No Fly Zone
1700 12 2015-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kgjamison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460751 ft
United States

Thoughts? I got the opportunity this past weekend to film and photograph Sprint Boats (14' Boats with 850 hp in 3' feet of water). There is a reason they have rollbars! I talked to the airport manager, the FBO and had a scanner to monitor the airport frequency. This airport doesn't have a control tower.  I was outside the no fly zone (you can see the track if you zoom in at the position between 8 & the 9'oclock position). I was only going to be up around 25' (well below tree top height).

Here is the problem. It thought it was in the no fly zone. The app showed "No Fly" and the motors wouldn't power up. Ugh. Could it have been an elevation problem? It is a bit up from the airport but looks like it's outside and below the elevation limits.
I used this same method in Key west in May (but contacted and got permission from the ATC since they do have a control tower) and it flew great.
Thoughts?

image.jpg
2015-8-24
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

It seems like from what i am seeing here is a trend of phantoms getting close to airports, hospitals and high population areas. They must have mind control to push people that own them to go to these locations.
2015-8-24
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-25 13:06
It seems like from what i am seeing here is a trend of phantoms getting close to airports, hospitals ...

Seriously, did you read the post?
2015-8-25
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

You lost me at thoughts ?
2015-8-25
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-25 22:41
You lost me at thoughts ?

I was looking for help on why the P3P saw it was inside the no fly zone when it is outside the circle and I believe it is under the graduating height circle (expands outward).
2015-8-25
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Where exactly is this located?

OK, looked up the airport, and it's in Port Angeles, WA ...

What's the question, again?

This is clearly within the DJI Phantom 3 No-fly zones, as an active airport. This is burned into the firmware, and there is no (OK, not no, but no "legitimate" way around this).

http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 10.25.19 AM.png
2015-8-25
Use props
al.zamorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256362 ft
United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-8-25 22:56

Google says the airport is in the Northwest corner of Washington State
2015-8-25
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

DJI has adopted a proactive stance to prohibit use of their drones within 5 miles of many airports, as the leader in drones purchased in the US, by incorporating a restrictive form of geofencing into their latest equipment, the P3 and Inspire series.

You can disagree with this but it won't change it.
2015-8-25
Use props
al.zamorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256362 ft
United States

I use an app called Hover that uses the GPS in your phone to show you the 5 mile boundary around airports etc. and will put a pin on the map of your current location.  The Flysafe map circle is only the 1 mile circle. Here is your airport on Hover as a screen shot

2015-8-25
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

al.zamorski Posted at 2015-8-26 00:55
I use an app called Hoover that uses the GPS in your phone to show you the 5 mile boundary around a ...

Al, being in accordance with the FAA or any other governing body or app is immaterial in this case (though rightfully, not immaterial to flying safely and responsibly): What the OP is talking about is the inability to even start the motors, which is within the DJI firmware.
2015-8-25
Use props
heyandy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413009 ft
United States

The problem, this is not the rule!

The only true "no fly" from an airport is draw a straight line through all runways at an airport for 5 miles in both directions.  At the end of the runway and the end of the 5 mile line, draw lines 1 mile in both directions and connect them toghether (on either end of the runway you will have a rectangle 2 miles wide by 5 miles long.), you will now have two rectangles for each runway at the airport.  THOSE are the only TRUE no fly zones!  Anything else within the 5 mile radius circle you may call the tower and ask for permission to fly, each tower can ddefine their own rules, but most will ask for a cell phone number they can call if they need to have you land or revoke permission, and have you call when complete flying.  I know, I work near a towered county airport and have talked with the tower manager serveral times to lay out what they want.   So DJI can only define the said boxes as no fly zones, within the circle permissions can be granted.
2015-8-25
Use props
heyandy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413009 ft
United States

The problem, this is not the rule!

The only true "no fly" from an airport is draw a straight line through all runways at an airport for 5 miles in both directions.  At the end of the runway and the end of the 5 mile line, draw lines 1 mile in both directions and connect them toghether (on either end of the runway you will have a rectangle 2 miles wide by 5 miles long.), you will now have two rectangles for each runway at the airport.  THOSE are the only TRUE no fly zones!  Anything else within the 5 mile radius circle you may call the tower and ask for permission to fly, each tower can ddefine their own rules, but most will ask for a cell phone number they can call if they need to have you land or revoke permission, and have you call when complete flying.  I know, I work near a towered county airport and have talked with the tower manager serveral times to lay out what they want.   So DJI can only define the said boxes as no fly zones, within the circle permissions can be granted.
2015-8-25
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

Andy, I am well aware of the FAA restrictions and requirements, and once again, THIS IS A MOOT POINT relative to the OP. He was only wondering why his engines wouldn't start because he thought he was in a area that was not a no-fly zone, and this ONLY has to do with the DJI firmware.

Everybody can continue to quote chapter and verse from Map.io, Hover (not Hoover, BTW), or even the FAA sectional chart, and it still doesn't matter. If the DJI firmware has the wrong information, you will not be able to fly.

kgjamison, if you are certain you are not in a no-fly area, contact DJI support, and let them know. If you are correct, then they will (possibly) rectify the situation.
2015-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules