HELP! Gimbal jerky, jumpy twitchy problem
6807 25 2014-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

I have the latest Phantom 2 (with updated motors, props, controller etc.) with the H3-3D gimbal. Been flying and filming with it for about 4 weeks with wonderful, smooth and fluid video. I've not had a single mishap, crash or even a hard landing. I'm now getting random bumps, jumps and jerks when filming. To my knowledge I didn’t have this issue before installing the recent FPV system. The movement with just the H3-3D gimbal and Anti Interference Board was absolutely fluid and constantly smooth.

Now I have terrible full frame jittery and jumpy random movement. Link below illustrates.

http://youtu.be/acrCtbqkvrY

New FPV equipment
- Black Pearl Flysight diversity Monitor
- DJI FPV Hub kit
- ALV58 transmitter (Belly mounted with thick velcro as far away from the compass as possible as advised by DJI’s web site)
- iOSD mini (Belly mounted with thick velcro next to the AVL58)

Here's what I've done to trouble shoot:
- Made sure nothing was touching full movement of gimbal (Parts, ribbon cables, velcro etc.)
- Calibrated compass and checked IMU
- Advanced compass calibration
- I've calibrated the controller in the RC and PT2 software- Calibrated X1 channel in the RC and PT2 software.
- Rechecked my advanced gimbal settings, limits, gain etc. in PT2 software

- Checked for all firmware updates
- Counter balanced gimbal to compensate for Hero 4’s added weight and super light SRP ND8 filter. (Balance is near perfect with no resistance or noticable motor strain)
- Removed ND filter and all counter weight and flew the GoPro naked as recommend with the 3 and 3+
- Tried a different Hero 4 camera
- Tried diffent combinations of Black, White and Gray dampners. (Two Gray up front and two white in the rear "works best" thus far)
- Inspected the gimbal motors while powered on for resistance, odd sounds, debris and dirt.

- Factory Reset gimbal and re-uploaded firmware
- Opened up Phantom and checked Anti Interference Board connections were ok where I did the internal install.

Some may view the movement as subtle and no problem but to me it’s enough to completely ruin a shot. The movements are too violent for something like Warp Stabilize to fix in post.

Sorry for the long post. Just want to give folks enough info to respond to. Any suggestions and/or recommendations are most appreciated.

2014-12-6
Use props
DJI-Autumn;-)
Second Officer

China

Reinstall your FPV system then have a try..
If you replace the vibration absorbers with those with 40〬of rigidity but still not help..
I think you need to contact the dealer or support center...
2014-12-11
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have found the white balls to work best in most circumstances.  What are your gains.  We recommend default but you may want to lower them by 10points and see if that works.  I watched your video.  If you can see the motor arms in the screen you are moving very fast.  That is not normally how I film usable video.  Slow controlled movements produce the best results.  If you are looking for absolutely stable video under the most extreme conditions you will be disappointed in all gimbals.  At least I have not found one yet that will provide those results in hobby grade products.  Change the vibration isolation mounts, lower the gains and slow your Phantom down.  Let us know if that helps.
2014-12-11
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-12-12 09:01
I have found the white balls to work best in most circumstances.  What are your gains.  We recommend ...

Thanks for the reply and tips to try.

Unfortunately the shaky video example where I'm moving aggressively was the only tests I kept at the end of two days worth of tests. (Yes slow gradual moves usually work best for creating usable cinematic video. But notice that the gimbal still jerks and jumps randomly in the shots where it's just hovering or as I begin to move, or slow to a rest after a move. The random twitch is present regardless how agressively it's flying or not.) I'm also comparing this issue to my other Phantom 2. It has none of the jittery, jerky gimbal issues that the 1st Phantom now has. Regardless of speed or aggressive fly maneuvers it's footage is smooth as silk. No random bump, jump or jerk at any point. Just like the jittery gimbal was when I first got it about a month ago.

I've also ran the gambit on dampeners. I've tried all of them, ran test, looked at the footage and tweaked accordingly. For my two Phantoms, props balanced, it appears that 3 white and one gray is the sweet spot. All four white started giving my Phantoms a wicked shimmy. Adding just one of the more rigid gray dampeners stiffened up the resistance just enough to remove the shimmy.

The only thing I haven't messed with are the gains. I'm a little reluctant to fool with these. 1. Because I'm happy with the flight performance as they are. 2. Other than the gimbal tilt gain (which is mute with the V2 controller tilt wheel) I don't see that the other performance gains have any relation to the gimbal twitching. Exactly which gain setting would you adjust to see if it has an effect on the gimbal twitch?

I know I should just send it to DJI.  (I sent a support email almost two weeks ago. I've heard nothing.) It's almost less trouble to just buy another gimbal. Eitherway the consumer looses.

Thanks again for your reply. I really appreciate it.

2014-12-14
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Autumn;-) Posted at 2014-12-11 16:41
Reinstall your FPV system then have a try..
If you replace the vibration absorbers with those with 4 ...

Thanks for the tips. I've tried all you've recommended.
2014-12-14
Use props
kaselsk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56585 ft
Latvia

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2014-12-14 22:49
Thanks for the tips. I've tried all you've recommended.

Do you try lower a gains? I have a same issue ;(
2014-12-14
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

kaselsk@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-14 23:46
Do you try lower a gains? I have a same issue ;(

No I haven't tried to lower the gains. Waiting to hear from Tahoe_Ed as to which gains I should attempt to lower to fix the jumpy, jerky gimbal twitch.
2014-12-14
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2014-12-15 00:00
No I haven't tried to lower the gains. Waiting to hear from Tahoe_Ed as to which gains I should att ...

I would lower the basic gains.  The basic gains control the way the Phantom reacts to the environment.  The ATTI gains are how it reacts to the sticks.  DJI prefers higher gains on ATTI than I prefer.  Basic gains are between 110-145 and ATTI gains between 90-135.  Find what works for you.
2014-12-14
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-12-15 00:56
I would lower the basic gains.  The basic gains control the way the Phantom reacts to the environm ...

Great. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks much for the clarificaiton!
2014-12-14
Use props
kaselsk
lvl.2
Latvia

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2014-12-15 01:10
Great. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks much for the clarificaiton!

I will try this gains tomorrow too Hope it will help
2014-12-14
Use props
kaselsk
lvl.2
Latvia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-12-15 00:56
I would lower the basic gains.  The basic gains control the way the Phantom reacts to the environm ...

Yesterday i try this gains settings and my gimbal was super smooth.. but today i saw this problem again...  This problem is also when i am hovering...  i try to fly indoor and its the same...
2014-12-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

kaselsk@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-16 23:11
Yesterday i try this gains settings and my gimbal was super smooth.. but today i saw this problem  ...

If you are getting an intermittent problem then my question is what changed between yesterday and today?  The gimbal is capable of acceptable performance only the conditions change.  How can we isolate those changes?
2014-12-16
Use props
kaselsk
lvl.2
Latvia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-12-17 01:03
If you are getting an intermittent problem then my question is what changed between yesterday and  ...

Nothing.... i just charge my batterie and fly. Maybe the wind today is stronger... But anyway if i look to my gimbal and phantom when its flying i dont see that the gimbal is twitcing or somthing like that. I try to remove props and with started motors walked around the room and the gimbal works very good... this issue is very strange.
2014-12-16
Use props
kaselsk
lvl.2
Latvia

There is new update for zenmuse h3-3d GCU 1.0.0.12 ... Maybe it will help solve this problem. I hope.
2014-12-19
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

kaselsk@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-19 17:58
There is new update for zenmuse h3-3d GCU 1.0.0.12 ... Maybe it will help solve this problem. I hope ...

Yes I saw this. Thanks much. I've loaded the new firmware update. Gimbal didn't brick like many did with the last firmware update but it didn't solve the problem.
2014-12-20
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

kaselsk@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-16 23:11
Yesterday i try this gains settings and my gimbal was super smooth.. but today i saw this problem  ...

Same problem as mine.
My tests have concluded...
• Happens randomly
• High winds or low winds
• 35 - 68 degree weather
• Interference Board installed
• Hovering, moving slowly or aggressively
• Even after Advanced IMU calibrations
• Even with perfectly balanced props
• Full battery or low battery
• Altitude makes no difference

I tried to return for a replacement to US Hobby before the 30 return policy ran out. Was informed that their policy has "recently changed" on DJI products even if the return is within the 30 warranty of US Hobby. ALL "defective" purchases have to be sent to DJI for service and/or review. As far as US Hobby goes - Even if you bought it yesterday and it became defective today, the authorized dealer is off the hook and you have to deal with DJI. What a shame!

I've ordered another H3-3D from B&H. B&H has given me 110% satisfaction in the past especially with replacing defective products such as this one. Hopefully this one will work but I'm also finding out if their 15 day return policy is still offered by B&H if DJI products turn out defective. I hope this isn't a globally mandated "must return to DJI regardless" policy from DJI for every dealer.  A bit unhappy and disapointed? Yes. I've still not received a response form DJI support that I emailed over 3 weeks ago. In addition to the shaky, jerky problem the gimbal has magically started to lean on a 2-3 degree tilt. Attached photo from the end of a 200m arrow straight flight with 3 mph wind. Great.

Gimbal tilt

Gimbal tilt
2014-12-20
Use props
kaselsk
lvl.2
Latvia

new update didnt solve problem
2014-12-22
Use props
kaselsk
lvl.2
Latvia

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2014-12-21 09:41
Same problem as mine.
• Happens randomly

do you try fly without fpv and without connected usb cable?
2014-12-22
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

kaselsk@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-22 20:52
do you try fly without fpv and without connected usb cable?

Yes, I've tried flying without fpv stuff plugged in. Just the gimbal. Same results.
2014-12-22
Use props
rray6
lvl.1

United States

Did this ever get resolved?  I had a version 1 controller with my Phantom 2 (non-Vision) and H3-3D.  A few months ago, I purchased the latest version with the thumbwheel for gimbal control.  At first, it worked fine - I liked it better than the old lever.  But lately, it has just started being very jerky.  When it is at rest and I try to move it, it acts like it is slipping and is jerky for a second or two and then starts moving.  When it reaches the stopping point, it jerks and again acts like it is slipping.  I have adjusted Gain, updated all firmware and software, and re-calibrated everything but the gimbal movement is horrible - just like the above descriptions.  I was afraid my gimbal was bad.  On a whim, I got my old version-1 controller and binded it to the Phantom.  The movement is silky smooth again.  No jerky movement with the old version-1 lever controller.  Could there be a problem with the version 3 controller?  That's what it seems like to me.   
2015-2-22
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

I wasn't able to resolve the problem with that gimbal. I bit the bullet and purchased a new H3-3D and the problem is completely gone. So must have been something defective in the first gimbal. I've also been able to resolve the tilted, unlevel horizon problem with some tweaks to an advanced IMU calibration.
2015-2-22
Use props
rray6
lvl.1

United States

I am glad you got it fixed.  I have temporarily resolved my problem by reverting to the old controller (with the lever gimbal control) and I do not have any jerkiness.   I recently updated all firmware for the Phantom and the new controller (thumb wheel version) but I have not updated the firmware for the old controller for several months.  This makes me wonder if the latest firmware for either the PA or REC might be the culprit.  I have heard of others with similar concerns.  I will continue to test the old and new controllers and hope that I do not have a gimbal problem.  Maybe DJI will come out with a new set of firmware that will solve some of these issues.
2015-2-23
Use props
Daryl.Watkins.g
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3741171 ft
  • >>>
United States

My H4-3D just started dropping straight down after about 3-4 mins of flight and then back to position.....it happens on every flight for the past week or so...I have my tilt gain at 4 for slowness, white dampeners and am up to date on software and IMU calibration.  What else could be wrong?
2015-2-26
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

The X1 switch that controls the up and down tilt are never calibrate out of the box. Try calibrating the remote controller.  This makes sure YOUR specific remote is talking correctly to the tilt motor of the gimbal.  First calibrate in the RC assistant app and then same thing again in the PT2 Application. When you do this also calibrate the X1 (X1 is your tilt control) and X2 on your remote control in addition to the two flight control sticks.

If this doesn't work... are you still under warranty? I'd just return it for a new one. I've had to return 2 brand new H3-3D gimbals because of quirky defects like what you're experiencing. Never flew either of them. One bricked after updating the firmware and the other kept doing a strange pulse twitch to the left. My experience with these gimbals hasn't been great. They either work great right out of the box.. or they just don't. Best to just replace it if you can.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
2015-2-26
Use props
mail.boxcottage
New

United Kingdom

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2014-12-21 09:41
Same problem as mine.
• Happens randomly

Exactly what I have. Was this resolved other than with a new gimbal?
2015-3-14
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

mail.boxcottage Posted at 2015-3-14 16:35
Exactly what I have. Was this resolved other than with a new gimbal?

Sorry to say, No.

So far I've had to return two brand new H3-3D gimbals. My experience has show that these gimbals are somewhat of a crap shoot. They either work... or they don't. If they don't work.... there's NOTHING you can do to "fix" them. I wasted about 20 hours of tinkering, testing, advanced calibrations, batt tests, counter balancing, adjusting, flying, comparing. etc. etc. Then I bought a new H3-3D. This new one died after updating the firmware. Never even got to fly with it. Did the factory reset trick to the gimbal a total of eleven times. Never came back to life. Returned it also. Got another new gimbal and....it just simply worked and still works.

My advice concerning the Zenmuse gimbal is to do what I do. When you first get it... test it hard. If there's ANYTHING peculiar about the way it performs... get rid of it. This is as good as this gimbal will ever perform. Most importantly buy it from a respectable dealer... not online from DJI. Like B&H Photo. Why? Because you can just return it within 30 days in exchange for a new one, no questions asked, if it has issues. No mandated on-line service requests for someone else to determine what should be done to "fix" your defective new gimbal problem. No mailing it off. No waiting 4+ months for service.
2015-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules