D-Cinelike HDR question
2283 10 2023-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi guys,

So my understanding of the M3P's relationship to colour/dynamic range is as follows:

I assume there is some sort of bandwidth/processing bottleneck, meaning when filming in 8-bit colour you need more compression as frame rate increases, thus 60fps is not listed as HDR (I know it's not true HDR). It makes sense to me that there is a sacrifice at higher frame rates if the system can't process all the data in real time.

So my question is - when shooting in D-Cinelike, what is the dynamic range situation? I see that it is 10 bit colour, but colour depth isn't related to dynamic range. It would be odd if you could shoot in D-Cinelike @ 60fps and get the same (or more) dynamic range than 8-bit 30fps.

I want to shoot in 60fps and have the widest dynamic range possible. What should I choose?
2023-5-8
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

DJI Mavic 3 (Classic, Standart, Pro)
2023-5-8
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

D-Cinelike will surely be less processed & recorded in 10bit hence will be able to pull more details in shadow & highlights giving impression of wider dynamic range.

This is on my agenda to test it in higher contrast ratio scenes sometime this summer when I get time.

You should be good to go with Dcinelike 10 bit 60fps.
2023-5-9
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Mini 3 Pro HDR is produced by recording and merging 2 videos with different exposure, thus it requires more processing power and cover wider range. On the other hand, D-Cinelike is artificially compressed 10 bit color (not real 10 bit though) that you can stretch in post and get better results. In my experience you can get more range with D-Cinelike.
2023-5-9
Use props
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tuxtard Posted at 5-9 06:41
Mini 3 Pro HDR is produced by recording and merging 2 videos with different exposure, thus it requires more processing power and cover wider range. On the other hand, D-Cinelike is artificially compressed 10 bit color (not real 10 bit though) that you can stretch in post and get better results. In my experience you can get more range with D-Cinelike.

Thats very helpful, thanks!
2023-5-9
Use props
acepaul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14757 ft
United States

Probably important to mention that the dynamic range of any camera is a function of how many stops the sensor can detect between black and white. While HDR methods can artificially increase this range somewhat, processing can only take away from it. I have not had a chance to test head to head shots with D-Cinelike but similar settings on other cameras are indeed better for professional color grading. Looks like there are plenty of LUTs out there for the Mini 3 Pro.
2023-5-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Sir Jackington. Thank you for reaching out. The color depth of the DJI Mini 3 Pro D-Cinelike color is 10-bit.DJI Mini 3 Pro uses DCG HDR technology, which is different from standard HDR (stack technology). DCG HDR is an HDR technology for CMOS, which can capture details in dark parts without losing details in highlights, thus generating multi-exposure fusion video. This video has a higher dynamic range compared with ordinary video, but the generated file is not standard HDR footage. So after being imported into the color correction software, there are no obvious visual differences between the HDR video of DJI Mini 3 Pro and a high frame rate video with the same specification. You can adjust the exposure curve to see the differences in the dark part details. For the color depth and dynamic range of the DJI Mini 3 Pro camera, please see the details below:
If it is a 12 or 48 MP photo in the format of JPEG, the color depth is 8 bit;
if it is a 12 MP photo with the format of RAW, the color depth is 12 bit;
if it is a 48 MP photo with the format of RAW, the color depth is 10 bit;
if it is a video, the color depth is 8 bit. The color depth of the DJI Mini 3 Pro-D-Cinelike color is 10 bit.
The dynamic range of HDR/RAW is 12.6 f-stops, and that of the others is 10.9 f-stops.
Video gamut: Rec. 709.
* Some mobile devices are not compatible with the 10-bit specification, so the video may not play. It may also freeze or have abnormal colors when played.
2023-5-10
Use props
acepaul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14757 ft
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-10 20:00
Hi, Sir Jackington. Thank you for reaching out. The color depth of the DJI Mini 3 Pro D-Cinelike color is 10-bit.DJI Mini 3 Pro uses DCG HDR technology, which is different from standard HDR (stack technology). DCG HDR is an HDR technology for CMOS, which can capture details in dark parts without losing details in highlights, thus generating multi-exposure fusion video. This video has a higher dynamic range compared with ordinary video, but the generated file is not standard HDR footage. So after being imported into the color correction software, there are no obvious visual differences between the HDR video of DJI Mini 3 Pro and a high frame rate video with the same specification. You can adjust the exposure curve to see the differences in the dark part details.

Just to clarify, you are saying that in this non-standard "HDR" footage when you bring down the highs and bump up the lows you will have increased detail in both compared to "normal" footage? Can you please explain how that is achieved?
2023-5-12
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

acepaul Posted at 5-12 11:16
Just to clarify, you are saying that in this non-standard "HDR" footage when you bring down the highs and bump up the lows you will have increased detail in both compared to "normal" footage? Can you please explain how that is achieved?

2023-5-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, acepaul. Let me confirm this with our relevant team. We'll get back to you once we receive an update. Thank you.
2023-5-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, acepaul. Thank you for patiently waiting. We now received feedback from our relevant team. The characteristics of DCG HDR are like this. This technology is an HDR technology algorithm that acts on CMOS, so the effect directly presented is like this. Please watch the video provided by Ranjan above that introduces the characteristics and principles of this technology.
2023-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules