lens that comes with the Mavic 3 classic.  You can buy a wide angle lens.  But I didn't.  
2023-4-30
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

The lens in the Mavic 3 is a wideangle lens, with a 84 degrees field of view.
Like most wide angle lenses it is constructed to produce what is known as a "rectilinear" image.
This means that straight lines are kept more or less straight in the final image, rather than being bent and distorted.
But with these types of lenses, subjects near the edge of the frame tend to be stretched unnaturally.
This is typical of wide angle lenses, and is a result of the optical design.

The Mavic 2 Pro has a different lens, with a 77 degrees field of view. Not so wide angle, in other words.
That is why the distortion is less pronounced in the Mavic 2 Pro.
2023-4-30
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

ArcticPhoto Posted at 4-30 09:42
The lens in the Mavic 3 is a wideangle lens, with a 84 degrees field of view.
Like most wide angle lenses it is constructed to produce what is known as a "rectilinear" image.
This means that straight lines are kept more or less straight in the final image, rather than being bent and distorted.

Thanks for the clarification.  For my filming, that's pretty useless to me as I am often filming more than objects in the center of the frame.  
2023-4-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

goalie.brent Posted at 4-30 09:04
I will have to disagree.  I had never had any distortion in the Mavic 2 Pro.  This is not an add-on lens.  This is the drone out of the box.  There is nothing that I can find that says the lens that comes with the Mavic 3 classic.  You can buy a wide angle lens.  But I didn't.

I will have to disagree.  
You might disagree, but it's clear that you haven't got much experience in photography.
What Arctic said was completely correct.
What you are complaining about is the way any wide angle lens (even the most expensive ones) distorts perspective.

I had never had any distortion in the Mavic 2 Pro.
Your Mavic 2 pro would have given almost the same result, only slightly less as its lens has a slightly smaller angle of view.  

This is not an add-on lens.  This is the drone out of the box.  There is nothing that I can find that says the lens that comes with the Mavic 3 classic.  You can buy a wide angle lens.  But I didn't.
The standard lenses of the Mavic 2 pro and Mavic 3 are both wideangle lenses.
They have a wider field of view than your eyes do.
You are confused by an accessory that can give an even wider field of view.

For my filming, that's pretty useless to me as I am often filming more than objects in the center of the frame.
It's not useless at all.
You just need to get more experience in using your drone.
FWIW, that video looked quite good.

2023-4-30
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

Labroides Posted at 4-30 16:23
I will have to disagree.  
You might disagree, but it's clear that you haven't got much experience in photography.
What Arctic said was completely correct.

Well unfortunately it is what it is. This is the first drone (I've flown 7 different Dji drones, and Autel) I've had that has had that kind of distortion.  I guess you are not as particular as me.  
2023-4-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

goalie.brent Posted at 4-30 16:35
Well unfortunately it is what it is. This is the first drone (I've flown 7 different Dji drones, and Autel) I've had that has had that kind of distortion.  I guess you are not as particular as me.

This is the first drone (I've flown 7 different Dji drones, and Autel) I've had that has had that kind of distortion.
That's complete nonsense, all your other drones would give similar results.
You can't have looked closely at the output from your other drones if this is the first time you've noticed it.

Your comments give away the fact that you have very little understanding of photographic basics.
There's nothing wrong with the video.

I guess you are not as particular as me.  

No .. I'm probably more particular than you about my work.

But I understand photographic lenses a lot better than you do.
All photographic lenses apart from "standard" lenses exaggerate perspective.
Wideangle lenses make things look further away and tele lenses pull things in closer.
With a wideangle lens (like all your drones have), objects further from the camera will look smaller than closer objects.
It's called perspective.
Get used to it because it's all around you.

2023-4-30
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

For what it's worth, it isn't noticeable if you're not looking for it. The effect is a lot more pronounced in other circumstances as others have said, and can be used to good effect if you want (a car or a train rushing by...or a line of boats in a canal ;)). So the good news is that there's nothing wrong with your lens. Your investment in the drone is safe.
2023-4-30
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

I was very happy, in thinking that those boats had different length... (until you mention the fact that they were not)... One thing I would probably change is the light...
2023-4-30
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 4-30 17:08
This is the first drone (I've flown 7 different Dji drones, and Autel) I've had that has had that kind of distortion.
You can't have looked closely at the output from your other drones if this is the first time you've noticed it.

Is this what you are calling, helping people? It sounds a lot more like a confrontational argument than anything else...

And why do you need to highlight in blue every damn single sentence... That is what a primary school teacher would do to correct homework in year 1...

I get it. You feel superior, but to what end???

Just an observation mate... Do continue please...

2023-4-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Burt37 Posted at 4-30 20:40
Is this what you are calling, helping people? It sounds a lot more like a confrontational argument than anything else...

And why do you need to highlight in blue every damn single sentence... That is what a primary school teacher would do to correct homework in year 1...

Yes .. I was attempting to help the OP.
If you read the thread, you'd see that the OP was given clear explanations for what he asked about by two members, but doesn't understand or believe what he's been told.
I was a little more blunt in my last reply in an attempt to get the message through after the simple approach didn't work.

Look again and you'd see that I don't highlight in blue every damn single sentence.
I highlight and italicise each point that I'm responding to.
Differentiating who said what makes the post clearer to those reading it.

I get it. You feel superior, but to what end???
You don't get it.
I was just giving the OP what he asked for.
He didn't understand and I do.
If those answering questions don't know themselves, the forum isn't going to help anyone.
Why do you feel you are the moral adjudicator around here?

Just an observation mate... Do continue please...
Thanks for what sounded like a rather confrontational "observation".

2023-4-30
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 4-30 21:27
Yes .. I was attempting to help the OP.
If you read the thread, you'd see that the OP was given clear explanations for what he asked about by two members, but doesn't understand or believe what he's been told.

It is like try to teach a horse to drink with you...

Post n7 by ArticPhoto is a perfect example of how to write a reply to help someone to understand something.

Your post n.10 is just horsesh1te. A failing to help, because of your attitude... let me see.. You wrote:

"You might disagree, but it's clear that you haven't got much experience in photography"
"You are confused by an accessory that can give an even wider field of view."
"You just need to get more experience in using your drone."
"Your comments give away the fact that you have very little understanding of photographic basics."
"No .. I'm probably more particular than you about my work."
"But I understand photographic lenses a lot better than you do."
"Get used to it because it's all around you."
"I was a little more blunt in my last reply in an attempt to get the message through after the simple approach didn't work."
"Differentiating who said what makes the post clearer to those reading it."
"You don't get it."
"I was just giving the OP what he asked for."
"He didn't understand and I do."
"If those answering questions don't know themselves, the forum isn't going to help anyone."
"Why do you feel you are the moral adjudicator around here?"
"Thanks for what sounded like a rather confrontational "observation"."

Are old are you, really???  Your parents must be so proud of you...

I guess there is no teaching manners to the master of the universe...

PS. I hope you appreciate the blue italic text, so that you don't get confused on what I wrote compared to what you wrote...
2023-4-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Burt37 Posted at 4-30 22:33

Post n7 by ArticPhoto is a perfect example of how to write a reply to help someone to understand something.

I very much doubt that you have anything to teach me.

It was a good post, but the OP went away not believing a word of it - or didn't you notice that?

Your post n.10 is just horsesh1te.
That's a good description for everything you've written in this thread.

A failing to help, because of your attitude... let me see.. You wrote:
What I wrote was entirely factual and good information.

I guess there is no teaching manners to the master of the universe...
You are unnecessarily confrontational in your peurile attempt to school me in your interpretation of manners and assumption that you are somehow superior to me and need to tell me what to do.
You've also hijacked this thread.
Now Karen, do something useful and go away.

2023-5-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 5-1 00:09
I very much doubt that you have anything to teach me.

Interesting...

So, you like to sell it, but you don't like to buy it...

This thread was finish at post n.9 where the OP did say thanks ArticPhoto for his explanation....
Have you noticed that the OP did not say thank you to you... (hint.. hint..)

Now Keyboard warrior, I'm really sorry that instead of apologising for behaving like a brat, you kept going on and insulted me as well. Lucky for you, being an ankle biter, I sincerely doubt that anyone will ever take you seriously. One day however, you will need to get a real job... Ouch...

PS. I didn't need to use the blue italic text this time, as you didn't really say anything worth quoting...

Going out for dinner. Talk to you tomorrow darling...
2023-5-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Burt37 Posted at 5-1 00:36
Interesting...

You are the one tcame in with your aggressive trolling under the pretense of teaching ettiquette.

This thread was finish at post n.9 where the OP did say thanks ArticPhoto for his explanation....
I noticed that the OP, due to his very poor understanding of anything related to photographic lenses,went away from the encounter thinking his drone was defective and useless to him.
I tried to correct that misapprension.

2023-5-1
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

Labroides Posted at 4-30 17:08

I have no doubt you understand photographic lenses better than I do.  I will concede after watching previous videos there is some minor distortion.  But I'm telling you this is the first DJI drone I've owned that has this much distortion.  I've been filming boats and harbours for years and this is the first drone that has had noticeable distortion.  Perhaps the others did as well, but it is definitely not noticeable.  I could show you dozens of videos, but here are two. As you say, I guess it is something I will have to get used to.  Thanks for your input.

2023-5-1
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

Burt37 Posted at 4-30 20:31
I was very happy, in thinking that those boats had different length... (until you mention the fact that they were not)... One thing I would probably change is the light...

Sorry I pointed out the cigar boats.  lol  Curious what aspect of the lighting would you change.  I like the darker images that show the contrast of the rising sun, and the lighter images when the sun is at the drones back.  I am interested to hear your opinion though.  Thanks.
2023-5-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

goalie.brent Posted at 5-1 02:56
I have no doubt you understand photographic lenses better than I do.  I will concede after watching previous videos there is some minor distortion.  But I'm telling you this is the first DJI drone I've owned that has this much distortion.  I've been filming boats and harbours for years and this is the first drone that has had noticeable distortion.  Perhaps the others did as well, but it is definitely not noticeable.  I could show you dozens of videos, but here are two. As you say, I guess it is something I will have to get used to.  Thanks for your input.

Lets start again.
Here's a quick summary of how wideangle lenses exaggerate perspective.
Objects close to the lens appear abnormally large relative to more distant objects, and distant objects appear abnormally small and hence farther away – distances are extended.

I've been filming boats and harbours for years and this is the first drone that has had noticeable distortion.  Perhaps the others did as well, but it is definitely not noticeable.  I could show you dozens of videos, but here are two.The degree of perspective exaggeration will depend on how close the objects are to the camera.
Have you shot video with movement across the frame and going further from to the camera?
When your subjects are far from the lens and approximately the same  distance from the lens like the examples you posted above, the effect  would be negligible.

I've watched your video 15 times and can't see anything about it that's the least bit jarring.
You did a good job of capturing the atmosphere and action of Setting Day.

In  your video example,

with the drone moving closer to the boats, the apparent length increases as the drone gets closer to the boat.

2023-5-1
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

Labroides Posted at 5-1 05:57
Lets start again.
Here's a quick summary of how wideangle lenses exaggerate perspective.
Objects close to the lens appear abnormally large relative to more distant objects, and distant objects appear abnormally small and hence farther away – distances are extended.

Thanks, but you don't own one of the boats.  lol  I will definitely have to adjust.
2023-5-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

goalie.brent Posted at 5-1 02:59
Sorry I pointed out the cigar boats.  lol  Curious what aspect of the lighting would you change.  I like the darker images that show the contrast of the rising sun, and the lighter images when the sun is at the drones back.  I am interested to hear your opinion though.  Thanks.

Yes, I see now what you mean with the light...

Now you say you own one of the boat, so I can ask you this...

Are you saying that all those fishing boat in the video are exact the same length?
2023-5-1
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

Burt37 Posted at 5-1 12:01
Yes, I see now what you mean with the light...

Now you say you own one of the boat, so I can ask you this...

Actually i don't own one of the boats but yes most of the boats would be about the same length unlike how it looks. There may be older boats that would be slightly shorter but i think most are the exact same length.
2023-5-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

goalie.brent Posted at 5-1 12:15
Actually i don't own one of the boats but yes most of the boats would be about the same length unlike how it looks. There may be older boats that would be slightly shorter but i think most are the exact same length.

If you could, it would be interesting to find out some of the brand of those lobster's boats and then find out how many different lengths the manufacturer have sold in the past 30 years. Some companies have gone belly up, but some are still there... You may be up for a surprise...

The ones in your video, seems to be Cloudburst Fishing Company boats...
2023-5-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. Kindly please provide us with the original video file via Google Drive so we can check it further. Thank you for your cooperation. Have a nice day ahead.
2023-5-1
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

Burt37 Posted at 5-1 16:29
If you could, it would be interesting to find out some of the brand of those lobster's boats and then find out how many different lengths the manufacturer have sold in the past 30 years. Some companies have gone belly up, but some are still there... You may be up for a surprise...

The ones in your video, seems to be Cloudburst Fishing Company boats...

I don't think there are any name brand boats.  There are a number of ship builders around the Canadian maritimes.  I did check with a fisherman and most boats are 45 feet long (as that is the regulated hull length).  Some may have a 5 foot extension.  But to answer your question just about all boats are the same length.  
2023-5-2
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-1 17:40
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. Kindly please provide us with the original video file via Google Drive so we can check it further. Thank you for your cooperation. Have a nice day ahead.

Thank you.  I've concluded as a result of the conversations with others that this is simply the way it is with this drone.  The raw footage and the outputted footage has the same distortion.  I was thinking there was something wrong with the rendering or a setting.  But it seems this is just the way it is.
2023-5-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

goalie.brent Posted at 5-2 05:22
Thank you.  I've concluded as a result of the conversations with others that this is simply the way it is with this drone.  The raw footage and the outputted footage has the same distortion.  I was thinking there was something wrong with the rendering or a setting.  But it seems this is just the way it is.

Thank you for keeping us posted. Should you have other inquiries or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach us. Have a nice day ahead!
2023-5-4
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

goalie.brent Posted at 4-30 09:04

Lol, the Mavic 2 Pro had such bad lens distortion that DJI released a Premier/FCPX plugin to correct it!
2023-5-4
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

CloudVisual Posted at 5-4 01:06
Lol, the Mavic 2 Pro had such bad lens distortion that DJI released a Premier/FCPX plugin to correct it!

LOL Well since I don't use Premier and don't have the fix, and yet, it has very little distortion compared to the Mavic 3 Classic.  The Mavic 2 Pro has a lens with a FOV 77 degrees.  The Mavic 3 family (all three) have a FOV of 84 degrees.  There is obvious distortion in the original video I posted taken with the Mavic 3 Classic and very little distortion in the other two videos I posted that were taken with the Mavic 2 Pro.  I'm sure part of the issue is that I'm filming a lot of fishing boats which makes the distortion more obvious.  It seems to be the way it is, so I'll either have to watch the angles when I'm flying or edit out the parts that show the distortion.
2023-5-4
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

goalie.brent Posted at 5-4 08:47
LOL Well since I don't use Premier and don't have the fix, and yet, it has very little distortion compared to the Mavic 3 Classic.  The Mavic 2 Pro has a lens with a FOV 77 degrees.  The Mavic 3 family (all three) have a FOV of 84 degrees.  There is obvious distortion in the original video I posted taken with the Mavic 3 Classic and very little distortion in the other two videos I posted that were taken with the Mavic 2 Pro.  I'm sure part of the issue is that I'm filming a lot of fishing boats which makes the distortion more obvious.  It seems to be the way it is, so I'll either have to watch the angles when I'm flying or edit out the parts that show the distortion.

If you can't spot the distortion in the Mavic 2 Pro then you whatever you think you see in the Mavic 3 doesn't exist.

To spot distortion, look at the horizon. Not on some fishing boat which looks longer than you think it should be.
2023-5-4
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

CloudVisual Posted at 5-4 09:03
If you can't spot the distortion in the Mavic 2 Pro then you whatever you think you see in the Mavic 3 doesn't exist.

To spot distortion, look at the horizon. Not on some fishing boat which looks longer than you think it should be.

LOL Nope I haven't, and neither have the thousands of people who have watched my videos.  But the Mavic 3 Classic videos I have had people comment about the fact that the boats look weird.  
2023-5-4
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

goalie.brent Posted at 5-4 09:12
LOL Nope I haven't, and neither have the thousands of people who have watched my videos.  But the Mavic 3 Classic videos I have had people comment about the fact that the boats look weird.

My point is proven. You didn't spot the distortion, someone else did.

If you can't see that the M2P is distorted, then I wouldn't worry about you M3C.
2023-5-5
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

CloudVisual Posted at 5-5 03:22
My point is proven. You didn't spot the distortion, someone else did.

If you can't see that the M2P is distorted, then I wouldn't worry about you M3C.
Lol you need to learn to read. No one had ever commented about distortion on any of my photos of videos taken with the mavic 2 pro (and off posted hundreds and have had thousands of likes and views). But they have with the mavic 3 classic.  And as i have said it is what it is and i will have to change how i film and edit.  
2023-5-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

goalie.brent Posted at 5-5 03:26
Lol you need to learn to read. No one had ever commented about distortion on any of my photos of videos taken with the mavic 2 pro (and off posted hundreds and have had thousands of likes and views). But they have with the mavic 3 classic.  And as i have said it is what it is and i will have to change how i film and edit.

No one had ever commented about distortion on any of my photos of videos taken with the mavic 2 pro  .... But they have with the mavic 3 classic.

How many have?
Just one or two?
Or more than that?

I looked at that video 15 times and had trouble seeing anything worth complaining about or even commenting on.
I can't see it being as bad as you've made out.

2023-5-5
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

Labroides Posted at 5-5 04:31
No one had ever commented about distortion on any of my photos of videos taken with the mavic 2 pro  .... But they have with the mavic 3 classic.

How many have?

fyi...my "lol" was directed at a different commenter.  I suspect the reason why you didn't spot the distortion is because you may not be around fishing boats a lot.  In the original video I posted, all boats are the same length.  But some look about 20-30% longer.  Yes my wife tells me I am a perfectionist in some things.  I do confess that to be true.  
2023-5-5
Use props
Jake. A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

goalie.brent Posted at 4-30 07:22
I'll do my best.  If the drone is perpendicular to the boats they look fine, but as the drone slides down to the left and the boats are coming from the bottom left to the top right, they are elongate.  The look like someone stretched them.  I'm thinking it's something in the rendering as I can't imagine DJI doing something so stupid.  I'm using Davinci Resolve.

Thats probably due to a wide angle lens.
2023-5-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

goalie.brent Posted at 5-5 04:37
fyi...my "lol" was directed at a different commenter.  I suspect the reason why you didn't spot the distortion is because you may not be around fishing boats a lot.  In the original video I posted, all boats are the same length.  But some look about 20-30% longer.  Yes my wife tells me I am a perfectionist in some things.  I do confess that to be true.

I suspect the reason why you didn't spot the distortion is because you may not be around fishing boats a lot.
Guess again ... I've been around boats for a long time.
Lived aboard for 4 years, cruised 12000 miles.
I'm ashore nowdays but still spend a lot of time on boats.

So how many peple actually commented on this?

btw .. Have a lookout for the Mavic 3 pro arriving next week.
I've got one on order, particularly for shooting boats with the short tele lens.

I haven't had any problem with the wideangle main camera of the Mavic 3, but after shooting with only wideangles for years, I can't wait to have a different perspective.

2023-5-5
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Canada

Jake. A Posted at 5-5 05:20
Thats probably due to a wide angle lens.

Just to be clear I didn't add any lens.  It's just the way the Mavic 3 Classic is.  84 degree FOV compared to 77 on the Mavic 2 Pro.  I guess I'll have to adapt.
2023-5-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules