Battery "break-in" and max depletion on regular flights
1288 8 2015-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Patinito
lvl.2

United States

Read that the first few flights (not sure how many exactly) you should let new batteries only deplete to 50%. I haven't done that in 6 total flights with 4 batteries because I was not aware. Can/Will this become an issue with the future life of the batteries?

Second, most people on the forums say that they try not to let the batteries get below 25% to avoid heat and longevity issues. Do you agree?

Lastly, others also said that they do not let the batteries get below the 8% that DJI is instructing to do after 20 cycles because of potential damages to the batteries. Thoughts?

Thanks fellow pilots.
2015-8-24
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

What i know is permanent damage happens to the cells when they go below 3.5 volts and starts to loose voltage rapidly and battery shutdown and might not be charged ever again.

From my 10 years of experience with lipo batteries since they came out is never ever go below 3.6 on load if you want to keep the battery for a long time, and when the battery is left for a couple of days unused some of the cells loose voltage more than the others and then the battery becomes unbalanced which is very dangerous, so when stored at 50% the resistance to discharge is higher then when at 100%, so charge before you fly and discharge at 50% when storing and never go below 3.6 volts under load.
2015-8-24
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

I have four batteries right now and have from day one ran them to %10, on occasions below. I run them to %8 or less every 20 times. I got 200+ flights so averaging 50+ on each battery. I won't worry about the battery life, I'm gonna enjoy the p3 and if the batteries don't last as long, I will change the way I treat them on the next ones.
2015-8-24
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Would there be any DJI technical employees on this forum that could offer guidance on battery break-in, storage charge, etc?
I'm flying for fun and run my batteries down to about 26% unless I need a little more flight time for a safe recovery.
2015-8-25
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

I usually try to fly mine down to about 35%
2015-8-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-25 17:46
Would there be any DJI technical employees on this forum that could offer guidance on battery break- ...

under help in dji app, click on the pdf put out by dji on the battery use and maintenance
2015-8-25
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Look around on this forum.  Someone posted links to an excellent paper on the treatment, life cycles, charging, and discharging Lithium based batteries.  It takes a little reading, but it's all there.  I don't have the link anymore, so see if you can search it out.  I'll take a look also and post if I find it again.  Do NOT discharge too far, and do NOT charge them up and leave them charged for long periods of time.  Storage charge is around 50% if I remember correctly.
2015-8-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

This?

http://www.dronethusiast.com/ultimate-drone-battery-care/

Enjoy...

RedHotPoker
2015-8-25
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-25 23:33
under help in dji app, click on the pdf put out by dji on the battery use and maintenance

Thanks Ray, I've reviewed that info.  Was looking for a DJI employee to respond.  In fact since this is their forum it would be great to hear more from DJI on all issues.
2015-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules