1518 12 2023-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alexis Images
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2613068 ft
Cyprus

Hi all,
Loving the hyperlapse using waypoints feature on the Mini 3 Pro. I have "saved" a number of different routes to repeat them as I am documenting a construction's progression.

Although the drone follows the various waypoints fairly faithfully, it does not seem to follow the HEIGHT that was initially set. For example I have created and saved a 350-image near-circular route using 7 waypoints at a height of 25m height. Every week it flies at a different height; one week at 33m, the next 18m another time 21 and almost never at the recorded 25m - any suggestions or workarounds?

2023-5-2
Use props
dronethemoment
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9021293 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just curious about your take off point? Are you taking off from different places or exactly the same place?  Are you always taking off exactly the same, like from the ground?  This could be something to look at.

I haven’t been able to faithfully repeat a waypoint mission on the mini 3 or even Mavic 3 without it being a few feet off.  On the Mavic 3 pro I had a video waypoint setup to test different ND Filters. Flew them back to back 5 times and couldn’t even get video to line up in Final Cut.  They were always a couple feet off.  
2023-5-2
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Waypoint in Mini 3 pro is missing the professional accuracy thats what I have learnt too.

GPS accuracy can vary from upto 50 feet vertically depending on various factors, such as air pressure, weather condition. Also note that altitude is calculated from & related to your take off (Home point) location so it has to be exactly the same to minimize the difference.

What we need is "offset altitude feature" where we can nudge the drone to exact height for starting the mission & it adjusts all the waypoints accordingly.

Dronelink app is in beta now & I got to know that it has offset altitude feature to solve this problem, not sure how accurate it can be doing reparable waypoint mission.  
2023-5-2
Use props
Alexis Images
lvl.2
Cyprus

dronethemoment Posted at 5-2 13:28
Just curious about your take off point? Are you taking off from different places or exactly the same place?  Are you always taking off exactly the same, like from the ground?  This could be something to look at.

I haven’t been able to faithfully repeat a waypoint mission on the mini 3 or even Mavic 3 without it being a few feet off.  On the Mavic 3 pro I had a video waypoint setup to test different ND Filters. Flew them back to back 5 times and couldn’t even get video to line up in Final Cut.  They were always a couple feet off.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.
Both the creation and execution of the hyperlapse "mission" is done with me parked in my car in the EXACT same parking space with the drone take-off been done with me sitting at the driver's seat and taking off from my hand sticking out of the driver-side window! Could not be more "repeatable"!!!
2023-5-2
Use props
Alexis Images
lvl.2
Cyprus

Ranjan Posted at 5-2 19:33
Waypoint in Mini 3 pro is missing the professional accuracy thats what I have learnt too.

GPS accuracy can vary from upto 50 feet vertically depending on various factors, such as air pressure, weather condition. Also note that altitude is calculated from & related to your take off (Home point) location so it has to be exactly the same to minimize the difference.

Launch point is always the same but weather conditions certainly do differ.
Are you ware if DronLink does hyperlapse - I have already wasted a lot of time looking at DroneDeploy which is not suitable for what I am planning to do.
Thanks for your feedback,
2023-5-2
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Alexis Images Posted at 5-2 23:24
Launch point is always the same but weather conditions certainly do differ.
Are you ware if DronLink does hyperlapse - I have already wasted a lot of time looking at DroneDeploy which is not suitable for what I am planning to do.
Thanks for your feedback,

Yes they confirmed about waypoint mission along with offset setting.
Base plan doesn't offer offset their pro plan has offset setting.

https://support.dronelink.com/hc ... a-Waypoints-Mission
2023-5-3
Use props
Alexis Images
lvl.2
Cyprus

Ranjan Posted at 5-3 00:42
Yes they confirmed about waypoint mission along with offset setting.
Base plan doesn't offer offset their pro plan has offset setting.

Thanks - very helpful!
2023-5-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Alexis. Thank you for reaching out. When saving the task in the Task Library and executing the task, the altitude used is the altitude measured by the barometer, which is easily affected by many factors such as weather, and may have a deviation. This issue is inevitable even after optimization and has not yet been resolved in the industry. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If the altitude difference is too large to use the Task Library, we recommend that you land the aircraft and power it off, then power it on and fly it again. The recommended flight altitude for Hyperlapse is above 50 m. The higher the altitude, the lower the impact of the barometer error on the video effect.
2023-5-3
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-3 23:49
Hi, Alexis. Thank you for reaching out. When saving the task in the Task Library and executing the task, the altitude used is the altitude measured by the barometer, which is easily affected by many factors such as weather, and may have a deviation. This issue is inevitable even after optimization and has not yet been resolved in the industry. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If the altitude difference is too large to use the Task Library, we recommend that you land the aircraft and power it off, then power it on and fly it again. The recommended flight altitude for Hyperlapse is above 50 m. The higher the altitude, the lower the impact of the barometer error on the video effect.

Thats interesting to know that above 50 m its going to have less impact on height variation.
I will test hopefully this weekend & see how it performs.
2023-5-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ranjan Posted at 5-4 01:23
Thats interesting to know that above 50 m its going to have less impact on height variation.

"the higher the altitude, the lower the impact of the barometer error on the video effect."

Horizon video effect of 5 meter height variation  flying at 500 meters height is almost not seen, flying at 15 meter 5 meter height variation is easily spotted.

So not the barometer height variation is less flyinh higher but the visual effect on the footage.

cheers
JJB
2023-5-4
Use props
KellyTX
New
Flight distance : 39948 ft
United States

Yeah, we need an OFFSET feature! I'd like a "zero" or "tare" for the altitude. I fly a circuit over our lake that is being drained for dam repair. I take off from the exact same spot on a concrete slab. Would be nice to set it as the zero point for my wayfinding route, so I could replicate exact locations including altitude for photos. A time lapse from the exact same location over a year would be wonderful.
2023-5-4
Use props
KellyTX
New
Flight distance : 39948 ft
United States

Alexis, you may want to read this https://pilotinstitute.com/drone-altimeters/  If you need accuracy you’ll need a different drone with different sensors.
2023-5-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Ranjan Posted at 5-4 01:23
Thats interesting to know that above 50 m its going to have less impact on height variation.

You're welcome, Ranjan. Have a safe flight always!
2023-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules